Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Question Deschutes River Day Trip Advice Needed

First post, so forgive me if I've placed this in the wrong forum..

My little brother and I will be out at the Deschutes River this month for a single day in the middle of the week. We're going to setup camp the night before and have a full morning/day/afternoon to try and catch some Redsides. I don't think either of us will be fishing for steelhead.
    We are not reserving a guide for this particular trip, quite frankly, because of our limited travel budget..

So far, I've identified Beavertail Campground as the spot we'd like to setup. I figure since we're not drifting, the road access will be nice, and from what I've read the road north of Maupin and the trail north of Mack's Canyon are solid spots.

However, we only have 24 hours of fishing and I've also heard July/August aren't the best times for trout here.. Worried about getting skunked. Or more-so, wondering if I've picked the right place. I really want to hook my little brother on a couple trout and I've heard that the Trout Creek/Warm Springs area might be more promising with higher numbers of larger trout..

Any insight as to where I might consider setting up and fishing when we visit the Deschutes this month? We only have the 1 day but I know if we catch even a few, we'll be super stoked and happy. If they're hogs, it's just a plus.

Thanks!

Default Re: Deschutes River Day Trip Advice Needed

I'm far from an expert of the Deschutes.....but July/Aug is not a bad time to fish by any means. Steelhead are just start coming into the Lower Deschutes that time of the year......but it is tough to expect success catching a steelhead if you only have 1x full day to explore.

The only problem for that time of year is rafters and tubers. You must plan your attack around them. Mid week isn't going to be as bad I would imagine.

Your base of operations seem like a good choice. There are tons of great campsites all up the river. My only concern however, would be the fire that came up through the canyon last year. It did a lot of damage to the lower area and campgrounds and I'm not sure if they've all been rebuilt. Worth doing some more research.

River Maps | Bureau of Land Management

Contact John and Amy Hazel at the Deschutes Angler fly shop in Maupin. They can direct your efforts in such a limited window that time of year.

Start early. When the sun peaks over the canyon, take a break and stop in at the shop to recalibrate and pick up the hot patterns for the rest of the day and other great swag. It's an amazing shop everyone should visit. John is a legend and a great guy. Amy is amazing too......

Deschutes Angler Fly Shop Fishing Report

Have fun and be safe. Snakes are everywhere...and I got the worse case of poison ivy I ever had there. Keep your head on a swivel.

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

3. Likes MCHammer liked this post

Default Re: Deschutes River Day Trip Advice Needed

As you have noted there is excellent road access above and below Maupin. Above Maupin the road follows the river for several miles before coming to the locked gate. From there you can continue walking upstream quite a ways. Warm Springs to Trout Creek is great but I don't think it is any better than around Maupin. Hatches in late July will be primarily Caddis, with maybe a PMD or Yellow Sally around. Expect to see lots of rafts.

+1 on Deschutes Angler fishing reports and info. The other shop in town Deschutes Canyon Fly Shop is also good Home Page - Deschutes Canyon Fly Shop .

Good luck.