Etiquette for correcting bad behaviour

rfb700

Reaction score
Southeastern Ontario, Canada (armpit of the trout
Now I despise fishing with or within a country mile of people(and people feel the same way about you RFB700. What?? But I’m so charming!!).

But every now and again I come across people on the stream or river I’m fishing. And occasionally they are doing something that’s not quite Kosher. Like the old laying the fish on the rocks to take a picture beside their fly rod that lasts until the fish is released and floats away belly up. Or the stringer of fish that seems to be the daily limit for the entire state of Wisconsin. Or my personal favorite, heaving non game fish like Chub and Fallfish up on the shore because there are too many of them taking their fly and they can’t get to the trout.

Now I’ve tried being polite, I truly have, but in most cases that just gets me verbally abused or the middle finger at best. At worst they start to threaten me. And while I’m a decent sized lad, I’m a 58 year old decent sized lad. I’m sure most of the younger generation could give me a good run for my money. It ain’t fair but there’s no fighting the aging process.

So what do you do? Try and educate them? Grin and bare it? Turn a blind eye and move on upstream? Because most people seem to object to having the error of their ways pointed out. But I on the other hand am getting sick and tired of seeing a holes on the river. Sigh. I suppose there really is no solution. Unless I could find some way to transport them to an alternate dimension. Hopefully the one that’s occupied by my ex wife. Now that would be a punishment fitting the crime.

denver1911

Reaction score
I might point out to them “why” their behavior might need modification. But I don’t “grin and bear it.” There is no “bear it” involved. I just recognize what things are in my control and what things are not. The behavior of other anglers is not in my control so I don’t let it bother me. Life is better this way.

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
These threads pop up every few months. People suck. They’re getting worse. There’s NO fixing it. I avoid people like a diaper full of fetid monkey shee-ott and do my best to remember that in a few billion years, Sol will expand enough to fully embrace this rock and all upon it in its dying, brilliant rays, so nothing really matters anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I surely haven't changed the world, but feel like I did what I could. I found some success leading by example, and making subtle comments about why I do what I do. I have been a proponent of selective harvest for most of my fishing years. When I began particapating in my in-laws annual Minnesota fishing trips, I found they were a clan of fish murderers because that's how they were trained this has to work. It's all they ever knew. 20+ attendees for literally 50yrs helping destroy the medium sized and small lakes. They thought I was flippin crazy to release nice fish. I always released my nicest fish, maybe with a pic and definitely a quick tape if I thought it was near a PB. Then I'd bring home some little ones to contribute to the fish fry. After a few years of that I saw the better fisherman in my wife's clan doing just the same. Comments like "where's the tape, I want to get this big girl back in the water quick." That's a win IMO because they now teach their kids to do the same.

We can only do what we can do with the strangers. Our time with them is very brief. I don't let it wreck my day. Being pushy will get you nowhere for sure.

My most memorable quote from my wife's uncle. "We used to fill the front of the canoe with nice crappies every night, literally hundreds of fish, I don't understand what happened to this lake". I was just speechless.

patrick62

Reaction score
^ Yes.

I can't do anything about the idiot angler but I can teach my occasional pupils how to act. They will teach theirs and so on.

corn fed fins

Reaction score
These threads pop up every few months. People suck. They’re getting worse. There’s NO fixing it. I avoid people like a diaper full of fetid monkey shee-ott and do my best to remember that in a few billion years, Sol will expand enough to fully embrace this rock and all upon it in its dying, brilliant rays, so nothing really matters anyway.
LMAO. This reminds me of this:

IMO, the real impact comes from fishing outreach programs; either youth or adult orientated. We have a flier on proper fish handling and why it's important to hand out at events. This is where "guides" can do what a guide is suppose to do and educate their clients!

Poor handling: On the river I will start a simple conversation and then slowly lead into the amount of work so many volunteers do in order to maintain the fishery, the dollars it costs, and the numbers of people using the resource. You are always going to get a "I don't care" individual. Just walk away. I think of it like this: If some angler has a fish in the dirt/weeds taking pictures, that angler doesn't catch that many fish. Yes it makes me angry, hence my signature, but the plain truth is they are not as successful as one might think.

