Visiting from South Africa - want to do fishing.

Lowaldo

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Hope you well? Im new to the forum, looking for some advice please. Planning on visiting the US, coming from South Africa.

Probably arriving via New York. Can arrange different point of entry. Looking to see some countryside, but also do some bass or Trout fishing. I have experience in Bass fishing, but no Trout / fly fishing experience. The guided trips I've searched, are too expensive using our South African Rands, but it does look like a good trip.

Anyhow, I'm looking to see if it is possible to just like rent or buy equipment and go fish the waters myself for a day or two for the experience. Would be nice to overnight as well alongside the river or close by. I believe we have the same type of facilities and fishing possibilities in South Africa, so this I am not worried about. Just want to know if this is possible to do on my own, and more importantly..will this be cheaper?

Also then, which area would you recommend going to? Time is critical, as getting from New York to like Montana and then the fish waters takes a while, so trying to get the best experience, for time available Would say I have about 2-3 days available, including the travel time. Also considering staying closer to NY and find water there?

TO help your advice...Im planning to arrive NY then take a flight / drive to are of fishing and then travel to Nashville by car/flight and then back to East Coast to take flight back to home. So anywhere in between, where would you suggest trying the fishing?

I just need to see some countryside, and get a line in the water and experience like we see on the TV. We have amazing countryside and fish water in South Africa, but the US is different.

Thanks for reading and taking time to reply with advice. My Whatsapp is +971504672738 if anyone wants to reply via mobile. Have a good day. Thank you.

Regards
Lowaldo

spm

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Lowaldo. There are plenty of trout streams in upstate NY and the east coast, but the east coast members are more qualified to answer your questions, so I'll defer to them.

Travel safely.
steve

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
I second the northeast. Great trout and bass fishing in New England. You could fly into Boston (when we visited SA we flew out of Boston, good easy flights. In fact my daughter is in SA now, we will be picking her up in Boston next week. We have friends in Cape Town, I don't know about flights to other parts of SA). Anyway, it is a short drive from Boston to Vermont, a beautiful state with good sightseeing as well as fishing (pike in addition to bass, trout, salmon,etc.). If you come in the fall you can enjoy the beauty of the foliage season.

flybri2

Reaction score
What is the date of your trip? The Catskill mountains are about a 3 hour car ride from NYC and offer really good trout fishing. I asked about the date because many of the rivers get warm for trout during July-August but the West Branch of the Delaware offers real good trout fishing all summer.
If your looking for bass, there's plenty of lakes and rivers around the city in both NY and NJ.
There also saltwater fishing if your looking to go that route.

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
If your looking for bass, there's plenty of lakes and rivers around the city in both NY and NJ.
I think a lot of people don't realize there is great bass fishing right in the heart of NYC, in Central Park and especially in Prospect Park in Brooklyn.

YouTube

And you can fish for stripers in the Hudson River.

dennyk

Reaction score
Hi Lowaldo, I can't offer any advice being a Michigan boy, but welcome to the forum and have a safe trip.

Hope the areas you visit are beyond your expectations!

Denny

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
Would say I have about 2-3 days available, including the travel time. Also considering staying closer to NY and find water there?

TO help your advice...Im planning to arrive NY then take a flight / drive to are of fishing and then travel to Nashville by car/flight and then back to East Coast to take flight back to home. So anywhere in between, where would you suggest trying the fishing?

I just need to see some countryside, and get a line in the water and experience like we see on the TV.

You would certainly do well to stay in New York and fish in the Catskills or Adirondacks. Another place is to go into Pennsylvania. Many trout streams are there.

I can't get you specific waters, but a great way to see some of our country would be to take Interstate 81 and Interstate 40 from NYC through Virginia to Nashville. That will take you through or near several of our national forests which will have trout in various places. I won't say what waters because I have not fished there.

Be aware that New York City to Nashville is 1,425 kilometers and will take at least fourteen hours of driving one way. I say that because many people visiting our country do not realize how big the United States is.

Shenandoah National Park is along the way and is beautiful. It does have native brook trout but it may be difficult fishing for them (others can tell you about fishing there).

Also, not far off that route is Cumberland Gap National Park. You leave Interstate 81 and drive through the park by state highways and then take state roads to Interstate 40 and on to Nashville. There is no fishing in Cumberland Gap, but it is beautiful and historic. Our early pioneers used the gap to cross the mountains.

planettrout

Reaction score
My son just spent a couple of days over the 4th. of July at the Hungry Trout in Wilmington, up in the Adirondack Mountains, in upstate New York on the Au Sable River...

The Hungry Trout Resort in Wilmington NY, Whiteface's premier lodging, hotel establishment.

