Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  22
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Are there bears there?

Quote Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
    I can't find anything about any fatal attacks there. I'd be more concerned about Rattlesnakes.
    Right, I used to live in thick black bear country and used to see how close I could get to them. They're more scared of people than a Whitetail deer. A sign of a human up close and they crash brush in the other direction. I've lived in grizzly country for more than 20 years now and I DEFINITELY avoid them at all costs.

haha Good tip you got there

Marana ,Hellazonia . Idaho , Utah , Mt , NM and Wyoming at different times of the year .

Good advice y'all , ain't no bears gonna hurt you in N. M. . They All too skeerd to attack a human . Get on over to the Tube and search bear attacks and before you say well it weren't THAT many , it was to the guy or gal that got bit of died from a skeerd cat black bear .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ron Zimmerman

Driving a 52 Chevy in a Cadillac lane on my way to a river near you .

Don't forget your duct tape , Red Green

Thread Killer

Currently Westminster, Co. Headed to "West Slope" next few years

If tent camping don't have anything inside that smells of food. Including items like gum. Also LOCK your vehicle's doors at night. Bears are good about opening car doors. Not uncommon around here for bears breaking into cars and sometimes getting locked inside. And they will total it. Generally they are not aggressive. Don't know if there are Moose in that area. If there are give them their space.

Boulder Bear Takes Unintentional Joy Ride In Subaru – CBS Denver

Wildlife Officials Free Bear Stuck Inside Car – CBS Denver

Bear Breaks Into Subaru, Lured By Gummy Bears Inside – CBS Denver
    “one opportunity, one encounter”
    一期一会

There was a woman who got attacked in the Valles Caldera in NM a few years ago. She was in one of those nature trail races, and came up over a rise and ran right between a cub and its mother, scaring the cub up a tree.

The lesson here is that running is bad for you.

6. Likes jangles, Ard, ia_trouter liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by jangles View Post
    Good advice y'all , ain't no bears gonna hurt you in N. M. . They All too skeerd to attack a human . Get on over to the Tube and search bear attacks and before you say well it weren't THAT many , it was to the guy or gal that got bit of died from a skeerd cat black bear .
    Here you go, Ron...the bear that attacked the Raton guy last July in the article from your screenshot above. The guy finally killed the bear with a headshot and then the bear fell on him trapping him between the bear and a boulder. The bear died with his jaw still clamped on the guy's calf muscle...they had to cut the bear's head off to unlock his jaw and free the man for a nice helicopter ride to the hospital. After reading the article last year and research, I changed my camp gun to a 10mm Glock.

MIKE ADAIR - Exploring New Mexico landscapes through fly fishing, golf, and art.
    @mka133

8. Likes jangles liked this post

I have been fishing and hunting in New Mexico all my life and bears are not a worry.... Mountain Lions do kinda freak me out though. Have never seen one, but we do get them on the trail cams from time to time. Saw a bob-cat last year in the wilderness. I see bears on every trip to Montana... I rarely see them here in NM... My buddy saw one a couple weeks ago in the high country and it split quick.

Don't worry about the bears... I did run across a guy living out in the wilderness a few years back. That kinda freaked me out as he looked like he had been there a looong time.
    Quality Fly Fishing Reels at www.taylorflyfishing.com

10. Likes ejsell, el jefe liked this post
    Marana ,Hellazonia . Idaho , Utah , Mt , NM and Wyoming at different times of the year .

Quote Originally Posted by taylorreels View Post
    I have been fishing and hunting in New Mexico all my life and bears are not a worry.... Mountain Lions do kinda freak me out though. Have never seen one, but we do get them on the trail cams from time to time. Saw a bob-cat last year in the wilderness. I see bears on every trip to Montana... I rarely see them here in NM... My buddy saw one a couple weeks ago in the high country and it split quick.

Don't worry about the bears... I did run across a guy living out in the wilderness a few years back. That kinda freaked me out as he looked like he had been there a looong time.
    You didn't get my point , it only takes one and it will really suck if you are that one that it decides to attack . In Bc a black bear killed 2 or 3 people and injured 2 or 3 more at a rest area . On Van Couver Island one killed a woman while her husband attacked it back with a friggin pocket knife , thx Canada for your stupid gun laws . There are many more instances out there if a person looks. One search I did suggested that there had been more fatalities by black bears than grizzly .

MKA , my camp gun is a 460 Rowland and in the back country I have another 460 in a chest rig and bear spray on my belt . If I do ever need it I'll have it , if I don't , I carried an extra 3 pounds for nothing . I'm good with that . thanks
    Ron Zimmerman

Thread Killer

12. Likes mka liked this post
    Southeastern Ontario, Canada (armpit of the trout fishing universe)

Quote Originally Posted by jangles View Post
    On Van Couver Island one killed a woman while her husband attacked it back with a friggin pocket knife , thx Canada for your stupid gun laws
    And Canada thanks you for not coming to Vancouver Island.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

14. Thanks jangles thanked for this post

Quote Originally Posted by rfb700 View Post
    And Canada thanks you for not coming to Vancouver Island.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
    And canada is welcome .
    Ron Zimmerman

Thread Killer

16. Likes rfb700 liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12