Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  19
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What do I need to change fly line at home?

A pencil will do the task at hand. When spooling up your line make sure it comes off the spool the same way it went on the spool in a rotating fashion. Don't lay the spool flat on the floor and put it on as a coil-big time twists. When you are changing lines do not wrap the line around the spool, use the pencil again and roll it on taking it directly off the reel.

Denny

2. Thanks ggriffi thanked for this post

I have shared this simple trick before- but I don't know if anyone took it seriously. After buying and carrying cassettes, winders, etc- and losing the handle, or struggling with the bad design of the little door- I finally settled on a simple, essentially free way to manage my fly lines.

I keep the original spools- use a pencil or pen through the center. Then I take a skewer you would use for shishkabab! Yeah- the short ones work best. I keep a couple stashed in my reel bag and my tackle bag. When I want to change a line, I strip it off a reel and then flip it so the leader is on top (do this by stripping the line through your hands- not all at once, or it will tangle!) I then tie a perfection loop in the end of the leader and pull the leader through that. Slip this larger loop over the original line spool and make a few manual turns with your hands to get the leader started around the spool. Now- insert the pencil and slip the shishkabab skewer beneath the leader through one of the holes in the spool and begin winding. Because the skewer is so thin, the flyline will wind onto the spool just as tightly as when you bought it. The running end will be there waiting for the next time you want to load it. This is- by far- the simplest, most organized fly line management system I have ever had! I never have to guess anymore. There is nothing to lose or break. New skewers are waiting for me in the kitchen! My lines are laid out neatly in a shoebox.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

4. Thanks ggriffi thanked for this post

Quote Originally Posted by dillon View Post
    I'm not sure I understand your question, but if you want to load your spools with backing, and you have a local fly or tackle shop, they should be happy to do it for you for a nominal fee.
    You understood correctly dillon. I have no problem spending the money but I'm an hour from the closest shop so I would like to do this at home.
    Every book is a children's book if the kid can read. - Mitch Hedberg RIP

Blog Entries

Both of the items I posted can be ordered online but will take a few days to arrive. If you are in a hurry then you would need to revert to some of the homemade methods described, the pencil through the fly line spool etc. There is a reason I have the line winding stand and the Tie-Fast tool, sooner or later there is a problem with DYI methods and you end up with a less than desirable result. With the 2 tools there is never a problem. Whether you do several reels & spools a year or not I like having the right stuff when the job arises.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

7. Thanks ggriffi thanked for this post

I have a hand crafted line winder, but I'm just as likely to use a pencil

First thing that you do is take off your shoes
    Put the reel on the rod and run the line through at least 2 guides. ( you don't have to use the full length of the rod)

Run the pencil through the center of the spool and then hold each end of the pencil with your big toes.
    You've got to keep tension on the spool with your feet and guide the line onto the reel with your rod hand

Simple right ?

My line winder.... won it in a raffle.

IMGP0003_5.jpg
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

9. Thanks ggriffi thanked for this post
    Likes ejsell, runningfish liked this post

silver creek nailed it. Put the fly line on first (backwards), then tie the backing to the tail end of the fly line with a nail knot and fill the rest of the spool with backing. Cut the backing there. Unwind all of that off the spool, tie the backing onto the spool, and wind it all back on the right way. Easy.

11. Thanks ggriffi, fq13 thanked for this post

I have a 4 years old ever ready personal assistant for my spooling and unspooling.
    But if that guy is too busy with his trucks or robots I will stick a pencil or a marker through the spool. I'll pinch both ends of the pencil with my toes and put light pressure on the side of the spool for a couple rotation and ease up the pressure afterward and spool the reel.

To unspool the reel, I'll have that boy to hold the reel and he is an expert now and knows exactly what to do. If he is playing with his Optimus Prime I'll attach the reel on to a spinning rod, thread the line through a guide, rest the rod tip on my shoulder and reel the line back to the spool.

I don't have fancy tools to reel the line back to the spool. So I'll use a pencil again, stick it through the spool, hand wind the line lightly a couple rotation until it sits. Now, if the spool has several small windows I'll use a small pencil, chopstick, a pen cap, tooth picks; stick it in and use it as a handle to wind the line in. I pull the pen cap after several rotation and stick it back in and wind the line back in again. Just like that. This is my way to make sure the line is to stay loose on the spool.
    Just make sure you loosen the drag and the line coming in and out from the bottom of the spool and reel.

Welcome to fly fishing!
    I don't always catch fish; but when I do I scream like a little girl.

13. Thanks ggriffi thanked for this post

I also have the Reel-E-Good line winder, and it's been great. I believe they sell an accessory that will measure your line or backing as you wind it.
    MC

"At least we don't have any stinky fish we gotta clean."

Bob Nall

None of you so called experts have mentioned the most important tool, a hyperactive English pointer to go running through the old line while it's stripped out on the floor. This leads to chasing down a freaked out dog and untangling it while trying to salvage the line.This of course requires the second most important tool, a nice cold beer, and three of its friends.

16. Likes mka, osseous, ggriffi liked this post

Chocolate lab and a MaineCoon here~ the beer is a mandatory accessory

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by osseous; 06-14-2019 at 08:31 AM.

18. Likes ggriffi, fq13, mka liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast