setting the scene

pc40chas

Reaction score
View attachment 1669i was looking through some pictures and came acrossed one of my most prized possesions. my tent.10'x14' floor w/ 8.5' ceiling, 10'x10' vestibule and a wood burning stove. 2008 mid april in the allegahny mnts in pa. opening day, early morning, coffee is on the stove, the dense fog is rolling out, clean crisp mtn air, way too many flies tied from being cooped up all winter, and a cold mtn stream full of hungry trout. now thats fishing. this picture and story have no relevence to anything.....except, april is just around the corner. i hope this brightens somebodies day, like it did mine when i seen that tent again. fish on

Attachments

Benford

Reaction score
very nice, i love the feeling of camping out near the river and fishing all day and eating what you catch. i'll take that over a beach vacation any day

ErnieBall

Reaction score
View attachment 1669i was looking through some pictures and came acrossed one of my most prized possesions. my tent.10'x14' floor w/ 8.5' ceiling, 10'x10' vestibule and a wood burning stove. 2008 mid april in the allegahny mnts in pa. opening day, early morning, coffee is on the stove, the dense fog is rolling out, clean crisp mtn air, way too many flies tied from being cooped up all winter, and a cold mtn stream full of hungry trout. now thats fishing. this picture and story have no relevence to anything.....except, april is just around the corner. i hope this brightens somebodies day, like it did mine when i seen that tent again. fish on

Amen! --- Where do you hail from? I am going to be fishing Allegheny National Forest this year.. any tips?

arfishinbear

Reaction score
The smell of wood bruning, the sound of the river, a cup of coffee and bacon and eggs over a campfire, fish like hell all day the first one, then kick back and have a glass of single malt, and get into a more relaxed rythem the rest of the trip. Can't wait untill I get back out there. Thanks for bringing back some great memories for me.
Bear

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi to all,

I have been so fortunate to have spent many trips in the Alaska wilderness. I don't know how it can be any better than that. Moose hunting, bear hunting or fishing, the sounds and sights are beyond description.

The numbers of fish can be uncountable. To wake up in a little two man tent at spike camp and find bear tracks going right past the tent. To see bears fighting or mating. Watching a fox laying in a snow bank sunning his belly. To watch a young male bear come a mile across a mountain to a female with three cubs. Then the female beats the tar out of the male who limps off into the brush. Seeing new cubs just out of the den with their mama. The cubs wrestling, fighting and crawling over momma until she slaps the devil out of them. To see five whales herding Herring into a ball. Then forming a circle and diving down and coming up through the herring with their mouths open. Riding along in a loaded twelve foot Zodiac and have a pod of whales surround the boat. When you turn to get away they move with you, again and again. To watch a Water Ouzel diving and chasing minnows right at your feet. To see a tree so covered with Bald Eagles that you can't count them all. To see Salmon trying again and again to get up a falls. To see streams so full of Salmon that you can't see the stream bottom.

The three best things that I remember the most is: 1. Doing it with your best friend. 2. Catching the biggest trout of your life. 3. Last but not least, hearing the forlorn cry of a Loon off in the distance. I love Loons.

Frank