If you want to head up that way, this guy - Vince Wilcox - has a great fly shop and motel in the area. He also is one of the best fly tiers I know and an excellent guide:

WILEYS FLIES HOME PAGE

My son, Michael, lives in NYC and spends more of his time around Roscoe, NY fishing the Delaware, Beaver Kill and West Branch. These are his go to guys for that area:

Dette Flies - Since 1928

Below is the Upper Delaware in the Fall:

Hatch Chart:

These are variants on Rowan Nyman's "Shop Vac", #16 - #20, that I tie for my son that work well in that area:

Self explanatory:

PT/TB

Last edited:

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Lowaldo,

Do you have a sense of when you'll be visiting? The season will matter.

That said, there's plenty of public water for bass just about everywhere in America and public water for trout in America pretty much anywhere the water is cold and clean enough. And there will be stocked trout in water that isn't actually cold and clean enough.

Fishing in the US on public water is very inexpensive. You'll have to buy a general fishing license and a trout license, but those are generally reasonably priced, even for non-residents. Once you have the license, fishing on public water is free. Most people fish public water their entire lives and never hire a guide. I think you'll find that fishing gear will generally be cheaper in the US than in South Africa, even with a relatively weak rand. There isn't much gear rental in the US, but you can buy inexpensive spinning gear at a Walmart or any sporting goods store. Fly gear pretty much requires going to a specialty fly shop, a bigger outdoor store like a Cabelas or Bass Pro, or buying online. If you're set on fly fishing, I would recommend trying a fly shop first, because you'll likely get better advice on good, local public water. I think you may find that prices in the US are low enough that it might be worth buying some fishing gear in the US to take home with you, if you're in the market.

As far as a place to stay, there are inexpensive motels just about everywhere. You won't have a problem finding inexpensive restaurants, but you can always fill a cooler (that's American for "cool box") with food from the supermarket. Rental cars are about the same prices as in SA, filling the tank will be less than half what it costs you at home. There's no reason you can't rent a car, see some countryside, get a feel for parts of the US, and get in some good, inexpensive fishing.

Once you have a sense of exactly where you want to go, I think you'll find people on this and other websites will be happy to help you. You'll also get good advice from local flyshops and I'd recommend checking out the websites for the state departments of natural resources.

Don't forget to stay on the right side of the road...

Good luck!

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
Actually you can walk into Walmart and outfit yourself with a no-name fly rod, reel, line, leaders, tippet, flies, net, whatever else you need, without spending a fortune. Not like high end Orvis or Sage, but you could catch some fish and then give it all to some little kid before you go home.

Lowaldo

Reaction score
Hi Curmudgeon, Big thanks for this info. Sounds positive. Expecting to arrive NY on the 16th July...drive towards the fishing area on the 19th to then spend 2-3days in the area. I made brief contact with Vince from Wiley's Flies, and will give him a call as well.

Good idea to buy in US and take home yes. Thanks. As many things in life this would be a first, and with the new environment etc, I'm sure any fishing spot would be fully appreciated and fun to experience.

Would you say a crash course in fly fishing back home would be enough to sort me, or what would you recommend? Is it possible to get trout using Bass gear and technique?

For now it sounds good to take the 5h drive up to Wiley's Flies or Hungry Trout Resort, spends 2 days fishing then drive across to Boston and take a domestic flight to the country side if needed.

Thanks again, and looking forward to your reply.

Lowaldo

Reaction score
I second the northeast. Great trout and bass fishing in New England. You could fly into Boston (when we visited SA we flew out of Boston, good easy flights. In fact my daughter is in SA now, we will be picking her up in Boston next week. We have friends in Cape Town, I don't know about flights to other parts of SA). Anyway, it is a short drive from Boston to Vermont, a beautiful state with good sightseeing as well as fishing (pike in addition to bass, trout, salmon,etc.). If you come in the fall you can enjoy the beauty of the foliage season.
Thanks, good idea. Going via Dubai, so have a few extra options for US entry point. Hope she enjoys Cape Town..once of the safer areas for now.

Lowaldo

Reaction score
What is the date of your trip? The Catskill mountains are about a 3 hour car ride from NYC and offer really good trout fishing. I asked about the date because many of the rivers get warm for trout during July-August but the West Branch of the Delaware offers real good trout fishing all summer.
Thanks flybri2. Arriving 16th July. Would the water in the Wilmington area also be too warm maybe?

Lowaldo

Reaction score
You would certainly do well to stay in New York and fish in the Catskills or Adirondacks. Another place is to go into Pennsylvania. Many trout streams are there.

I can't get you specific waters, but a great way to see some of our country would be to take Interstate 81 and Interstate 40 from NYC through Virginia to Nashville. That will take you through or near several of our national forests which will have trout in various places. I won't say what waters because I have not fished there.

Be aware that New York City to Nashville is 1,425 kilometers and will take at least fourteen hours of driving one way. I say that because many people visiting our country do not realize how big the United States is.

Shenandoah National Park is along the way and is beautiful. It does have native brook trout but it may be difficult fishing for them (others can tell you about fishing there).

