Problem with line

pati

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have this great dry fly line, a Monic Micro Double Taper (DT4F), probably one of the best dry fly line I have tested: floats high, extremely supple and very soft landing/peel off from water.

Problem: right in the middle of the line, the line is twisting over about 1 foot. It is quite annoying when casting as the twist in the line results in the line coiling badly and jamming in the rod rings... I have tried to untwist the line by "pushing" the twists between my fingers from the middle of the line to the end of it, but because it is right in the middle, I don t seem to be able to fully untwist it, and it comes back... I have also try to leave the entire line in the current, but it only helped for 10 minutes and then the twist came back...

Several questions:
  • Is there any miracle trick to get rid of the twist in the line
  • Is it a common issue with this brand/model
  • How did this twist "build up" in the line in the first place?
  • I am borderline cutting the line in two, get rid of the twisted foot and "join" the line in the middle with braid

The line is otherwise in pristine condition and really satisfying to fish with, so I'm quite gutted at the moment...

Thanks

Pat

osseous

Reaction score
Sounds defective- call the company and ask for a replacement.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

pati

Reaction score
Sounds defective- call the company and ask for a replacement.

I'm afraid I bought this line about 10 years ago, used it maybe 5 times since (It's my back up line for when my natural silk line is wet/doesn't have time to properly dry in between two fishing sessions... But actually my natural line dries quite fast so I very very rarely need the back up line)... I can't recall if it was like that when new... Also for the type of fishing I do with this line I rarely cast very far so rarely need more than 5-8meters of line, the coil is right in the middle so more 12/13m...But it is annoying when you need that extra few meters to reach the rising fish...

osseous

Reaction score
I would still give them a call- they're a pretty unique, small company. They may surprise you. They use urethane coatings, and I'm not sure what kind of core it may have. You could cut it and put a woven sleeve over the remaining segments. Coat that with a thin layer of flexible UV like green tube Solarez.

dillon

Reaction score
Have you tried stretching it?

Since it's a double taper line you could cut it in half and have two lines. Add some running line if you want more length.

pati

Reaction score
Have you tried stretching it?

Since it's a double taper line you could cut it in half and have two lines. Add some running line if you want more length.
Yes, I have given it a good stretched, it did hep but the twist returns after 15min/half an hour...

I have written to Monic to see if they have an idea of what I could do. A good thing on their website: if you order a line from them and send them an old one for them to recycle it, they will refund you 25% of your purchase! That's quite some commitment to the environment!!!

Their precision dry fly taper looks very interesting too

cb3fish

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have this great dry fly line, a Monic Micro Double Taper (DT4F), probably one of the best dry fly line I have tested: floats high, extremely supple and very soft landing/peel off from water.

Problem: right in the middle of the line, the line is twisting over about 1 foot. It is quite annoying when casting as the twist in the line results in the line coiling badly and jamming in the rod rings... I have tried to untwist the line by "pushing" the twists between my fingers from the middle of the line to the end of it, but because it is right in the middle, I don t seem to be able to fully untwist it, and it comes back... I have also try to leave the entire line in the current, but it only helped for 10 minutes and then the twist came back...

Several questions:
  • I am borderline cutting the line in two, get rid of the twisted foot and "join" the line in the middle with braid

The line is otherwise in pristine condition and really satisfying to fish with, so I'm quite gutted at the moment...

Thanks

Pat
If it was my line I would take it in the shower with me and get the line very hot and try and massage the wrinkle out of it, or cut the line and re-install it with a braided loop, perhaps send it back and scream like hell-LOL When everything fails you could always just buy another line? my 2 cents-CB

knotjoe

Reaction score
Hi All,
Several questions:

Thanks

Pat
1. Dunno. I like the hot water & cool set trick idea alluded to by cb3fish in the discussion above. Don't much like the visual he offers, but the idea seems sound and simple enough to try on the next washing.

2. Hard to say.

3. It probably didn’t “build-up” more like someone “F’d up” (flubbed-up, of course:rolleyes:) when putting the line on the reel without realizing they buried a twist/loop/anomaly under many coils of tight line. Could’ve even happened before you bought it, load a twist on a factory spool and it’s seems plausible that it’ll take a certain permanence in the finished product.

4. Cut if you wish, but I’d mess with the (no too) hot water and then let it cool and set in what you think would be the desired form.

Given the age and the fact that you don’t fish this line frequently, if anything works to mend it proper it’ll probably take a few attempts with incremental results. Be patient and gentle.

ratchet

Reaction score
If the OP is pretty certain that the issue is caused by line twist, then how about the next time out fishing or casting on grass to try this: Make a cast and see if the problem still exists. If the twisted section is still there, pull out a bit more line to get some of the twisted section just outside the rod tip and then rotate the rod on it's axis several times in the counterclockwise direction. What you are trying to do is the remove the twists at that spot. If the next cast is better, you can rotate the rod a little more in the same direction. If it gets worst, try rotating in the opposite direction. Keep in mind that the original problem might not be due to line twist at all.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
If I were still dry fly fishing and my line had this issue I'd bin it. I'm sentimental about old tackle too and I saw you said you've had it ten years but...….. Honestly I wouldn't mess with it.

cb3fish

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ard,

That's funny. I remember maybe 12-15 years ago I went to Florida with with two "BRAND NEW" tan tarpon lines from Rio those lines would not stay straight, no matter how much we stretched them, soon as you made a cast they coiled right back up and remember it's 90 degrees in Florida, after missing lots of tarpon for the first 2-3 days I took my knife and cut them in pieces.

I understand this line problem this other fellow has isn't coiling it's a set in the line and sounds like it needs to me cut out, or throw it away. CB