Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  38
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rod Ferrules;

Blog Entries

Default Rod Ferrules;

I should say rod ferrules and those new to fly rods. I have over the years spotted many a post about loose or damaged ferrules and thought I would offer advice regarding how (possibly) I have avoided problems over a long period of fishing time. When assembling your fly rod think to avoid 2 things, one would be forcing the sections together too tightly; two would be to connect the sections too loosely.

The forcing together of modern graphite rod ferrules can (in some instances) lead to rapid wear of the female sleeve of the ferrule or in worst cases, splitting the female sleeve. Conversely, to assemble the sections without their being snug may lead to the joints becoming excessively loose during use which in the worst case may also lead to a cracked female sleeve.

So where's the sweet spot? Each rod and each user will determine this individually is my answer. I have been able to fish with both single hand and 2 hand rods for a long time with only a handful of times where I discovered a loose ferrule. On the other hand I've fished with others who, due to various casting idiosyncrasies place much more torque on their rods during casting and therefore experience loosening ferrules frequently. I have never waxed or taped a rod ferrule but it seems I have smooth casting strokes that produce low levels of twist and torque. If you find your rod getting loose I would point to a light rub of paraffin (and I do mean light) on the male ferrule section. Try to be even with the distribution of wax so the pressure on the joint remains uniform.

Remember; the answer to a rod coming loose during use is not to jam the sections together. If the rod seems to be tight after initial assembly but loosens during use this may not mean the ferrules are defective. It may be an indicator of some anomaly in your casting that is causing the rod to loosen during use. Fly fishing is a thinking game so whenever something strange or negative begins to occur, stop and think before you take any actions.

Last edited by Ard; 07-11-2019 at 04:49 PM. Reason: spelling..........

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Default Re: Rod Ferrules;

What! It couldn't possibly be my fault!
    My best vacation is your worst nightmare. After all, it's only really fun if it is at least Type 2 fun.

3. Likes Ard liked this post

Very Interesting I had just searched a couple nights ago on ferrules as I have a glass rod with glass male end and the female end are a good spaced apart yet on the mandrel. I have two glass rods like this. I was fishing with Itchy last weekend he was in my neck of the woods and he said that's a good distance between the rod sections. My other rod the gap is closer a 1/4" or so.

I`m not sure what kind of ferrule it is, spigot? or is that the metal ones like on old glass and bamboo, but apparently I have old school ferrules on two glass rods I own.

They don't come off, and they do pop when pulling apart I assume that means no cracks in the glass.

How many different kinds of ferrules did they make over the years?

5. Likes Ard liked this post

Oval casting stroke tend to loosen ferrules.

I find that when the ferrules start to loosen, there will be a change in how the rod casts. It is hard to describe but the rod feels less precise. It takes more effort to cast.

If you look down the rod, you will see the guides will be offset at one of the joints. This is the one that is loose and needs to be tightened. There is no need to check the other ferrules if the guides remain lined up.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by unknownflyman View Post
    Very Interesting I had just searched a couple nights ago on ferrules as I have a glass rod with glass male end and the female end are a good spaced apart yet on the mandrel. I have two glass rods like this. I was fishing with Itchy last weekend he was in my neck of the woods and he said that's a good distance between the rod sections. My other rod the gap is closer a 1/4" or so.

I`m not sure what kind of ferrule it is, spigot? or is that the metal ones like on old glass and bamboo, but apparently I have old school ferrules on two glass rods I own.

They don't come off, and they do pop when pulling apart I assume that means no cracks in the glass.

Hi Steve,

The ferrules you describe are spigot types, all my old Hardy rods have them. They don't seat the way our modern joints do and once they seem tight, that's it. Some of the rolled rolled lip nickel silver ferrules don't want to seat completely and usually a good swabbing out with alcohol will set things right. Even if you have a newer metal ferrule with Super Z type stainless turned & machined ferrules they can get fouled with debris and need a cleaning out.