Also, not far off that route is Cumberland Gap National Park. You leave Interstate 81 and drive through the park by state highways and then take state roads to Interstate 40 and on to Nashville. There is no fishing in Cumberland Gap, but it is beautiful and historic. Our early pioneers used the gap to cross the mountains.
Thank you Sir. Think I might try to stay up NE and then take a flight to Nashville after the fishing. Looks like I might go up to Adirondacks area, and operate from there. Thanks.

Lowaldo

Reaction score
Thanks Planettrout. Good Info! Wow looks stunning. I searched the area and places you mentioned. Looks good and more affordable than the places in Montana I was looking at! Made contact with Vince. Waiting on Hungry Trout. Both looks great!
Looking at the map and times....going via Adirondacks area and then Boston is better, than doing Deleware and then on wards.

Lowaldo

Reaction score
Actually you can walk into Walmart and outfit yourself with a no-name fly rod, reel, line, leaders, tippet, flies, net, whatever else you need, without spending a fortune. Not like high end Orvis or Sage, but you could catch some fish and then give it all to some little kid before you go home.
Jip was thinking the same! Good idea thanks. Would you say Walmart or a Cabela's would offer better options?

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Hi Curmudgeon, Big thanks for this info. Sounds positive. Expecting to arrive NY on the 16th July...drive towards the fishing area on the 19th to then spend 2-3days in the area. I made brief contact with Vince from Wiley's Flies, and will give him a call as well.

Good idea to buy in US and take home yes. Thanks. As many things in life this would be a first, and with the new environment etc, I'm sure any fishing spot would be fully appreciated and fun to experience.

Would you say a crash course in fly fishing back home would be enough to sort me, or what would you recommend? Is it possible to get trout using Bass gear and technique?

For now it sounds good to take the 5h drive up to Wiley's Flies or Hungry Trout Resort, spends 2 days fishing then drive across to Boston and take a domestic flight to the country side if needed.

Thanks again, and looking forward to your reply.
Plenty of people use spinning gear to fish for trout, that just isn't what this website is about. What part of SA are you in? If you have friends who flyfish for trout or a fly shop nearby, I would definitely recommend that you arrange for some casting lessons and try to catch a few trout before you visit the US. That way you can come somewhat prepared. Otherwise, visiting new water to fish for a new species while also trying to learn to fly cast, select flies, and present flies might be frustrating. Since you're already a bass fisherman, I would recommend that you plan on doing some bass fishing as well, with fly if you like, but also with whatever gear you are already familiar with. You can do that almost anywhere, including in the Nashville area.

flybri2

Reaction score
Thanks flybri2. Arriving 16th July. Would the water in the Wilmington area also be too warm maybe?
Coming in July I would recommend you visit the upper West Branch of the Delaware. It's a cold tail water that has good fishing during these hot months. I saw a new shop when I was up there last week called Troutfitters(see link below) in Deposit NY.
It's right on the water and looks to have a flyshop. This is about a 3 hr car ride from NYC.
The TroutFitter Fly Shop - Syracuse, New York

flytie09

Reaction score
If I was you and had 3x days to fish and came in from NYC in mid July...then I would direct you to the West Branch of the Ausable River in the Adirondack Mountains of New York State. It's relatively close and the hot July weather everwhere else in the Northeast US will be much cooler up there. As will the stream with all of the small brooks and springs feeding into it. Book you hotel now quick! Hopefully you're going up during the week as it gets busy up there on weekends.

There is a 7 mile stretch of special fly fishing only water and miles more of awesome fishing.

There's tons more to do beside fishing with Lake Placid, Whiteface Mountain, shopping and good beer/food. It's not a major city by any stretch of the imagination.....but it's tnot the end of the world either. You might see some athletes up there practicing for the Olympics, figure skaters, hockey players....it's a real cool place for sure.

Buy your fishing license online. Stop in at one of the 2x fly shops in the area, the Hunry Trout Fly Shop or the Ausable River Two Fly Shop, gear up, get a 30 minute casting lesson, follow the map and have at it. The beauty about the Ausable is it's a good sized river...but it's not intimidating and you don't really need a guide to catch fish. If you can get your boots on straight....you should be able to catch fish.

Some resources for you:

River Reports | Hungry Trout Resort - An Adirondack Escape
West Branch AuSable River | AuSable River Two Fly Shop
Fly Fishing On West Branch of the Ausable River
https://www.whitefaceregion.com/files/public/pdf/AusableFlyfishingBrochure2015edit.pdf

Just so I'm not leaving anyone out. Check out Wiley's Flies which is just outside Lake Placid. Has lodging there too.

WILEYS FLIES HOME PAGE

Now you've got me itching to go back up there.

The Catskills is a good choice too......but I see low water and high water temps forecasted currently. I'd steer clear if I was you. But definitely should be on everyone's bucket list.

ft09

Last edited: