Gear Bag Recommendation

ontheflymn

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a gear bag to carry my FF gear when I travel locally and when I go West. The bag has to be big enough to hold boots, waders, and four piece rods.

Doesn't have to be waterproof, and I'd prefer a duffel type of design, not a backpack.

Thanks in advance,
Dave

JDR

Reaction score
I have been using my Patagonia duffels for going on 25 years now. I have the large and the small. Both look new from the outside, but like all the PU coated stuff, the waterproofing on the inside is peeling. I don't care. They work great and wear like iron.

steveid

Reaction score
Simms Essential 90L Gear Bag has a separate bottom compartment for waders and boots, which I really like having. It’s excellent quality with great features, but is pushing $200 unless you find a retailer with a sale or discount code.

For a straight gear bag with no separate compartment, Eddie Bauer makes some excellent travel duffles that come with a lifetime guarantee, and they have 40-50% off sales regularly. Never pay full price for Eddie Bauer stuff. I have one of the previous gen roller bags, and like it, but the new ones are much better.

Edit: Didn't notice you wanted to put rod tubes in as well. I would definitely look at the Eddie Bauer travel bags.

Last edited:

photoguy

Reaction score
I just returned form the local Army/Navy store where I found a duffle bag to hold pretty much the same list as yours. I've got a trip planned also where I wanted to keep my son's and my fishing gear separated from our regular clothing and I didn't want to spend a lot as I knew it would get tossed around a lot- Just wanted something basic to keep everything in one spot. Cost was about $35. Heavy canvas with a heavy duty zippered top, it should hold up for a long time.

yikes

Reaction score
Does the travel you are describing involve major airlines?
I bought a Sierra Designs 2-compartment expandable roller in the largest size that is within the normal baggage allowance of most airlines - - I used Allegiant Airlines baggage rules as a guide for this, since they fly from LA to many fly-fishing regions. IIRC that's a 31 or 32" long bag. Rod tubes fit diagonally in the lower compartment, and I put all my wet gear inside trash bags anyway, so I don't care about waterproofing.

If you will be travelling in very small "bush" planes, sometimes they want a non-structured bag (no metal frame), so they can squish it into the non-rectangular shape of the cargo hold.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I have 2 of the Fishpond Yellowstone bags that work but for air travel you need a wheeled bag. All you need do is carry one of those Yellowstone's through the Denver IA to know wheels rule.

bob3700

Reaction score
I am with Ard that wheels rule when traveling thru airports. There are several wheeled duffels in a host of price ranges. I purchased the Fishpond wheeled duffel that has the dry compartment for waders and boots in the bottom. Not cheap but I only want to make this purchase once and not look back.

Wheels with handles and heavy zippers that you can put TSA locks on are well needed features.

The only item I am looking at now is a waterproof backback that travels in the cabin of the ACFT with me. Reels, flies, and overnight items in case the flight doesn't go as planned.

Bob

repperson29

Reaction score
I can't say enough how much I love my fishpond cimmaron duffle, holds everything I need for a trip from waders to rods reels and clothes. It's been one of my better investments truly. Have never taken it on a plane though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

cooutlaw

Reaction score
I have 2 of the Fishpond Yellowstone bags that work but for air travel you need a wheeled bag. All you need do is carry one of those Yellowstone's through the Denver IA to know wheels rule.
Amen Ard. That is absolute fact.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
You guys will think I'm crazy but you know what kind I always wanted, travel duffle that is? One of those Orvis Battenkill wheeled duffels, the green canvas with leather trim ones. Old school but classy way to tote the gear.

wjlapier

Reaction score
Are the Fishpond wheeled bags as well made as the Filson? If I were looking for a bag for outdoor use and fill it with waders, boots ( with studs ) and rod tubes I would be thinking Filson.

Matt4.0

Reaction score
Are the Fishpond wheeled bags as well made as the Filson? If I were looking for a bag for outdoor use and fill it with waders, boots ( with studs ) and rod tubes I would be thinking Filson.
I have a couple different style fishpond packs and their cimarron duffle, as well as a few of their accessories. All have multiple years on them and I’ve yet to run into any quality issue whatsoever with any of them, and I don’t baby my gear.

I certainly wouldn’t call their stuff cheap, but if one wanted to feel better about the price tag on a fishpond item you could certainly compare it to a Filson for a little perspective:)

brownbass

Reaction score
I and members of the FF Club I belong to have adopted the High Sierra 36 inch rolling duffle bag as the official bag. It has a lower bottom where you can store your boots and waders. The upper carries everything else. The guys use these locally and to travel on the airlines out west. Even better is the fact that Samsonite owns High Sierra and you have a lifetime guarantee. You can get these on sale for right around $100.00 bucks and they can take a good deal abuse. Anyone that has a problem sends them back and they get repaired free of charge. I know of only one guy that had a problem (airline luggage handler abuse).

Bill

mka

Reaction score
After reading this thread, I need to step up my game. I've been using a small, medium, and large Outdoor Duffle bags from Sportsman Warehouse for years...think I paid about $15 for them.

bonefish41

Reaction score
I fly mostly and I use three containers...1/rod case looks like a violin case Orvis...I carry rods on plane; 2/ Abel Carrying everything over 20 years old still totally functional carry on as well; 3/ Steve Abel's 10 day bag 160 when I check(going to Cabo) but not big enough for 4 piece rods...his largest is 15 day bag 195.00... it's not big enough to inside contain typical 9foot four piece...when I drive ...it's an old duffel but still use the Abel large everything tackle bag and separate rod case...View attachment 17066Abel15day.jpg

My last trip to Cabo SWA "misplaced" my checked conventional rods and two piece fly rod for 48 hours on a five day trip...the SWA agent in Cabo was outstanding...got them to me in Los Barriles ...SWA Denver sent my rods to Portland...I never check fly three or four piece rods ...other than getting off the plane in Key West fishing out of KW,my other fishing venues are a distance and time from where I land getting the misplaced rods and reels to me on 5-6 day trip is 2-3 days problematic.

coug

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a gear bag to carry my FF gear when I travel locally and when I go West. The bag has to be big enough to hold boots, waders, and four piece rods.

Doesn't have to be waterproof, and I'd prefer a duffel type of design, not a backpack.

Thanks in advance,
Dave
Here is my two cents. I have the fishpond wader duffel and love it, have a couple of patagonia duffels that have lasted years. But I am fortunate enough to live somewhere where I do not need to hop a plane to fish all year, and while the fishpond and duffels are great for my truck, I would not fly with them. I agree with Ard, you need something with wheels, and I would add that you can get great quality at a much cheaper price by avoiding the usual fly fishing brands. I spent one of my sabbaticals living in Germany, but flying back to the Pacific Northwest once or twice a month. I bought a wheeled duffel from Columbia that put up with that no problem, and I still use it to this day. Use smaller stuff sacks for organization. It can hold my waders, boots, rods, and all of my fishing clothes. I bought a new Tumi carryon for 4x the price at the same time and it fell apart before the year was over. Do that and use the money you save for another essential.

wjlapier

Reaction score
Not sure why I didn't think of this. My daughter played travel softball since she was 10yo. Played the catcher position mostly but could play anywhere but pitch. She use one of these bags:

https://www.boombah.com/us/product.html?class=540&item=130105

If these can't handle several years of tournaments nothing can.

I'd say they are right up there with Filson with regard to quality and material used.