Do you have a fly rod problem?

psishapiro

Reaction score
Most all of us have multiple fly rods. Here in the Midwest, I have standardized on 4, 6, and 8 weights for my panfish/smaller trout, larger trout/smallmouth, and carp/steelhead/salmon respectively. But here’s my problem... I have a single eight, a single six, and 4 four weights... I can’t seem to walk away from a 4 weight I don’t like. Anyone else have this kind of problem? Haha...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I have at least 6 eight weights and likely even more six weights
It's only a problem when it comes time to choose which one to use

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
Rod addiction is one problem I've managed to avoid. Two six weights, and that's only because the first one got old and beat up and needed to be replaced.

One eight weight, a seven weight, and another with no listed weight. All of these latter are old fiberglass rods I salvaged from the attic, and none are valuable. I rarely use them.

99% of my fishing is with the one six weight.

johan851

Reaction score
I happily embraced this problem this year. I started the year with a 4wt and 6wt for my trout fishing needs. Did they do what I needed? Absolutely. But I've gladly added a 3wt, 4wt, 5wt, and 6wt to the lineup and it's been really fun.

proheli

Reaction score
I happily embraced this problem this year. I started the year with a 4wt and 6wt for my trout fishing needs. Did they do what I needed? Absolutely. But I've gladly added a 3wt, 4wt, 5wt, and 6wt to the lineup and it's been really fun.
Good for you. It’s really fun. I’ve just put my wife on notice that I’m getting another one. Slipping an (Edit) 803 in between a glass rod and a 904. So far I’m still sleeping in the house :)

Last edited:

jayr

Reaction score
I learned after my divorce that fly rods are more interesting than getting re-married, much cheaper too:)

johan851

Reaction score
Good for you. It’s really fun. I’ve just put my wife on notice that I’m getting another one. Slipping an 804 in between a light glass rod and a 904. So far I’m still sleeping in the house :)
An 804 is on my radar as well. At some point I need to try the Pure 804 and the GS 844 side by side...

proheli

Reaction score
An 804 is on my radar as well. At some point I need to try the Pure 804 and the GS 844 side by side...
Dang Johan, that was actually a typo. I meant 803. After a great talk with Kevin at Winston, I’m headed toward the 803 Air. I’m open to suggestions, but I’ll be casting the Air 803, 863, and GS 843.

srock

Reaction score
I see your idea here but my guess is that the 4 wt satisfies most of your needs, most of the time. For me, I probably use a 5 wt the same way, in terms of multiple rods. I have about 5 or 6 5 wts and only 3 six weights. You also do not mention the length of your 4 wts but I suspect you fish smaller streams where a shorter rod is an advantage. This is where I primarily use my 4’s. About 20 years ago I was really into salmon/steelhead fishing and really loaded up on the 8 wts. Now, I am moving more into bass and muskie fly fishing and gearing up to that. If you fly fish long enough, your quiver will expand because you will try new situations where the 4 wt, or even a 6 or 8 wt are not the key. Go for it. Best, SR

callihan_44

Reaction score
4wt is my most used rod, have a 5wt to use on windy-rough water days and as a backup rod....need to add a "big" rod for bass-carp or whatever else is swimming around. It's going to be a 6 or 8 , but I understand the desire for every rod out there lol.. had a bunch of different ones but over the years I narrowed things down because I dont like a bunch of clutter and rods sitting around not getting used, plus i have expen$ive rod tastes

troutbum_74

Reaction score
Isn’t the saying, “the first step to recovery is admitting that you have a problem?” LOL...Well, I don’t have a problem then!! But, I do mainly have 4 weight rods as they are the weight of rod choice for me here in SW PA. The following is my current quiver:

Scott F Series 583
C. Barclay Synthesis Series 68
Scott G Series 883
Scott F Series 724
Scott G Series 844
Scott Radian 854
Scott G2 884
Scott G 904 (25th Anniversary)
Scott G Series 904
Scott G Series 885
Scott Radian 905
Scott G Series 906

I don’t see myself adding anything the remainder of this year but next spring will probably have me adding something that I “need.”

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Someday logic will kick in and you will see the redundant nature of the rods,

If you are collecting classic models for enjoyment I don't see a problem, if they're all contemporary rods that's impulse buying.o

troutbum_74

Reaction score
Someday logic will kick in and you will see the redundant nature of the rods,

If you are collecting classic models for enjoyment I don't see a problem, if they're all contemporary rods that's impulse buying.o
Well...it’s what I enjoy to buy and use so I think it’s fine. Anyone can collect guns, knives, coins, stamps, cars...etc. I enjoy them all and for those that don’t that’s fine too.

denver1911

Reaction score
I have a few rods, but don’t consider it a problem. They are tools. I have an 8’ 4wt for mountain streams. I have a backup for that rod in case I break it. I have a 10’ 4 wt for high-stick nymphing. I have a 9’ 5wt and a 9’ 6wt to back that up. I have a 7wt for smallmout bass. I have an 8wt for saltwater and a backup for it. I have a 10wt for permit, small tarpon, and triggers. I have a 12wt for GTs and a backup in case I break it. They are tools. If I need a new tool .. I get it.

flytie09

Reaction score
I know several people at work that have gun collections with well over 100 guns. And they live modest means. I have maybe 20 fly rods. From 3 WT to 10 WT. Graphite, bamboo, glass. vintage, new, used, switch, spey, whatever........

I'm likely done for a while.......but I see nothing wrong adding a new rod.

Some days it's a brown loafers day and some days you need your steel toes. Right tool for the job. But if you're a mechanic and have 20x 8" crescent wrenches and no box wrenches...you might want to rethink your approach.

duker

Reaction score
I don't think I've got a problem.

My numbers aren't crazy compared to some: a couple 6 weights, three 8 weights, two 9 weights (my saltwater rods), a 5 weight double hander, and two 8 weight double-handers. I use them all, different applications (and back-up rods--I'm a big believer in travelling with back-ups), and don't see myself needing to acquire anymore. But. . .

I just started rod building, and got myself a 7 weight fiberglass kit, so yeah, maybe I am developing a problem. Or at least a rationale for getting more rods.

Scott

Hellbender

Reaction score
I had several rods previously, but found myself using only a few of them. As I get older, I am trying to thin out everything to just what I need. Sometimes that approach doesn’t always work. :)