Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  19
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: What do I need to change fly line at home?

I am still missing what is so important about the amount of backing on a large arbor reel. The average large arbor reel is less than an inch deep. The pick up rate or tension of the line is pretty much irrelevant at that diameter. I still have small arbor reels and getting the backing right is correct. But on a modern large arbor reel, my opinion is you smooth out the middle of the reel with backing to make the arbor level. After that, backing is irrelevant. I would rather have my spool a 1/2 inch off the cross/support bars so they do not rub than to have them close that they might rub.
    Matter of fact, I prefer a loose drag because by simply raising the rod tip higher you put more pressure on the fish. Drag above 3 or 3.5 pounds is not something you would want on a fresh water fish anyway because of tippet size and more importantly, fresh water hook strength.
    flyfishingnwmontana.blogspot.com

Well part of it is to keep your fly line from getting bunched up and looking like a phone cord. The more backing the looser your fly line is. Honestly it's why I use thirty pound dacron backing on my light reels. I never expect to see it, but it costs the same as twenty pound and fills more space for less money. I use twenty pound on my eight weights where I do care about the amount backing. It's back to thirty on the ten weight.

"Well part of it is to keep your fly line from getting bunched up and looking like a phone cord".
    That was true with older small arbor reels. But large arbor reels have may be an inch depth, that is probably true on 6wt and above. Most don't even have that. A 1/4 inch difference is not going to affect the fly line. The average large arbor spool is in the 3 to 3/12 inch diameter. Going from 3 to 31/4 is immaterial.
    I probably put 150 plus lines on reels in the summer at work. The first thing out of everyone's mouth is the misconception that the spool must be full. "Can you put 150 yards of backing on, that is what 'XXX' recommends". I than ask if they pull the line off often to ensure it is on the spool evenly? If they say 'no', I often advise them less backing is better because the quarter inch difference of backing is going to be irrelevant but scraping up against the spool all summer is going to significantly cut the life of your line.
    I would venture to bet anyone that has a large arbor reel would find the spool your original line came on is now about the same size as the arbor of your reel. For those of us that still have small arbor reels, I have one left, it is a balancing act between a full spool to unsure the line does not coil to much and enough distance to ensure the reel does not rub against the line all day. I probably re-spool my 5 and 6 weight once a summer. They are large arbor with plenty of distance. I probably re-spool my 4 wt, older small arbor, every other use.
    Quite frankly, the average angler will probably never see the last 20 or 30 feet of fly line anyway. That last 20 feet, whether on a large or small arbor is going to be slightly flattened or ovalled in spots from being compressed on the reel for so long anyway. I actually cut off the back 15 feet or so on my 4wt line because I know I will not need it and it gives me extra room on the spool. I am not sure I could even cast 90 ft with my 4wt. But having 75 feet gives me just enough room to not have a rub problem on the spool.
    flyfishingnwmontana.blogspot.com

4. Thanks fq13 thanked for this post

Quote Originally Posted by mtboiler View Post
    "Well part of it is to keep your fly line from getting bunched up and looking like a phone cord".
    That was true with older small arbor reels. But large arbor reels have may be an inch depth, that is probably true on 6wt and above. Most don't even have that. A 1/4 inch difference is not going to affect the fly line. The average large arbor spool is in the 3 to 3/12 inch diameter. Going from 3 to 31/4 is immaterial.
    I probably put 150 plus lines on reels in the summer at work. The first thing out of everyone's mouth is the misconception that the spool must be full. "Can you put 150 yards of backing on, that is what 'XXX' recommends". I than ask if they pull the line off often to ensure it is on the spool evenly? If they say 'no', I often advise them less backing is better because the quarter inch difference of backing is going to be irrelevant but scraping up against the spool all summer is going to significantly cut the life of your line.
    I would venture to bet anyone that has a large arbor reel would find the spool your original line came on is now about the same size as the arbor of your reel. For those of us that still have small arbor reels, I have one left, it is a balancing act between a full spool to unsure the line does not coil to much and enough distance to ensure the reel does not rub against the line all day. I probably re-spool my 5 and 6 weight once a summer. They are large arbor with plenty of distance. I probably re-spool my 4 wt, older small arbor, every other use.
    And right here I learned something, particularly because I am new to super large arbor reels. Thanks!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123