Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8

Thread: Cost to spool?

1. Default Cost to spool?

Heading up to Pulaski end of September and need to spool my two reels up. What the average cost now to fill the reel with line and floating line? I am new to it.

Also what line would you recommend for the salmon up there. Thanks

Blog Entries

Default Re: Cost to spool?

If you buy the line at the shop, they may just give you the backing....but perhaps it may cost $10 if it is a smaller shop.
    They should spool you for free with purchase.
    There are guys out there who will buy a cheap on-line and ask them to spool for free. DON'T DO THIS!!!!
    Nothing is free or easy in life......especially backing and quality service.
    Can't advise on line because you didn't say what rod you will use.

Jim
    The bar isn't set by the fish we catch, but by the one's we don't.

Bigfly

3. Likes ejsell, hairwing530 liked this post
    Blog Entries

Never had to pay for putting line on a spool.

I've even walked into a shop with my own reel and my own line/backing and asked them to spool it, and always gotten that service for free.

Not sure I would pay for that service.

Okay, maybe if a celebrity fly fisherman, a la April Vokey, was doing it, then yes, I'd probably pay something for spooling a reel then.
    "Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark

You didn't give us much to work with fade. I'd say go to Allseason's, Whitacker's or Malinda's and they will help set you with line selection and string it up on your reel. Line selection really depends on your casting abilities, flies you're using and the rod you have.

Without any other info, in basic terms....you're going to want an aggressive heavy front taper floating fly line. I like Skagit lines myself and is what I use on my single and double handed rods. OPST, Airflo, Rio and Scientific Anglers are common brands of fly lines I personally use. These require using sink tips. A commonly used size is 7.5' - 10' of T8 - T 14

For example purposes.... the cost for a Skagit shooting head, running line, and 150 yds of 30# backing strung up by the shop is going to be $50-$100.

Cheers,

ft09
    Last edited by flytie09; 06-11-2019 at 04:44 PM.

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

6. Likes hairwing530, dharkin liked this post

I have never had anyone put line and backing on a reel, I always do it myself. What advantage is there in having someone else do it? It seems to me that as soon as you go fishing and reel it in, it is no longer professionally spooled. Am I missing something?

(I have had line twist issues with spinning reels, but then I just take a long paddle in the kayak with the line streaming out behind, and problem solved.)

8. Likes Rip Tide, hairwing530, Joey Bagels liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by fadetoblack188 View Post
    Heading up to Pulaski end of September and need to spool my two reels up. What the average cost now to fill the reel with line and floating line? I am new to it.

Also what line would you recommend for the salmon up there. Thanks
    Most fly shops will do it for free especially if you purchase the line there.

This is one very good reason to frequent your local fly shop(s) if you have one. Supporting them helps you in the long run.
    Mainline the blueline

10. Likes hairwing530 liked this post
  11. Default Re: Cost to spool?

I mean like what does it cost to spool it. Material cost and all. How much does the backing and floating line cost

Quote Originally Posted by flytie09 View Post
    You didn't give us much to work with fade. I'd say go to Allseason's, Whitacker's or Malinda's and they will help set you with line selection and string it up on your reel. Line selection really depends on your casting abilities, flies you're using and the rod you have.

Without any other info, in basic terms....you're going to want an aggressive heavy front taper floating fly line. I like Skagit lines myself and is what I use on my single and double handed rods. OPST, Airflo, Rio and Scientific Anglers are common brands of fly lines I personally use. These require using sink tips. A commonly used size is 7.5' - 10' of T8 - T 14

For example purposes.... the cost for a Skagit shooting head, running line, and 150 yds of 30# backing strung up by the shop is going to be $50-$100.

Cheers,

ft09
    Flytie09 gave you a great reply. Try his fly shops.

Here are their websites, give a call and get the info that you need.

All Seasons Sports Pulaski NY, Salmon River, Lake Ontario, Salmon, Steelhead, Brown Trout, Fishing Reports, Online Tackle Store Pulaski New York

Whitakers Sports Store and Motel • Whitakers Sports Store and Motel

Malinda's Fly, Spey & Tackle Shop - North America's Premier Fly & Spey Fishing Shop

Good luck,
    Dan

13. Default Re: Cost to spool?

Backing costs between $10-20 and your line costs vary from $35-90. In pulaski in the fall there is no need to buy an expensive floating line. Salmon beat the hell out of the line and most likely you will be using added weight in your system which will negate any advantage a hi-tech taper is going to give you. So my recommendation is buy a cheaper floating line for Salmon fishing.

Two things I will comment on. First, taking your fly line, reel and backing to a fly shop and bragging about how much you saved online, than asking them to put it on for free is pretty bad. It is like asking the guy behind the counter at your favorite lunch spot to assemble your sandwich with stuff you just bought at a grocery store for you for free!!
    Second, fly line backing is cheap, $5 or $6 for 100 yards. You really do not need to pack the spool full of backing either...especially with fresh water fish. It cracks me up when someone comes in and asked for 200 yards of backing for their new fly reel!! Sure it will hold it, but the odds are you will never see it! Plus, what fresh water fish are you going to be 600 to 700 feet away from? I suggest filling the spool to cover the bottom and level off the spool. That usually gives you about 50 to 75 yards. Add in the fly line, you are 225 to 300 plus feet total. Again, most of which you will never see. Even on my salt water reel I don't have any more than 150 yards of backing.
    I take the first 50 feet of my fly line off about monthly to make the line level on the reel. Easiest way to damage the fly line is having a huge lump that grinds up against the spool and rubs off the coating.
    When you buy a line you can spend anywhere from $25 to $150. Depends on what you are doing with it.
    Last edited by mtboiler; 06-12-2019 at 04:56 PM.
    flyfishingnwmontana.blogspot.com