A trespass on regulations is another situation. I will politely inform them of the reg. 99% either didn't know or play stupid. Either way, they now know people are watching. We have requested more enforcement on some stretches of our local water. The squeaky wheel gets the grease and it helps if you have a local angling club making the request.

Just remember, don't let others impact your day! Enjoy your time. Breathe in the air. Catch some fish. For every one DB you encounter there are 99 people like those here on NAFFF.

karstopo

Reaction score
Outright no doubt about it fish and game violations and there is cell service, I have discreetly called the game warden. There's a hotline in my state and Texas Parks and Wildlife encourages folks to call.

Otherwise, I try to get a feel for how deeply ignorant, obstinate and dangerous a particular person or persons are before any direct confrontation. There are some truly crazy and dangerous folks out there and somewhat remote places can make them extra bold and dangerous. In my experience, most folks that do the wrong things already know they are fish and game thieves/wasters and or have other obnoxious behavior and such and don't take well to anyone pointing out or attempting correct to the obvious facts and shortcomings. But, honestly, I can't think of an on the water confrontation that I've been a part of that has worked out well or where I got any satisfaction. So I like others, just try to avoid people as much as possible while fishing.

weiliwen

Reaction score
These days it's potentially dangerous to point out the failings of others, on the stream or elsewhere.

About 10 years ago I was on a medium-sized river at a public park. A bridge crossed the stream in the middle of the park. Above the bridge, C&R only, no bait, barbless single hook. There was a large family of Russians or Ukrainians in the C&R section with about 30 fish on a stringer. I pointed to the sign right next to them indicating the rules, and they gave me the "sorry, I don't speak English" act. I said, "well, there's a ranger station 1/2 mile away, and I'm going there to report you now. Apparently, their English improved immediately. I got to the station, talked to the park officer, who then picked up the phone to call local police. One of the guys from the fishing party bursts into the office and reached across the counter to grab the phone and hit the hook. The officer backed off and pulled out her firearm. The guy's eyes widen, he rushes out, and fishtails gravel out of the parking lot. I got back to the park and the whole crew was gone.

Acheron

Reaction score
58 and still thinking you can change people, good on ya! :)

The people who want to learn will and the rest don't care and nothing will change that. It's too bad their behavior impacts the rest but it is what it is.

midge1

Reaction score
May be better to just look the other way, it is not worth getting shot over.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh boy...……….

I'll keep it short and sweet, 35 years ago I wanted to make a difference. I wanted to make a difference in many different theaters of life. 25 years ago I had fully decided that it was a worthless struggle and was tired of the work with no real progress being made.

The only people I try (at all) to influence are the few who actually ask for advice or opinion. Strangers? Not a chance at all, it's their world, I'm just living in it.

flytie09

Reaction score
I agree with Ard. There are all different types of people out there. I've been given the finger while i was waving to people while driving into the parking lot and been told "hey I'm fishing down there...don't low hole me".....it was 800 yards down river from this joker.

I keep to myself, I wave to others, ask how's it going....but that's about it. If someone genuinely asks me for help.....I give it......but I'm not out to fix the world. If an areas crowded....I try to find a place with solace. If I can't find solace...then I accept what I see as just how things are going to be.

If someone really ticks me off.....I leave. If he's breaking the law.....I call the DNR and let them sort it out.

There are too many people out there with widely differing personalities to know how someone is going to take negative feedback or advice the wrong way and for it to end badly.

This site is moderated closely and things stay pleasant for the most part. People on here that ask a question.......are actively seeking advice or guidance....so I'll use this forum as an educational vessel for change. In the real world....there are no moderators that are hiding in the bushes that will spring out and diffuse a situation.

trout trekker

Reaction score
Western Portal Sequoia National Forest, Kern River
If you have something like this, it can help curtail over limit's or wasting / killing fish as you've described, etc.

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Enforcement/CalTIP

But I can tell you from experience that even if you are willing to go to the mat with a report, theres a chance nothing may come of it.

On the other hand, there was a case some years ago where a do-gooder decided to point out the error of their ways to two anglers who where fishing out of season. While they eventually caught up with the guys, made an arrest and got a conviction. None of that kept the do-gooder from getting his jaw wired shut.

