Why are you here?

dharkin

Reaction score
I’m often amazed to see that a member’s first post is quite a while after they joined as a member. I noticed today that a member that joined in 2017 made his first post today. I’m not saying that there is a problem with that but it got me thinking why it took so long.

So answer these questions for me;

1. What brought you to this site and why did you join?
2. How long did you wait before making your first post?

Me?

I joined in 2011 after coming off a terrible fishing trip with a couple guys that would rather complain about EVERYTHING rather than just enjoy the company of friends and do a little fishing. So what if it rained a little? My buddy and I decided that we weren’t going to endure another trip like that so I decided to start researching a trip to the Rocky Mountains as soon as I got home. It didn’t take me long to find this site and post my first question. After a little introduction to a few folks, I posted my first thread. My first post was 6/5/2011 a couple hours or days after joining

https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/...montana-exp-2012-a.html?highlight=lewis+harks

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I was searching for something, I have no recollection of what and the forum came up in results. I read the thread that came up and became curious. I'd never been part of any sort of online chat group so within a month I joined. Considering the years my post count remains low I think. That would be due in part to the relative length of posts I make here, I have a problem with being brief. I did start posting when I joined but at that time did a lot of reading prior to posting.

This may seem hard to believe but through several changes of management and ownership the people who owned / ran this forum thought I was a solid member with reasonable judgment and now I work this forum - the Salmon Fishing Forums and the Fly Fishing Forums UK. doing moderation and admin type account requests for quite a few people.

Reasonable judgment...

That's a good one :shocked:

ejsell

Reaction score
So, I lurked for a few months before joining but asked a question pretty quickly. I was going to a specific out of state area and from reading through posts knew that several members were very familiar with the area.

I am also located in an area where when I mention I fly fish everyone's first response is "there are no trout here" followed by a quizzical look and a follow up question asking if I really fish the river here and catch stuff? Everyone is stunned to find out, A. Yes you can catch fish other than trout with a fly rod and B. Yes when you live on a river that is over a 100 miles long and eventually connects to one of the largest tribs to Lake Erie you are going to find lots of fish to catch. I'll throw in C. People are also shocked that you can find some pretty large trout within a couple hour drive.

So joining gave me another way to be close to other people with the same hobby.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

spm

Reaction score
I don't recall how much time from joining to my first post. I'm sure there was some reading time involved to get the lay of the land. I probably waited a bit for fear of saying something stupid. Turns out waiting didn't help.

Thanks,
steve

bdavis32

Reaction score
What brought me here was researching a trip to Glacier NP and the prospects of fishing in/near it. I joined after reading through a few topics and saw the wealth of knowledge that would be at my fingertips. Amazingly, I posted that same day. I don't post often so that really surprised me.

I am still blown away at the willingness and breadth of knowledge that members have shown me in helping research trips. Cheers and most importantly, THANKS!!

karstopo

Reaction score
Ideas, the exchange of ideas on flies, fish, gear is attractive. There's a lot of experiences and experience to draw from and also to possibly share. Ideas and topics get bounced around and those present learning and growing opportunities. I have actual in the flesh friends that fish, but none that fly fish. Their eyes glaze over in short order at the first mention of anything fly fishing related. That's fine, no problem, carry on, but I still like to read and see what other fly people are up to.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I think this does make a fine outlet for us to say something (albeit in text form) about fishing, specifically fly fishing or Spey casting to an audience of willing participants. In the everyday life many of us may have a shortage of friends who are actually interested and or involved so that is a very attractive aspect of a forum.

Also I might add that this forum has taken the lead in that we are a very knowledgeable group of active posters who maintain a very civil exchange across a wide range of topics.

corn fed fins

Reaction score
I don't really remember as I read quite a few threads over the years, just never bothered to join.

I think when I joined it was from a "Must be a registered user to view content" prompt.

I do remember Riptide immediately biting my pant leg, tugging, and growling. Down boy, down. :) And that started a private exchange with another avid user. I should have taken the blue pill as now my name is Corn Fed Fins and I'm a NAFFF addict.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Like Ard, I may have found this site via a search, and just stuck around. Also likely may have made my first post shortly after joining. Don't recall all the details.

I stay because of my interest in fly fishing & tying, and as Ard also said, I don't have many friends nearby who fly fish and never did. I know plenty of folks around here who fish, but not too many who fly fish, so this site fills that void.

Because of this site and a few others that have some fly fishing forums, I hope I've made some friends, even though most would only be online friends. Unless of course the opportunity should arise to actually be able to meet & fish! :D

I also like to believe that I've been able to contribute something positive that has helped someone else along. I didn't have much of that when I was getting started. ;)

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
I’m relatively new though I’m 73 and a fly fisher since my teens.

The forum came up in searches while trying to decide what fishing pack to get. Discovered a lot of good comments and unlike other forums on other subjects that I had frequented I was impressed by the courteous and considerate differences of opinion.

Joined just for ease of reading, but started posting almost immediately because topics that I had some experience with came up. One of my first posts was in a thread about Lefty Krehand his physical problems. I had met him in my teens at a sportsmen’s show in Pittsburgh, and he persuaded me that fly fishing was for real and not to give up on a sport that I was trying to teach myself out of books.

I’ve learned more about equipment and specific approaches to fly tying here than I would have ever expected. You guys know your stuff.

Thanks,

Don

Reaction score
Advice!
Not new to fishing but new to fly fishing I have no idea where to start. With experience comes knowledge and I see a lot of this here to get me started!

hollisd

Reaction score
Mostly, the wading staff threads.

I'm also sticking around to hear S&S wax poetic about his Sage fly rods. I've read so much about his NRX #4 but nada on his Sage quiver.

dakotakid

Reaction score
I discovered this forum when I took up the sport and was searching the Internet for information. Don't know how long it to me to make my first post, but suspect it was less than a month because it was pretty obvious that the users are super helpful and had answers to all my questions.

redietz

Reaction score
1) I was already a member of the UK forum, since I like to keep abreast of what's happening across the pond. As membership of that forum automatically gives you membership in this forum, I just wanted to see the differences between the two.

2) I'm reasonably sure I posted the same day, or shortly after, that I logged in here.

rusty 54

Reaction score
I stumbled on to this site. I probably did not post anything for quite a while. My daddy told me that we have 2 ears and 2 eyes and only one mouth for a reason. So I tend to watch and listen more than speak. I like this place. Besides, I'm not tough enough for the Drake.

trout trekker

Reaction score
Western Portal Sequoia National Forest, Kern River
I was surfing the web for some Larry Mahan's & Tecovas, I don't know if it was our illustrious mod's name ( Larry M. ) or the numerous ads for Tecovas on the site, but this site kept popping up...
All these years later, it's still the best place I know to see the latest ads for Tecovas.

:D Dave

bumble54

Reaction score
I joined a number of fly fishing sites because I just wanted to hang out with like minded people, it came as a surprise just how diverse fly fishing actually is when my own experience was limited to freshwater Trout, Grayling and Roach with the occasional foray into the salt for Bass and Mackerel.
I have learned a great deal over the last few years.