White River fly rods

Vans

Reaction score
Long story version...

So, the day after Turkey day i had to drive with my mother to Mesa, AZ from the Portland, OR metro area as she is spending the winter down in AZ and was too scared to drive it on her own for fear of snow on the passes.

Well, we made it and Sunday met my sister and family for lunch at the place my brother in law works, the new Bass Pro shops. He is one of the GMs of the restaurant. Man, what an awesome store. So, his employee discount is 40% on Bass Pro shops label items. I spent a fair amount of time in the White River Fly shop area of the store and picked up a Hobbs Creek 4wt rod/reel combo. I figured it would make a decent souvenir to take home from my unpleasant drive. I know it isnt a great set up but the rod seemed to have decent action and i thought it would be a good was to add to my collection.

So, anyone have any personal experience with these, good or bad?

Short story version:

They any good?

*edit*
I probably posted this thread in the wrong forum since it is about a specific type of fly rod. Feel free to move it if need be mods. :)

Last edited:

falcondriver

Reaction score
I'd like to know too. I think my wife may be buying me one of those clearance 270 rods in an 8wt for xmas. Who makes them for bass pro?

lancer09

Reaction score
I have a dogwood canyon 6 wt. and thoroughly stand behind the white river series from bass pro. I also have casted the Hobbs creek in a 9 wt. and the line could be seriously sot out there. In the fly rods thread on black friday I posted that I picked up the white river bugger series rod for 20 that casted very similar i thought to the hobbs creek. I truly think they are great rods for the money but a lot of people dont give them a chance becaus ethey are made for a big name retail store. Good Luck with it!

bjweller

Reaction score
No experience with rods but I have a chest pack made by White River that I bought at Bass Pro Shops here in Colorado.I love the chest pack and it has held up great so far. It has a nice pouch for my whiskey flask. Around here, White River products are pretty well respected.

Bret

O

okuma

When I lived in Florida, i had both a hobbs and a dogwood. Which ever had the softer action(can't remember), would not throw a full sink line well. I bought the stiffer action and it did well. At the time, I was fishing the beaches on the east coast side for schook. I miis the Bass pro shops there

cimarron

Reaction score
I bought a used "classic" off the auction site a while back. It is a 6'3" 3 wt 3 piece. I can't say enough good things about it! Does every thing I want it to. Fit and finish are all good and has a very nice action, maybe a bit too fast for a DT 3, but that's me. They sell at BP for $109 I think. It's perfect for small streams with brush. I usually carry it with my Redington R4 in 4wt 7'6" and I really can't see a whole lot of difference between them. Good rod for the money. Glen

gjcordray

Reaction score
I owned a BPS Classic 7 ft 5 wt. My cousin had the same rod and it snapped on him in mid-cast. I had no problem with mine, in fact it was a pretty nice little rod for the price. My wife now fishes with it most of the time. I have cast the Dogwood Canyon 5 wt. and it was a little bit heavy but didn't seem to be defective in any way. No idea about how well they hold up.

Reaction score
I've owned and used a handful of the Cabela's and BP lower-end flyrods- they cast fine, but the workmanship which goes into individual rods can vary greatly. I've owned four, and on two of them have had to replace guides and reel seat hardware due to shoddy workmanship.

If you go that route, make sure your reel fits the rod's reel seat before purchasing. It sounds simple enough, but I've had issues with it in BP rods, especially in the larger line weights.