Where Would You Live? Fly Angler's Lifeplan

neversink

Reaction score
One day, my boss asked me, "What would you do, if you have a billion dollars?" I said I'd paint my old Volvo, buy big enough house and a boat, buy cool clothes and bags for my wife, put education money in kids' bank account.

Then he asked again, "What would you do with the rest of money? Start business or start second life?" I said, "No. I'll go fishing, so I don't need to mind metropolitan rubbish".

Name one location in the world. Just one place.

A place must be populated enough to create a job
A place must be civilized enough for raising family
A place must be wild enough to fish for freshwater or saltwater species

Where do you want to live?

bjweller

Reaction score
I'm a 2nd generation Colorado native. We have great fishing and I will most likely die fishing here someday. That said, I absolutely love Ennis, MT. Big fish. The whole town is one big fishing community. The grocery store has mounted fish on the walls outside. It is a short drive from the Madison, Gallatin, Big Hole, Ruby, and others. With a million dollars, I could see myself moving there and fishing forever.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Been There, Done That;

I can tell you this for sure, it does not take money it takes a sense of adventure. I have been fortunate to have been born into the best trout fishing range I have ever seen but I had the wander lust and it took me through 46 states and 9 provinces of Canada. I still long for my boyhood creek but where I live now you seldom catch a fish that you measure by the inch. Most are big and they come in runs, someday I'll move back to the lower 48 and then I'll visit my old haunts but I will always remember some of the things I have seen and done here.

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
I already live here! I'm right smack dab in the heart of the west's greatest flyfishing destinations. The Henry's Fork is a mere 30 minutes to 1 hour away - depending on where we go. The South Fork of the Snake River is in my backyard. Henry's Lake, just over an hour away. The Madison only 2 hours. Silver Creek about 2 1/2 hours. Utah's Green River about 3 1/2 hours with the Provo at 3 hours.

I'm in fishing heaven! Who would want to go anywhere else to live? :frogdance

Thanks for asking :D:D:D

Kelly.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Neversink, I wish you would post more often. I would still like to introduce you to a friend of mine in Island Park.:)

I'm in somewhat the same boat as Kelly, we both haunt a lot of the same waters even though we have never met and fished together. He mentioned some great water, but we also have many streams and stillwater destinations that fish very well, and don't get near the pressure.

Last edited:

rmooney

Reaction score
I tell ya, nothing beats the northwoods of Wisconsin :) My family owns a lake house right in the middle of the northwoods, and man, its some of the best fishing out there. Bass and musky, all day, everyday. It would be awesome. there cant be a bigger thrill than watching a 40" musky follow a fly all the way up to the boat :)

FrankB2

Reaction score
That's a tough question, especially considering I haven't seen much outside of Pennsylvania and New Jersey in my 49 years.....:( A billion dollars is a lot of cash, so I would travel. That disqualifies me from the survey, but I'd be plenty happy with that. ;) :D

From movies, reading, etc.... I think I'd have to go with Ard's present residence. Huge fish in large numbers is tough to beat! Alaskans get an oil dividend each year, and that would help if my billion dollars ever ran out. :D

Ard Wrote:
I can tell you this for sure, it does not take money it takes a sense of adventure.
I hear that! We had our sailboat rigged for a 6 month journey in 1999, but my wife got cold feet at the last minute. She was between jobs, I was self-employed, and Jr was 11-yrs-old. We had contacted the Calvert School for a home-schooling program etc. My wife's family just isn't wired that way, and dropping out for even six months was just too much for her. Jr's on his own now, and I'm trying to get her to take a cruise before we're too old......

madjoni

Reaction score
With billion dollars i will take all you guys fishing everywhere you like :frogdance
and after spending all that money i will humbly ask mr kglissmeyer1 to adopt me :D:D:D:D

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
With billion dollars i will take all you guys fishing everywhere you like :frogdance
and after spending all that money i will humbly ask mr kglissmeyer1 to adopt me :D:D:D:D
Without a doubt this is the best answer yet! A very gracious man who has a contingency plan.:cool:

Fly2Fish

Reaction score
Neversink, this is a great question, and well posed. For me, it would be New Mexico, north or south. Great country, all year around, even considering that the State's trout fishery management leaves a lot to be desired.

Of course, there's Wyoming - my moniker - but that would have to be my "summer home", in Jackson Hole.

Last edited:

wt bash

Reaction score
I don't need a billion or even a million give me a tent, my gear, some materials, a good travel vise, and just enough money so I can get my out of state licenses and ofcourse extra tippet! Oh and enough gas money to go where ever I haven't been and back around again. Too much money can spoil the experiance.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know about that "Too much money can spoil the experience" part WT. I have never had too much so I can't provide a first hand account on quality of experience.

Here in Alaska having one of these > Found Bush Hawk Aircraft history performance and specifications will certainly improve the experience. :frogdance Last year I flew in a 2008 with less than 300 hours on it and let me tell ya.......... This will get you about anywhere up here, take a look at the specs. The range with floats is over 700 miles! No, I will not argue against money but will agree that if you intend to wait until you get a Bush Hawk before you go wandering it may be a long wait.

wt bash

Reaction score
It would just feel weird if I had enough money! My excursions usually end up in a pawn shop selling what I can for gas money home! hahahah! I can spend a thousand in seconds but I can also hang on to a ten spot for a month!

Reaction score
Why tie yourself down to one spot if a $B is in your account.
You could own multiple homes in multiple countrys and Fish any river in the world at any peak time.
$B= Adventure.I'm not sitting still for anything.
China has a giant Salmonid, Russa, New Zeland,Patagonia,Chille Germany Northern Italy, France(last choice).To many opportunitys with all the money.
If I was a bum..Trout bum that is and had to work for survival.
Colorado is home now I have fished much of its water,but the carpetbagger in me is screaming for change. I think either of the following would do. Montana, Idaho, Oregon in the usual places would be a great place to land with my wadders on.