Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  14
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Default Re: Visiting from South Africa - want to do fishing.

Most, if not all, guided trips normally provide a quick casting lesson for novices included. The first thing they normally ask is if you have any experience to help them plan for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowaldo View Post
    Thank you. Just a question. I see the companies advertises lessons and guides separately. Will the full day guide provide you with lessons as well, or do they just focus on guiding, expecting me to rock up there with experience? Im calling the shops today, so will get an better idea from them as well.
    Kevin
    "Fight like you're the 3rd monkey trying to get on Noah's Ark"
    "Not every day is filled with sunshine. Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"
    "If God had intended for man to only fish on weekends, He never would have created the other 5 days of the week."

Sent you a PM
    Kevin
    "Not every day is filled with sunshine. Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"
    "If God had intended for man to only fish on weekends, He never would have created the other 5 days of the week."

Coming on STBY travel, so hope I get an open spot though with the flights being full. I might just end up on the west cost due to flights...that will screw up my plans! Let's hope for the 380 Yikes! Thanks!
    If you end up on the west coast, that will be a completely different set of flyfishing destinations and options. Keep us posted here, and we can give alternate suggestions!
    There's not a day that goes by that I don't wonder how dreary this world would be if elk were bald and birds had no feathers.
    - Hank Patterson

Hi Everyone, thanks for the info and tips. Had my first 90min casting lesson in Dubai on grass with a 4 weight rod, and went OK. Room for improvement, but will at least get the fly in the water. Rest I will learn there with a guide. At least I now have an basic idea of the rod and casting. It was great fun, and I like the technique... Thanks again, anyhow.... two questions?

I want to maybe post some pics etc of our trip - under which forum topic / group should I post it just to not have it in the wrong area and bore the people. Thanks.

Then also, I am actually living and working in Dubai for some time, but from South Africa, still go back plenty of times a year. Sorry I mentioned only South Africa, think it states my identity more accurately. TO add, fly fishing in Dubai is picking up, so will bring back gear to fish this side. Ok the question, If anyone needs something from Dubai, let me know...I can bring it and courier it to anywhere in the states if you want. Dubai is a long way for you to order something online, so if you have anything I can bring it. You have most of what you need in US, but if you ever wanted something unique to Dubai let me know. No charges. Let me know before the evening of the 15th Dubai time/date!
    Last edited by Lowaldo; 07-14-2019 at 06:20 AM.

Go to the Home Page and scroll down to Coldwater Fly Fishing and you can post species specific pics here.

Or

Scroll down to Fly Fishing The United States and select the region you were fishing in(i.e., Northeast, Driftless Region, Rocky Mountain Range, ect.) . Each regional selection has a list of states included in that region to help you pick the correct one.

Hi Everyone, thanks for the info and tips. Had my first 90min casting lesson in Dubai on grass with a 4 weight rod, and went OK. Room for improvement, but will at least get the fly in the water. Rest I will learn there with a guide. At least I now have an basic idea of the rod and casting. It was great fun, and I like the technique... Thanks again, anyhow.... two questions?

I want to maybe post some pics etc of our trip - under which forum topic / group should I post it just to not have it in the wrong area and bore the people. Thanks.
    Kevin

Lowaldo....I've offered my opinion and hope you strongly consider the Adirondacks as I know you will have a good time. You really don't need a guide, the road parallels the river for 20+ miles and for $50/d you can rent a setup that you would need. I'm sure the shop would give you some free casting lessons right there at the shop and some insight on how to fish for 2 days. Fly fishing isn't as difficult as its made out to be.

I don't live in the Smokey Mountains....but I do live in Southwest VA. Very close and a similar climate. I can say I personally do not trout fish in the summer months on local streams where I live because the trout are all but gone. The water gets very hot, the streams get very low and the stockies are all but dead by mid-July. I've fished the Smokies on several occasions and had similar experiences there with the fishing being difficult. Throw in the people floating the rivers with inner tubes and rafts and I'd say forget it. There may be some exceptions that I'm not aware of like certain high gradient brook trout streams...but good luck finding these.

I fish tailwaters down here in the South during the Summer months. These are dam controlled streams where the water is much colder and fish are more plentiful. However......they can be unpredictable. It would be a shame if you made plans to fish them on your own without a guide if the water was too high to wade. You can however....fish from a boat.

If you do come down here...fish the tailwaters and hire a guide for a float boat or wade trip if conditions allow. The Caney, South Holston, Clinch and Watagua are all excellent Tailwaters in TN this time of year.

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

The Smokies are my home waters and have been for 40 years. That being said, I would NOT recommend them at this time of the year and for a new fisherman. The water does warm up especially in the lower to mid elevations. Yes, there are tubers here but they are in the lower elevations where one really has no business fishing due to the warm temps.

The Smokies are a wild fish only area. They are extremely spooky. The water tends to be low this time of year and is clear as gin. Stealth is an absolute must. Fishing here as a new one the only way I would recommend it is with a guide. Even us old hands get humbled at times.
    Mainline the blueline

8. Likes trout stalker liked this post

I would think that if you are going to be in the South in the summer, you should focus on bass rather than trout. The further south you go the bigger they get. We fished once in Lake Toho (not far from Orlando) and caught LMB in the 6-9 lb range, one after the other.

Lowaldo, there’s another guy on the forum, camelbrass, who is a flyfishing guide in Dubai. He runs a charter, chasing Queenfish. Have you seen the video, Dubai On The Fly?
    There's not a day that goes by that I don't wonder how dreary this world would be if elk were bald and birds had no feathers.
    - Hank Patterson

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345