Dave

plecain

Reaction score
I've sort of given up on warning people that they're breaking the law. The warnings are not usually well-received.

Even when I'm trying to help people who may not be aware of an odd rule they don't like it. Near me a stream has a rule that says you can't fish in that stream upstream from a line dropped straight down from the downstream edge of a particular bridge. Odd, but it's the rule and the wardens will enforce it occasionally. When I informed (politely I thought) the three guys who were upstream of where they should be, they all started on "Who are you to say where we can fish?", etc. I just said, "I'm someone who knows the rules for this place and also someone who's seen them enforced. Have a nice day."

Then on a FFO stream one day I found this stuff

DSCN1299.jpgDSCN1300.jpg

It would take a lot of convincing to get me to believe that the 'fishermen' involved here care much about the rules. I did call the enforcement number for the game wardens, but there's not much they could have done after the fact here.

Last edited:

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
I once worked for a guy whose management philosophy was: “You can get more with a kind word ... and a gun ... than just with a kind word.”

When dealing with some of the bozos (and bozettes) out there, that could be more true than we would like to admit.

Don

myt1

Reaction score
Lately, I try to pose my correction in the form of a statement that is also a question? I seem to have somewhat better luck.

“I didn't know a fish could live that long being out of the water?”

Of course, tone of voice is everything. I use every fiber of my being not to sound sarcastic.

Many times though I just give them a dirty look, move on and hope karma will catch up with them.

Last edited:

DaleR

Reaction score
In my option these things fall into two categories:

1. Fish and Game law violations for example over the limit, undersized, out of season etc....

2. Practices and behaviors that I don't agree with but are not necessarily fish and game law violations.

if they are violating the fish and game laws I will report it.

If they are they're just doing something in a fashion I don't personally agree with I shake my head and move on.

Bigfly

Reaction score
We now have a warden living nearby, and as a guide, we see each other regularly. I was sitting at an overlook on the river and noticed a guy fishing with a worm in a no bait area. Suggested to him that he may not have been around since they changed the regs. He said he got cited for fishing with bait once, it cost him $600. Then I told him about the warden.....
He asked if I was a cop? When I said no, he went back to fishing.
I then called the warden and he showed up about 5 min later. Another $600 cite (Barb & worm.) didn't seem to cause the fisher any grief...
Even with laws and law enforcement, humans mostly don't care.
Which leads me to caring a little less about people, and calling it in. But, they are messing with MY fishery, and I will not look away.
The warden liked it though........need those numbers.

Jim

Last edited:

flafly14

Reaction score
I think a lot of our problems are caused by good people not speaking up more. People practicing bad behavior absolutely need to be scolded. It's necessary for the preservation of the culture (and the fishery, etc). We all occasionally need scolding. It's life.

Example: The other day my boy was on the beach with his girlfriend. A man walks by with his dog (no dogs allowed on this beach BTW). Dog poops and the man doesn't do anything about it. My boy gets up and confronts him saying that this isn't acceptable, and how some kid is liable to step in it. The man got angry.....but, two days later he was out there again, and this time he had a bag with him to clean up after his dog. :thumbup:

It's just an example of how we do have influence on others (and how others influence us). Don't give up. Don't grow weary in making the world just a little bit better.

proheli

Reaction score
Read the situation and do what you can. It feels horrible to not do something when you think you should, especially if it is because of fear of emotional or physical repurcussions from the wrong doer, but this is also not the environmen to be putting your self in any danger. Any situation where you could be physcially threatened or harmed is a matter for the lawm and in our society, you are not allowed to handle these situation with arrests and force, so those situations are a matter for the law. Just report it. Put the ranger station on speed dial and take some photos. End of that. Moral, don't put your self at rist.

May people can be easily corrected.

Many people can be corrected, but you will deal with their initial mis-emotion, before they are happ you talked to them.

As said above, some people can't be corrected and some people are actually dangerous.

It up to the indiviidual to determine whom they are dealing with, but I do not think the world will truly end if you don't confront and handle dangerous people. There will be a better time to handle them.