Soda butte creek in Cooke city...

ryc72

Reaction score
Curious about how soda butte creek in Cooke city fishes. I’m gonna fish soda butte in the park but wondering if it’s worth it to fish it in Cooke city as well. All of the literature I can find only talks about soda butte fishing in the park and very little about fishing it in town. Has anyone fished it in town after the fish kill they did in 15/16? Is the creek in town a lot smaller than in the park? Any opinions and information greatly appreciated. Thanks.

darkshadow

Reaction score
Fished it in 2014 before the fish kill.

Let's just say that the creek ruined me for all small creeks. I fished it upstream from Silver Gate and had quite a good time.

After the fish kill? Didn't see one fish or got one bite.

ryc72

Reaction score
Eeeeesh. Thanks for your input. When was the last time you fished it up by silver gate? If the stuff I’ve read is correct they did a kill in 2015 and then another in 2016 to be thorough.

Tarpon Time

Reaction score
Slough creek BELOW the campground...... Everyone hikes to the famed meadows.. stay away and fish below the campground. It holds bigger fish and is less crowded,. There is a downed big tree in the water a few corners from the campground you cannot miss it. Great water. I used to fish there before the crowds. Oh and keep an eye out for the bears at daybreak and dark. I have went from midges to grass hoppers there in a few casts fond memories lol. It is worth a drive to the top of the beartooth highway when you are so close. Check out long lake next to the road before the switchbacks on the bearthooth highway. Lots of small brookies fun and tasty. There are enough in the lake to have a fire and eat a few. I lived in the area for 33 years.. Any other info needed I will share what I know.

ryc72

Reaction score
Thank you tarpon. I have a full day committed to slough creek. Two hour horse back ride in and out with a full day of fishing in between. Should be fishing water on slough that sees very little pressure. That’s the highlight of the trip...Can’t wait.