Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Problem with line

Hi All,

I have this great dry fly line, a Monic Micro Double Taper (DT4F), probably one of the best dry fly line I have tested: floats high, extremely supple and very soft landing/peel off from water.

Problem: right in the middle of the line, the line is twisting over about 1 foot. It is quite annoying when casting as the twist in the line results in the line coiling badly and jamming in the rod rings... I have tried to untwist the line by "pushing" the twists between my fingers from the middle of the line to the end of it, but because it is right in the middle, I don t seem to be able to fully untwist it, and it comes back... I have also try to leave the entire line in the current, but it only helped for 10 minutes and then the twist came back...

Several questions:
    • Is there any miracle trick to get rid of the twist in the line
    • Is it a common issue with this brand/model
    • How did this twist "build up" in the line in the first place?
    • I am borderline cutting the line in two, get rid of the twisted foot and "join" the line in the middle with braid

The line is otherwise in pristine condition and really satisfying to fish with, so I'm quite gutted at the moment...

Thanks

Pat

Default Re: Problem with line

Sounds defective- call the company and ask for a replacement.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

3. Default Re: Problem with line

Quote Originally Posted by osseous View Post
    Sounds defective- call the company and ask for a replacement.

I'm afraid I bought this line about 10 years ago, used it maybe 5 times since (It's my back up line for when my natural silk line is wet/doesn't have time to properly dry in between two fishing sessions... But actually my natural line dries quite fast so I very very rarely need the back up line)... I can't recall if it was like that when new... Also for the type of fishing I do with this line I rarely cast very far so rarely need more than 5-8meters of line, the coil is right in the middle so more 12/13m...But it is annoying when you need that extra few meters to reach the rising fish...

I would still give them a call- they're a pretty unique, small company. They may surprise you. They use urethane coatings, and I'm not sure what kind of core it may have. You could cut it and put a woven sleeve over the remaining segments. Coat that with a thin layer of flexible UV like green tube Solarez.

Have you tried stretching it?

Since it's a double taper line you could cut it in half and have two lines. Add some running line if you want more length.

6. Default Re: Problem with line

Quote Originally Posted by dillon View Post
    Have you tried stretching it?

Since it's a double taper line you could cut it in half and have two lines. Add some running line if you want more length.
    Yes, I have given it a good stretched, it did hep but the twist returns after 15min/half an hour...

I have written to Monic to see if they have an idea of what I could do. A good thing on their website: if you order a line from them and send them an old one for them to recycle it, they will refund you 25% of your purchase! That's quite some commitment to the environment!!!

Their precision dry fly taper looks very interesting too

Returning it sounds like the way to go

8. Default Re: Problem with line

Quote Originally Posted by dillon View Post
    Returning it sounds like the way to go
    Yes but wouldn't make sense as I live in the UK!!!

Southeastern Ontario, Canada (armpit of the trout fishing universe)

Ten year old line with a twist that doesn't respond to stretching. I'd say you're done. Send it back for the 25% off. It would help defray shipping and customs costs.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

10. Likes osseous liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by pati View Post
    Hi All,

I have this great dry fly line, a Monic Micro Double Taper (DT4F), probably one of the best dry fly line I have tested: floats high, extremely supple and very soft landing/peel off from water.

Problem: right in the middle of the line, the line is twisting over about 1 foot. It is quite annoying when casting as the twist in the line results in the line coiling badly and jamming in the rod rings... I have tried to untwist the line by "pushing" the twists between my fingers from the middle of the line to the end of it, but because it is right in the middle, I don t seem to be able to fully untwist it, and it comes back... I have also try to leave the entire line in the current, but it only helped for 10 minutes and then the twist came back...

Several questions:
    • Is there any miracle trick to get rid of the twist in the line
    • Is it a common issue with this brand/model
    • How did this twist "build up" in the line in the first place?
    • I am borderline cutting the line in two, get rid of the twisted foot and "join" the line in the middle with braid

The line is otherwise in pristine condition and really satisfying to fish with, so I'm quite gutted at the moment...

Thanks

Pat
    If it was my line I would take it in the shower with me and get the line very hot and try and massage the wrinkle out of it, or cut the line and re-install it with a braided loop, perhaps send it back and scream like hell-LOL When everything fails you could always just buy another line? my 2 cents-CB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast