Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  38
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rod Ferrules;

Default Re: Rod Ferrules;

Spigot ferrules are more labor intensive to make therefore you see less of them but they keep the action and taper continuous. Tip over ferrules are thicker at the junction but they are so good nowadays that it would be hard to tell the difference, although I assume it still exists.
    I check my ferrules several times during a fishing session to make sure they're snug and they do come loose as I do a lot of oval casting. To date I have never cracked a female ferrule but I have seen it on some rods I have acquired used, they get sent back. I always check the females with a loope when I get the rod.

2. Thanks ratchet thanked for this post
    Likes Ard, dynaflow liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by fishing hobo View Post
    I agree with Silver, when the cast feels funny, check you ferrules for loosening/twisting. I gently rub wax onto the male end before assembling a new rod. The other issue is if you put on too tight when ambient temp is high and then it becomes low they can get stuck.
    I think you are exactly right.

Hot air expands and when the air cools, there is a vacuum created in the hollow rod section and this vacuum tends to create a stuck ferrule.

Buy some canned air, turn it upside down and spray the stuck ferrule. This will coat the ferrule with the canned air liquid and as the liquid evaporates, it will cool the female and male side of the ferrules. But the female is over the male and the female end will contract which will tend to push the male side out. It works most of the time to release the stuck ferrule.

Prevention is best and do wax the male ferrule. I carry a birthday candle in my vest for that purpose.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Blog Entries

My old PM-10 five weight used to get stuck at the 3rd section to tip junction. Oddly enough this would occur winter or summer and the cure came to be submerging it in the water of Spring Creek. Stuck so tightly I couldn't pull it apart even when I was a 6'5" iron pumping 40 year old…. A quick dunk in the cool magic water and the joint came free with little effort. Go figure? I can't say that'll work for everyone but it always worked for me

As has been mentioned several times in other discussions it's good to carry one of those thin 4" X 4" pieces of rubberized material sold for twisting the lids from stubborn jars of pickles etc. Many a rod guide has been torn loose or smashed during the life & death struggle to disjoin a rod ferrule. The rubberized patch keeps the hand from slipping, I have 2 in my tackle bag but don't remember the last time I needed them. Yeah, I know this was about loose or damaged and now I've strayed into stuck...

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

5. Likes ia_trouter, unknownflyman liked this post

I'm no physicist but that whole expansion-contraction thing really works. I've done automotive work my whole life in one form or another. Glad that new Cadillac owner wasn't around to see us get out the torch and fire extinguisher to remove that hopelessly stuck crankshaft pulley. Cold crank, warm pulley. Slid right off like we knew what we were doing.

Very cool thread, thanks for sharing everyone.

I don't have an issue with single hand rods with sections coming loose, sometimes stuck but I get them apart the same ways you guys do, cold water dunk and they come apart.

Switch and spey rods, I have problems with loosening sections, more so on my other rods and not on my Sage X switch.

I`ll be fishing and in my spey casting groove, working my way down river for a few hours then first thing I notice is my aim must be off, its not landing where I`m looking not even close and then its starting to take much more effort to pound out a cast and at that point I know and re set the rod.

I've not ruined a two handed rod because of this, but I do know a few guys that have, breaking the ferrule section on a extremely loose section and a power bomb cast with a sink tip and heavy fly.

Jim Green, a man who I found out more about from this forum and truly someone I wished I would have met. His demeanor on fly casting is wonderful. What a mind and a talent.

I have both kinds of spigot ferrules besides modern.

Thanks again

8. Likes Ard liked this post
    Blog Entries

I don't want to wander too far off Steve but have observed quite a few Spey casters and... The guys who create a lot of swish and slurp sounds are the same people who seem to have ferrules loosening the most. Most people I see are hurrying the strokes and overpowering the cast. Myself, I try to remain more deliberate from sweep to the actual landing of the line & fly on the water. If you find that your casts are quiet you may also find very few loose joints unless you are fishing with itchmesir then there may be loose joints

Let it not be said I have no sense of humor.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

10. Likes unknownflyman, ia_trouter liked this post

I guess I never noticed the correlation, but yes, while I'm good for being new the few seasons of two handed casting, the silent casts are the most powerful.

Don't make me laugh while tying caddis, . Got another fishing buddy that wants to go out fishing with me tomorrow, and I`m likely tying for two. Dewayne than Itchmesir last weekend, Ryan tomorrow and calls for next weekend. Its fun getting out with friends, the summer is almost gone already.

Ferrules, yes ive never taped or waxed ferrules before, just keep them clean.

12. Likes ia_trouter liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Ard View Post
    I don't want to wander too far off Steve but have observed quite a few Spey casters and...…… The guys who create a lot of swish and slurp sounds are the same people who seem to have ferrules loosening the most. Most people I see are hurrying the strokes and overpowering the cast. Myself, I try to remain more deliberate from sweep to the actual landing of the line & fly on the water. If you find that your casts are quiet you may also find very few loose joints unless you are fishing with itchmesir then there may be loose joints

Let it not be said I have no sense of humor.
    Itchy is a really good dude. A nice and mellow guy, and his glass casts are so pretty to watch. He is coming back here eventually whether he likes it or not. Give Steve and I some time. I do miss him on the forum.

Blog Entries

I was just having fun, at my age you can bet I've had to deal with some loose joints over the years myself

The way I'm driving my post count today you'd think I was about to list something for sale

15. Likes ia_trouter liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Ard View Post
    I was just having fun, at my age you can bet I've had to deal with some loose joints over the years myself

The way I'm driving my post count today you'd think I was about to list something for sale
    I can attest you have a VERY good sense of humor Ard. The mod thing gets in the way as it is hard to switch back and forth between serious and having fun. Steve and I have a blast here on the silly threads. We say what we want and apologize now and then when somebody misunderstands our intent. We dish it out and we take what's coming back to us. Steve and k_e_v have successfully painted me as the biggest fly mooch in the Driftless. I think that accusation is gonna stick lol. I'll get through it. It's all good, and I'll get even at some point. If you want me to drive 350 miles to fish with you, then you share your hot flies. It's not that complicated and I'm worth it lol.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12