As an interesting side note, or not... my old Far & Fine rod is as tight as the day I first laid hands on it some 40 years ago. I'd have to credit that to a few cleanings and proper assembly over the decades. I never heard much about tape or wax until I discovered Spey Pages where there seems to be chronic loose ferrule syndrome present among Spey casters. Whether I was born under the correct astrological array or what I don't know but even my 2 hand casting seems a smooth and aligned stroke

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

8. Thanks unknownflyman thanked for this post

the sweet spot is Snug fit.
    I don't always catch fish; but when I do I scream like a little girl.

10. Likes Ard liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by unknownflyman View Post

There is the old metal brass ferrules that were on bamboo rods.

For modern composite rods there are mainly two types. The most common is the tip over butt ferrule "invented" by Jim Green when he was at Fenwick. Fenwick named it the "Ferralite Ferrule" for their Ferralite series of fiberglass rods. It predated graphite rod technology. It was an accidental discovery as some inventions are.

Jim Green

You can read about it in Jims own words:

AD: I was wondering if you could tell me a little about how you came up with the idea for the Feralite Ferrule?

JG: Well, You're gonna laugh! One of my jobs at the Woodland Plant was that I did a lot of ferruling of the blanks. Of course in those days they used metal ferrules, and working with ferrules like that, well I kind of got tired of ferruling rods. And they weren't the best things on earth because in time they would work loose. Not only from the blank, but also just from taking them apart they would wear. Of course they added weight to the blank also. I just kept thinking to myself “there must be some kind of a better way to ferrule a rod”. One day I was looking at a blank as I recall, and I wanted to change the butt of it because I felt it was too stiff. So I took one of the blanks that I had to make this two piece fly rod and I thought, “well if I could move the tip further up the blank, why it would be softer of course”. So for some reason or another I stuck the butt section inside the tip, which moved the lesser power further up the blank. I was doing it just to try to get an idea of just what the rod would do. I wanted to cast it because I felt it would be a better rod, it was just too powerful before. So as I said, I put the butt section in the tip, then I took it down to one of the girls who was a wrapper there, and she wrapped it and put a handle on it for me. Then I went out and fished with it in the Lewis River and I was pleased. The action was good, the butt had softened up, the rod just felt better. Then it dawned on me, I said to myself, “What would be wrong with this being the ferrule on the rod”. And gosh I was excited! You can't believe how much this saved in time and effort, to be able to make a blank that you would not have to use metal ferrules and have problems. If anything wore with the Feralite Blank, it just slipped in a little further and it always kept tight. And it also took a lot of the weight out of the blank."

This article talks about the invention of the spigot ferrule:

https://edmitchelloutdoors.com/2018/...hings-to-know/

"Tom says the best he could discover the 'spigot' ferrule was created by John Tarantino (A World Champion Fly Caster) in collaboration with the JK Fisher rod company. We’ll have to leave it at that."

Tip over butt ferrule:

Spigot ferrule:

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

12. Likes Ard, unknownflyman liked this post

Is the tip-over-butt ferrule a stronger design compared to the spigot? Just wondering as I have fished both. I was under the impression that the former is harder to engineer out the flat spot and get the taper right while you can simply cut a one piece blank and just install a machined spigot for the latter and it is also lighter in weight to boot.

I also wondered why you don’t see spigotted rods very often.

14. Thanks Ard thanked for this post

Very informative thread guys. Sounds like I have two spigot ferrule rods. I knew something was different about them.

16. Likes Ard, unknownflyman liked this post
  17. Default Re: Rod Ferrules;

I agree with Silver, when the cast feels funny, check you ferrules for loosening/twisting. I gently rub wax onto the male end before assembling a new rod. The other issue is if you put on too tight when ambient temp is high and then it becomes low they can get stuck.

18. Thanks silver creek thanked for this post
    Likes Ard liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast