Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Applying floatant in advance

Default Applying floatant in advance

Some writers recommend applying floatant to dry flies prior to your fishing. There are spray products for this or you could use a 3M product. The idea is that you spray all of your flies and then when you go fishing you don't have to mess with floatant. Advocates claim that pretreated flies float better and longer that the ones you treat on the stream.

How well does this work? I'm thinking about taking all of my dry flies, washing them in just water, drying them, and then spraying them so they'll be ready when the season arrives. Is this such a hot idea?
    We're all in the same boat. We all come 'ere and we don't know why. We all go in our turn and we don't know where. If you are a bit better off, be thankful. And if you don't get into trouble an' make a fool of yourself, well, be thankful for that,'cos you easily might.--J.B.Priestley

Default Re: Applying floatant in advance

I used to tie up a bunch of dries, put them in a paper bag & spray a floatant or some type of tent sealer in the bag to waterproof them. Now I just put a drop of wateshed on them after I tie them. I guess you can clean your old flies & put a drop of watershed on them & let it dry before putting them back in the flybox. I don't like those pump spray bottles of floatant. I think there is a lot of waste. I usually fill a small 1 or 2 oz. bottle with this liquid floatant. I also carry a small bottle of 90% alcohol. When a fly gets gunked up I just put it in the alcohol bottle cover the opening with my thumb & shake it up, blow on it to dry it off then shake it up in the small bottle of floatant the same way & it's ready to go again. Another good floatant to pre- waterproof your flies is Loon's Aquel One last tip , Don't put floatant on CDC flies.

An ol'timer once told me to use 'Scotchgard' of 'Silicone' spray on my dries. Did it a few times years ago and seem to remember them floating well.

I just bought a bunch of smaller dryflies at a great sale, maybe I'll take some and try it again and then compare them side by side against flies treated with floatant right before being fished.

I use the powdered CDC material (comes in a shake vial) to coat my fly before I cast it out the first time. I also false cast a lot and that tends to keep the fly dry after a few long and unsuccessful drifts (which I think we all have every now and then). After a strike, I always re-powder the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Some writers recommend applying floatant to dry flies prior to your fishing. There are spray products for this or you could use a 3M product. The idea is that you spray all of your flies and then when you go fishing you don't have to mess with floatant. Advocates claim that pretreated flies float better and longer that the ones you treat on the stream.
    I tried that for a while with brand new flies. Did not seem to work very well for me. I think I used Watershed. After about the first hour, I ended up using just as much floatant at the stream as before I pre-treated with Watershed.

Instead, I reduced my on-stream floatant use by blowing on the fly to dry it and, as Pocono suggested, doing some false casts specifically to air dry it.

Here is a product that is very nice for pretreatment the fly
    Mouches sches : avec ce produit, faire flotter toutes les mouches seches pour pche de la truite
    Trygve

7. Default Re: Applying floatant in advance

I have been using scotchgard . I hang my dry fly's on a line in the garage, and give them a quick dusting of scotchgard ! About 4 or 5 hours later I'll come back for round two,and give them one more quick spray ! I usualy let them hang there for 24 hours to dry. One thing I have noticed is it seems to work best, if you apply it to "new" fly's ! I find if the fly has been fished beforehand, (even if it is bone dry) the treatment does not last as long as it will with "new" fly's ! Aside from that I dont use any other floatant !
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've used this stuff in the past
    Dip your flies in and let them dry.
    Just don't use it for it's intended purpose...on your windshield
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.” --- Horace Kephart

Now that's different. Does it to work?

I like using it on my windows and headlights, I just wish it held up longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hakai View Post
    I have been using scotchgard . I hang my dry fly's on a line in the garage, and give them a quick dusting of scotchgard ! About 4 or 5 hours later I'll come back for round two,and give them one more quick spray ! I usualy let them hang there for 24 hours to dry. One thing I have noticed is it seems to work best, if you apply it to "new" fly's ! I find if the fly has been fished beforehand, (even if it is bone dry) the treatment does not last as long as it will with "new" fly's ! Aside from that I dont use any other floatant !
    That's how I've done it when using Scotchgard. Just make sure you have good ventilation wherever you spray that stuff. Wicked, wicked, wicked!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast