One used diesel and a doctors note?

corn fed fins

Reaction score
This has been the worst summer. I can count my days on the water with just three fingers. I fished the BWO hatch in April, spent a day chasing Pike, and the third I just threw in there because there is at least one day I probably don't remember. Between my own chores, moving my sister's family near me, and my folks selling a second home in Texas, my summer is spent! Now it's crunch time and I still need to hike in and place game cameras up.

Now on the bright side. The waters have been off color most of the summer due to such a slow and late melt. My sister/bro in law/ nephew and niece are a ten minute drive from me. I will be building a summer home somewhere near me for my folks that I will use ALL winter (LOL) and the wet year will lead to some spectacular antler growth for big game season.

So after returning from Texas, for the third time this summer, I decided to take a day for myself; or so I thought. I went into the man cave and notice a spider had made a web across the fly tubes. That was just a slap in the face. So I found the little guy and moved it outside. Normally I would have just killed it but this eight legged creature spoke to me. Cleaning off the gear and looking through the dry fly boxes I get a phone call from the wife. She is broke down about 5 miles from home. When I get there she is in tears and immediately says "I don't want to hear a !@$%ing word from you!" WOW. So, me being me, I ask "What did the truck do?"
She replies. "What's the worst thing you think I could have done?"
My mind is racing. "Blew the turbo?"
"NO! I put !@#$ing GAS in the diesel!"

"WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Yep. I lost it. I think everyone within a mile of the highway heard me. Then I spent an hour apologizing for my unrestrained eruption. She felt bad enough.:(

So much for fishing. I get to go strip a my truck down and hope to GOD my injectors aren't trashed. Then I look as the bright side. A new diesel might just be what the doctor ordered. Silver, you know anyone that can write that prescription out for me? One used truck and fishing twice a week?

Lousy lousy summer. Oh well. I guess this year I will enjoy that back country elk hunt even more. What could possibly go wrong 8 miles in, 10,000' in elevation, and in the month of September? :confused:

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
Yowza. How does that even happen? The nozzles are different sizes (fortunately) as I discovered once as I tried to absent-mindedly full my tank with diesel instead of regular gasoline. After the third try of jamming the nozzle in, I looked and realized my brain fart. Sucks about the truck. And the fishing. And the lack of time away from chores. Hope things pick up for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dharkin

Reaction score
gas will fit into a diesel gas tank port but usually diesel won't fit into a gas car tank port. Seen it before. I really hope it works out for you.

JDR

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the incident. I am sure it is a mess. About a month ago a cut-rate station here accidentally filled their underground tank that was supposed unleaded regular with diesel fuel. Several cars filled up and drove off (but not too far) before it was discovered. You would think the odor would be tip-off.

Last edited:

myt1

Reaction score
Does this also mean if I'm looking for a little extra torque in my Toyota Tundra it might not be such a good idea to top off my tank with a little diesel?

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Does this also mean if I'm looking for a little extra torque in my Toyota Tundra it might not be such a good idea to top off my tank with a little diesel?
You'll like recover from that. The inverse can be real bad news. I've worked at least part-time as a mechanic for decades and have seen that trick before. I've seen people get by with it many times, but you can catastrophically melt down a diesel with gasoline in a hurry.

With today's tech I'm surprised there isn't a sensor to protect from this. Hope our summer gets better Fins.

corn fed fins

Reaction score
Update. The hardest part of the entire job was removing the bed. Apparently the torx bolts they factory install do not like being removed. The impact snapped one driver and I manually snapped another. Ended up doing what everyone else does and grinding the heads off, removing the bed, cutting the remaining stud off, and buying new bolts. Lmao. Pumped out 30 gallons of gas from the tank (anyone want some lawn mower gas? :)) Replaced the filters, added lubricant and diesel into top filter so it immediately got lube to the injectors, and added 5 gal to tank with more lube. Went through priming sequence. Started the truck, slight shimmy for 5 seconds then a smooth sounding engine! Tomorrow, when I put the bed back on, I'll take it for a spin to fill up WITH DIESEL. Then load up the horses and take them for a spin and see how she pulls. If she breaks down, I'll ride a horse home. Lol. If all is good, I'm going fishing for a week straight. I think I have a kitchen pass for the rest of the year!

