Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Frog Hair Technology tippet and trout hunter.

I have not used Frog Hair since the early 2000's. I prefer these for Mono and Fluoro:

Some rave about Cortland "Top Secret" Fluoro. In my experience , it does not mic. true. This is supposedly the new "hot" Fluoro:

Masterclass Fluorocarbon | Fulling Mill Fishing Flies

...meh

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, " How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

2. Likes osseous, sweetandsalt, runningfish, Bigfly liked this post
    Currently Westminster, Co. Headed to "West Slope" next few years

Trout Hunter in fluorocarbon is my choice.
    “one opportunity, one encounter”
    一期一会

4. Likes runningfish liked this post

Yep, I am using that Seaguar Grandmax too. quality products except for the casing!

I think I'll try both of the frog hair and trout hunter since both the Orvis Mirage 5x and 3x are almost gone. I'll still bring the seaguar as a safety net.
    I don't always catch fish; but when I do I scream like a little girl.

Stopped by the local K-Mart to buy some weed killer and checked out the fishing section on the way out. Have been looking for some 2lb. mono (7x approx) for tippet. They had one spool of Trout Magnet SOS. Never heard of it, but it was $5.95 for a 350 yd. spool. Couldn't pass up the deal, bought it and used it that night. The stuff was great. Googled them when I got home and the stuff had incredible reviews online, considered a top line for 2019 reviews. Went to their site and it's a co-polymer mono sold in 2, 4, 6, and 8lb. test. They sell the same in fluoro for $6.95. I have never heard of this company, their website looks like something built in 1985, and thought it was junk line I could use in a pinch. I can't believe these guys are selling quality line at these prices. I hope someone has used this line so they can post here before I order spools of mono and fluoro to build leaders from a company I never heard about. Compared to what I pay for a 30 meter spool of tippet or line to build leaders this stuff is crazy. I'm talking 350 yds. for these prices. Just Google their name and let me know if early dementia has begun.
    Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught. - Anonymous.

7. Likes runningfish liked this post

Nice...let's see if someone else can chip in about that Trout Magnet SOS.

Blog Entries

Regarding the Trout Magnet SOS, I have not used it; comparing the specifications to Rio Powerflex:

Rio Powerflex, 3X, test 8.2 Lb, diameter 0.008
    Trout Magnet, 3X, test 4 lb, diameter 0.0078

If we believe the manufacturers specifications, Rio is giving a strong line for a higher price.

Cheers

"I have a sneaking suspicion that Grand Max/Gold Label and Trouthunter are the same stuff. Both are double structure fluorocarbons made in Japan. They have the same diameters and breaking strengths generally, and they fared nearly identically in the Yellowstone Angler Tippet Shootout. The difference are likely within the manufacturing tolerances, and I'd guess that you might see more variance from one spool to another of the same brand than you might between one spool of Seaguar and one of Trouthunter."

This is from another newsgroup, and while I ignore GA/Yellowstone Angler's shootouts on everything else (too bad no one has ever caught fish using Hardy reels; the start-up inertia is just too high) they did a pretty scientific test of tippet for a small private company. They guessed the same thing although of course Seaguar denied it. I use TH fluoro exclusively for nymphing, which is basically all I do, as do several guides I know who could get much better deals on RIO.
    One breath of juniper smoke, like the perfume of sagebrush after rain, evokes in magical catalysis, like certain music, the space and light and clarity and piercing strangeness of the American West. Long may it burn.
    ― Edward Abbey, Desert Solitaire

11. Likes runningfish liked this post

I contend trout don’t care what tippet you use. If they can’t see that big honking hook coming out of the butt of your fly, why would they care about an almost invisible thread coming off its nose?

13. Likes runningfish liked this post

Yep I agree with you that trout don't care what tippet we use but the anglers do since we all want to have all of the advantages.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12