Best purchase

Reaction score
What do you think is your best purchase/acquisition (after your license)? For me, I think it is my Omnitrax Vibram "Indrogrip" studded sole for my Korkers. Seem to keep me right side up.

Reaction score
Abel Nippers AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAh

flntknp17

Reaction score
Two products that I use a lot and wouldn’t change a thing about even if I could are my Simms Intruder wet wading boots, and my Scott Meridian 6wt......both are perfect IMHO.

Matt

flytie09

Reaction score
My Orvis Guide series Gortex wading jacket is up there. Right along side is my Korker Rocktrax cleats. Don't leave home without either one.

srock

Reaction score
This is a question that is hard to answer because it may not be the right question for someone who really enjoys fly fishing. Fly fishing involves a multiplicity of equipment items that are interdependent for someone to fly fish effectively and enjoyably. If I have Abel nippers but no fly rod the nippers will mainly serve as fingernail clippers. In my view, my best purchases are those that enable me to enjoy fly fishing at this time in my life based on what I can reasonably afford, such as fly rods, reels, fly lines, flies, nippers, waders, wading jackets, and so forth. As long as these pieces of equipment do their job and enable me to fish effectively I am happy. I try to avoid purchasing things that are ends in themselves, but are means to my fly fishing ends. Do we have favorite pieces of equipment? Yes, but we often only figure this out after using the equipment fly fishing and then comparing it to other equivalent items, such as fly rods. So, in hindsight I can say that I have a few favorite rods, reels, and other equipment that in hindsight I now believe were best purchases. But, I did not initially purchase them knowing they would be my best purchases in advance. Sorry for the ramble but as one gets older this happens more often. Best. SR

JDR

Reaction score
My wading staff. I find it hard to enjoy fishing with wet clothes, a concussion, broken hip, or lungs full of water.

driftless22

Reaction score
My wading staff. I find it hard to enjoy fishing with wet clothes, a concussion, broken hip, or lungs full of water.
I'll second the vote for a wading staff...mine is an older non-adjustable Simms staff. I regularly fish in places where felt is banned, and you cannot use studded boots, in order to avoid damaging boats or aircraft pontoons. IMO, rubber soles without studs are worthless, if the wading involves slick rocks. The wading staff is essential under these circumstances.

Lonnie Utah

Reaction score
My first graphite rod 30+ years ago, a lamiglass IM6 7' 4wt. It opened a whole new world of fishing to me.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Easily my kayak
At the time I bought it, some 25 years ago, I had a canoe and a float tube, but the kayak opened up whole new territories
I tell people all the time, "forget buying a new rod, get a kayak".

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
A basic book on flyfishing. I had a cheap rod/reel combo given to me as a kid, but really didn't know what to do with it to get it set up or anything. The rod sat for a long time, but the book got it going, along with this new-fangled thing called the internet.

Last edited:

hollisd

Reaction score
Dr. Slick hemostats

Side note: I seem to know where everything is from Fly Agra to tippet to fly boxes but I never put my car keys in the same place twice and spend so much time rifling through everything for my keys. This past week on the river was ridiculous so if anyone has a system let me know because with all the gear and merde strewn all over the car the most frustrating thing by far is locating my keys. I rent so don't have this dialed for I don't think it would happen as regularly were it my own car.

jangles

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Marana ,Hellazonia . Idaho , Utah , Mt , NM and Wy
Well I said Abel nippers as a prod to the nipper thread. But in all honesty my 19' 5th wheel travel trailer . While not new , it is in fairly decent condition and allows me to fly fish almost anywhere I want and be comfortable and have my best friend Bella the Lab with me . If not for this little camper I would not be able to take the fishing trips that I do .

PS: I like my Water Master Kodiak an awful lot , too . Incredible fishing machine!

Last edited:

jangles

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Marana ,Hellazonia . Idaho , Utah , Mt , NM and Wy
Dr. Slick hemostats

Side note: I seem to know where everything is from Fly Agra to tippet to fly boxes but I never put my car keys in the same place twice and spend so much time rifling through everything for my keys. This past week on the river was ridiculous so if anyone has a system let me know because with all the gear and merde strewn all over the car the most frustrating thing by far is locating my keys. I rent so don't have this dialed for I don't think it would happen as regularly were it my own car.
The next time you rent a vehicle rent one with the keyless entry pad on the door . My truck has it and I will never buy anything again that doesn't have this feature .