Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Spey Rod Questions

Default Spey Rod Questions

... While I was at the Somerset FF show I saw all kinds of vendors selling Spey Rods & people carrying them out left & right. My question is ,

, How do you land / net a fish when you have 14' of rod in your hand?????

What's the advantage / reason for getting, a spey rod.

Default Re: Spey Rod Questions

I just went to a fly fishing show and they had some one from Norway demonstrating spey casting. I know nothing about it but from what i gathered if you are on big water and or there is little room for back casting they are great. It takes litterally no effort at all to cast 100 feet. I tried it out and having never done it before i could easily throw 90 feet.

If your on a medium or small creek though i think it would be a disadvantage.

3. Default Re: Spey Rod Questions

The biggest advantage to fishing a spey rod is that you can make long casts with limited back cast room. Also, spey casting is a less tiring. As to landing fish, I'm relatively new to spey fishing, so I use my old "pier landing" method.

When the fish is close, I strip in line - instead of feeling in - then I raise the rod tip and let the slack line slip between my finger and the rod butt. This brings the fly line close to me so I can grab it.

I should warn you: The biggest hassle I had when getting started with spey casting was not matching the line - more specifically the length of the belly - to my spey rod and my fishing situation, something the videos I watched didn't talk enough about.

I fish stillwaters from a bank. So I eventually learned that I needed a short-belly line so I could retrieve a lot of line after each cast and not need a lot of back casting room.

Randy

leave out 14' of line and turn up river have the fish swim along side of you and then scoop up in net or tail them..
    sandfly/ bob
    (www.bigmeadowsflyshop.com)
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing Gillie..

5. Default Re: Spey Rod Questions

Quote Originally Posted by FISHN50 View Post
    ... While I was at the Somerset FF show I saw all kinds of vendors selling Spey Rods & people carrying them out left & right. My question is ,

, How do you land / net a fish when you have 14' of rod in your hand?????

What's the advantage / reason for getting, a spey rod.
    Have a very devoted wife/girlfriend in waders with a net with you

Seriously, spey fisherman usually try to scout out a area where they can beach the fish. Also angling your rod back so you can grab the line. When you get a fish in close you should be careful not to high stick as you can break your rod.

Spey rods offer a serious advantage in that your fly is on the water a larger percentage of the time. Using spey casts on your single hander is also very beneficial.

The biggest advantage to spey is line management and length of drift IMO... not casting distance.
    ... But a lifelong journey.

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
    go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford