What can you use for backing?

oddball7465

Reaction score
I've only been fly fishing for a few months now. For the few months that I have been, I've been using my father's fly rod/reel. I finally ended up getting my own setup, but the reel didn't come with the backing or fly line on it. So I'm having to go through putting all of it on by myself. It wasn't till after I bought the actual fly line that I realized that you need backing. So I'm trying to find out what exactly can you use for backing?

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Dacron backing can be purchased at most sporting goods fishing departments. For most reels up to 7 weight, you can use 20 pound test. At 8 weight, it is a good idea to go to 30 pound test.

MP

Joni

Reaction score
And you can go Gel Spun which is a smaller diameter if you need more backing.
Like I have a couple of Large Arbor reels that I can barely get any backing on so I went with Gel Spun. Thing but strong as heck.

Brewmaster

Reaction score
Would 6 strand Spectra or Dyneema braid be good for backing?
The only concern I have heard about using braided super-lines, and even gel-spun backing, is that they are so thin that the line can pull down between the coils on the reel under pressure when fighting a fish, and then do not strip out easily when the fish is running - potentially resulting in a broken tippet. Personally I have not used braided lines, nor have I used gel-spun.

Oddball7465 - If you will check with the manufacturer of your reel (usually available online) and look at the specs for your reel model & size, it will probably recommend a backing material, with both weight and how much.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
If you already have some or it's easier to find, you can use any dacron fishing line such as casting line, squid line, or the line used on tip-ups.
These lines will be thicker and of a heavier test and therefore less will fit on the reel. But if you don't feel the need for lots of backing and just need to take up space on the reel they're a good option.
I do it all the time with my light weight combos