I sure am getting excited

LimerickShaw

Reaction score
I fly out to Colorado on Thursday and I'll be doing a day long guided wading trip on Tuesday. I'm super stoked to get out to Colorado. It's been on my bucket list for a long time. Being from Maine I've seen a lot of natural beauty but I can't wait to see the difference CO has to offer.

Not sure of where I'm fishing yet, hopefully will hear from my guide today or tomorrow, so I can plan/pack a little bit before I leave. Hoping my little east coast sea-level lungs can hang haha.

I'm just so stoked to get out there and have a full day at catching some nice cuts and browns. I've been trying to practice my casting as much as I can before going out there so I'm not too much of a chump (although it's certain I will be at least some portion of one) so hopefully that helps.

If anyone has any non-fishing fun stuff to do around Arvada and/or Frisco I'd love some info in a PM. Tight lines everyone and wish me luck! Lord knows I'll need plenty of it.

el jefe

Reaction score
Around Frisco, go do the alpine slide at Breckenridge, just about 10 minutes south of Frisco. There are other activities at the base of the ski area, too, and a nice gondola ride to reach them.

If you golf, there is a 27-hole Jack Nicklaus Signature course in Breckenridge. It is the only municipally-owned Nicklaus course in existence. There are also two beautiful golf courses in Keystone, and more alpine golf at Copper Mountain.

Being from Maine, you probably skate, so go do a few laps at the Stephen C. West Ice Arena at the south end of town, where you can go home and brag to your friends that you skated at 9,700'. My girls play hockey there. Just imagine doing that!

Main Street in Frisco is cool to cruise for the restaurants and bars.

Look at a trail ride on horseback, or a Jeep tour. Prepare to be sore after either one.

Rent a paddleboat at Lake Dillon, where you can go over to the inlets where the rivers come in near the marina, and look down into the clear water as you glide right over some big Rainbows.

I just hope the runoff has subsided enough for your fishing; it's still pretty high in a lot of places. It won't keep you from fishing, it just may limit your options. Oh, and make sure you catch some fish by the outlet mall (on the Blue) with a crowd of shoppers watching. The hot fly is a mysis shrimp. Cutthroat Anglers in Silverthorne can stock you up appropriately.

FYI, Frisco, Dillon, and Silverthorne are all kind of one town.

Oh, and drink plenty of water, and be prepared for some headaches, and you probably won't sleep well the first few nights. Denver will probably be alright; Frisco is a bit higher.

photoguy

Reaction score
Have a great trip! I'm headed there in 4 weeks with the same hopes and thoughts about that thin air! ;) And fwiw, every time I've fished with a guide, I've gotten great tips on both casting and catching, and I return a better fly fisherman. I bet you will too-

Acheron

Reaction score
I'm sure you will have an excellent experience. The rivers are still running very high and a lot depends on where in Colorado you will be. Plus you still have another week which can make a huge difference. Once the rivers peak they quickly clear.

What town are you based out of? Are you wading or floating on the guided trip? Are you fishing outside of that?

LimerickShaw

Reaction score
I'm sure you will have an excellent experience. The rivers are still running very high and a lot depends on where in Colorado you will be. Plus you still have another week which can make a huge difference. Once the rivers peak they quickly clear.

What town are you based out of? Are you wading or floating on the guided trip? Are you fishing outside of that?
I will be staying a couple nights in Arvada and a the rest in Frisco. It's a wade trip and Tuesday will be the only day I'm fishing, unfortunately. They didn't tell me where I would be fishing when I put down my deposit, assuming it's so that they can see what the water/levels are like and make a decision close, so hopefully I'll know in the next day or two. I'm fishing with Blue Quill.

Acheron

Reaction score
Cool, I'm sure they'll find a great place to take you. They have access pretty much everywhere. I have only met (been guided by) one guide from there and he was one of the best!

I will reiterate, drink a LOT of water, A LOT, like way more than you think you need. Your pee should be clear as the mountain spring water your fishing :D :D Seriously it will help you a lot.

corn fed fins

Reaction score
Hope you have fun.

Can get crowded up there as greater Denver tries to escape the heat and Summit County is only a hop away. I would just look at a map and find an area you would like to explore. After the first mile walked you'll lose about 50% of the people. For every mile after you'll lose 9.9%/mile more. The Blue fishes well and IMO it gets better the further north you get from Silverthorne. If the getting to the river is bush whacking down from the highway, the better the fishing. lol Make darn sure you have bug spay.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a great post and I'm happy for you. I remember my first trip into the west as if it were just last month and I know yours will make an impression on you :)

Have fun and tight lines.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
As you are a member of the NAFFF, We expect more than your best, Nice long smooth casts on point, Dry flies floating down on subtle air currents and landing without so much as a ripple, Dry flies riding high drag free, and mending lots of mending, long mends without twitching the fly back at all.

You can do it! In all seriousness, have a great time, and fish well!

nawagner

Reaction score
Frisco/Breck/Silverthorne have great fishing options including the Blue, in town(s) south of town(s), north of town(s)! Also some great lake fishing with native CO Cutts. Enjoy the trip!

osseous

Reaction score
I fished dries on a Creek Sunday- in the neighborhood. Kerry and boys from the Quill will put you on em!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

osseous

Reaction score
Not during high water- he'll do fine. AND, it's among the most beautiful places to fish in the country. Get psyched!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

locollama

Reaction score
Frisco is a cool town and the South Platte is a fun, challenging river to fish. Hope your have a great time and it's worth mentioning again, water is your friend at altitude

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk