Gloves

FISHN50

Reaction score
I have tried Ragg wool fingerless gloves, Fingerless mittens, mittens with the thumb & forefinger that you can remove & swing back & velcro out of your way. I' like to use one of those small chemical handwarmers on the back of my hands under the gloves & I've always had cold hands. I picked up a pair of Neopreme slit finger gloves at Bass Pro & wore them for the first time the other day. Aside from losing that contact with the rod & the spongy feel my hands were warm enough. I did have to take them off to re rig but my hands did warm up again quickly. I was wondering what everyone else uses...... Also aside from silicone spray what do you use on your guides to prevent iceing...

GRN

Reaction score
Loon makes a good paste that keeps ice from sticking... it maybe nothing more than pet. jelly as far as I know though...

I use Simms Windblock fleece gloves that are fingerless to the first knuckle. I keep my hand warmers in my pockets, they don't like getting wet! I have some neoprene full finger gloves, but I haven't used them much... they aren't as warm as the windblock fleece, and they are a pain to get off and on (they are snug).

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I also use the Simms Windblock fleece gloves that are fingerless to the first knuckle, great when its cold out. I cut the end off one of my fingers a few years back and it doesn't like to get cold.

Larry

dorian.ducker

Reaction score
OOOOHHH!!! I love this threa! I have been trying to muster up the courage to go fishing soon because I am jonesing big time, but I am a BIG wuss when it comes to cold. Here in SE Idaho it hasn't been getting above 30 very much. Soon as we get a day above freezing and I have time I am getting out.

I need a good pair of gloves also, so it is good to hear the suggestions and preferences.

As far as putting something in the guides to prevent freezing, I would be worried about it having some type of detrimental effect on my line in the long run. I don't have any info to back that up, just a thought.

GRN

Reaction score
I think the only detriment to the line, assuming your using something made specifically for this application, is that you'll want to clean it after every outing. I clean and condition mine before every sub freezing outing, helps the ice that forms on the line pop right off when it hits the tip. I use and sell the system from Angling Evolutions, the clamp on applicator is well designed, and the cleaner/conditioner works as well or better than everything else I have tried. I have used the Loon Ice Off Paste (applied thin with a Q-tip) for several years with no problems.

TL's~

pdq 5oh

Reaction score
I've been using a pair of fingerless gloves I got from Cabelas. They were in the fly fishing dept. As to ice, I just remove it as it builds up. Single foot guides are easier to get the ice off of.

Trucha

Reaction score
Fingerless rag wool gloves when it is cold. I try to keep them dry. Sun gloves when it is warm and sunny.

axle27

Reaction score
Don't know how well they would keep me warm, but I have a pair of fingerless gloves that are all man-made materials that I purchased for a kayaking trip a few years ago. They have a slightly padded palm and dry real quick.

I use the fingerless wool in my hunting mittens as a base layer when hunting, but I don't think I'd use them while fishing. Once they are wet, they stay wet and that's not good.

nearnuff

Reaction score
I have always had problems with cold hands. I acquired "Chainsaw Fingers" years ago when working in the woods so my hands get cold easy. I have used pretty well all of the different gloves and wool fingerless and hand warmers work for me.
I am looking at a Jacket from Rivers West the Mckenzie River Jacket with built in gloves. Anyone tried this product?

Jakeway

Reaction score
I HATE wearing gloves, and avoid them if at all possible. I haven't found I style I like yet. My hands sweat if they don't have air exposure, and the gloves get wet. I also want to have nothing between my fingers and the rod handle & line. If I try fleece or othe materials that wick moisture, they're usually too slippery to get a good grip on the rod.

Now, I seldom fly fish in sub-freezing weather, and I don't think I've ever fly fished in weather coder than 25 degrees. But I love fishing for Hickory Shad in the winter months, and it's sometimes cold enough for ice to form on the guides. But even then I have enough action in casting and stripping line to keep my hands moving and warm.

When ice fishing, I only wear gloves when the fish aren't biting. As soon as I get a bite and start reeling in a fish, I throw off my gloves to handle the fish, re-bait, etc. If the action is heavy, I may very seldon have gloves on.

I do plan to get some fingerless sun gloves soon, though.

axle27

Reaction score
I haven't had to use gloves in the past, but that doesn't mean I won't.

However, I think I read somewhere that is was the opinion of a few fisherman that handling a trout with gloves does more harm than good to the fish. Something about the gloves soaking up the slime on the bodies...

HuronRiverDan

Reaction score
I use ragg wool gloves when it's moderately cool, and the insulated version when it's cold. Even if I get them wet thay keep me fairly warm.

Dan

tetonshaggy

Reaction score
I must have about 6 pair of fingerless gloves. All of them are fleece. I have tried other materials but have not been pleased. I fish a lot in the winter on many different rivers in Montana and Idaho. My favorites are ones that have a windblocker in them. You must have the fingerless ones. I tried a pair by Cloudveil that have two full fingers and the rest open. The gloves are not made of a very good fleece for fishing. Windstopper gloves by Simms and Patagonia are the best. They keep you warm even when wet.

I also like to use two pair per day. At lunch I put on a fresh warm pair.

yatahey

Reaction score
What ever gloves you should decide on it is a good idea to wear a pair of polypropylene glove liners under the gloves.
They are very thin, wick moisture well, and you have great dexterity. On the down side. They wear out quickly. Buy many pairs.