By the way, a diesel nozzle will not fit in a gas receiver but a gas nozzle will sure as hell fit into the diesel. And the crappy thing is that diesel in a gas engine does not do the damage that gas does to a diesel. You would think by now a diesel nozzle would be a triangle shape. Lol.

Now for an IPA and tying some caddis dries. I've EARNED it. Lol

CFF

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

cooutlaw

Reaction score
Update. The hardest part of the entire job was removing the bed. Apparently the torx bolts they factory install do not like being removed. The impact snapped one driver and I manually snapped another. Ended up doing what everyone else does and grinding the heads off, removing the bed, cutting the remaining stud off, and buying new bolts. Lmao. Pumped out 30 gallons of gas from the tank (anyone want some lawn mower gas? :)) Replaced the filters, added lubricant and diesel into top filter so it immediately got lube to the injectors, and added 5 gal to tank with more lube. Went through priming sequence. Started the truck, slight shimmy for 5 seconds then a smooth sounding engine! Tomorrow, when I put the bed back on, I'll take it for a spin to fill up WITH DIESEL. Then load up the horses and take them for a spin and see how she pulls. If she breaks down, I'll ride a horse home. Lol. If all is good, I'm going fishing for a week straight. I think I have a kitchen pass for the rest of the year!

By the way, a diesel nozzle will not fit in a gas receiver but a gas nozzle will sure as hell fit into the diesel. And the crappy thing is that diesel in a gas engine does not do the damage that gas does to a diesel. You would think by now a diesel nozzle would be a triangle shape. Lol.

Now for an IPA and tying some caddis dries. I've EARNED it. Lol

CFF

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
Fingers crossed for you! Remember to drain and refill the oil and change the oil filter for any fuel (gasoline) residue that drained into the cylinders and down into the sump on injection so the rings don't score the cylinder walls or knock the cross hatch pattern down smooth and polish the rings and the valves don't hammer on the seats or oblong the guides with secondary combustion...a short drive won't hurt anything but a diesel running 25-35 to 1 compression in the cylinders is not very friendly to components with gas diluting the oil. A good test to know how much gas residue remained in the oil is to pull the dipstick and try to light the oil on the stick at measurement...if it lights readily you have gas in the oil.....I'd still change it out either way.....$60-70 worth of oil and filter is a lot cheaper than a $10K diesel engine. Positive note.....if nothing is scored or polished past seating...you will have some very clean cylinders.

dennyk

Reaction score
Glad it worked out. Now all you have to do is apologize to your wife a couple times a week for the rest of your natural life and you can put this whole thing behind you. :)
No big deal, if she's anything like my better half she'll forget about it in 30 to 40 years! :)

Glad it worked out as well!

Denny

jdwy

Reaction score
Could have been worse, I knew a woman who did that during their yearly honey bee transport up around Ennis, Montana and their home base is in Redding, CA. Hope you didn't do any damage that shows up in the future. Years ago I fueled up my diesel at a small truck stop in Lander, WY and the fuel smelled a lot like it had some gasoline in it. After arguing with the station owner, to be on the safe side, I added a quart or two of engine oil to the fuel tank to lube the fuel system just in case. Sure enough, about a year later I had to pull my injection pump, take it in and have it overhauled.

corn fed fins

Reaction score
Fingers crossed for you! Remember to drain and refill the oil and change the oil filter for any fuel (gasoline) residue that drained into the cylinders and down into the sump on injection so the rings don't score the cylinder walls or knock the cross hatch pattern down smooth and polish the rings and the valves don't hammer on the seats or oblong the guides with secondary combustion...a short drive won't hurt anything but a diesel running 25-35 to 1 compression in the cylinders is not very friendly to components with gas diluting the oil. A good test to know how much gas residue remained in the oil is to pull the dipstick and try to light the oil on the stick at measurement...if it lights readily you have gas in the oil.....I'd still change it out either way.....$60-70 worth of oil and filter is a lot cheaper than a $10K diesel engine. Positive note.....if nothing is scored or polished past seating...you will have some very clean cylinders.
Didn't even think of any cross over and you are right about being safe. Oil is next despite the lighter test. It's worth the C note and it's due in 1500 anyway.

By the way fellow stick wavers, it was my wife that filled it with gas. NOT ME. I never do brainless acts. My wife says that as well, just with a bit of sarcasm in her tone. LOL