Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  17
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Come on People

Blog Entries

Default Re: Come on People

I've seen a lot over the years. Just last week I myself handled a male silver salmon without using the net that was nearby in the boat but there was good reason. The fishing slow - the water low - water warm - the fish stressed and few..... and right below us 3 meat hunters who were watching myself and another forum member like gulls especially when they realized I was hooked into a salmon.

Rather than make a production of landing this fish I opted for the "make it look like I've caught a Chum" show and so brought it into about 3 inches of water - removed hook and then gently nudged it into deeper water. The meat men down stream had pulled in below us and were already encroaching so I went without the net. Generally I net everything.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

2. Likes mcnerney liked this post

One of the significant challenges of a long rod guy with a big fish if you don't have a net man. I've never not had a net man in these situations. A quick landing and careful release without forcing him into the shallows? I'll let others with more experience expand on that technique.

4. Likes mcnerney, strmanglr scott liked this post

And then there are the kind things we do for fish. Search "salmon cannon"!

6. Likes ia_trouter, mcnerney liked this post

I think "ignorance" is the root cause here.

8. Thanks driftless22 thanked for this post
    Likes mcnerney, ia_trouter liked this post

I am going to play the devil's advocate here and ask:
    which causes more stress:
    1) releasing a netted fish after a 10 minute fight with 6X or 7X leader
    2)quick shallow water release after a 1 minute fight with 2X or 3X leader

10. Likes littledavid123 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by okaloosa View Post
    I am going to play the devil's advocate here and ask:
    which causes more stress:
    1) releasing a netted fish after a 10 minute fight with 6X or 7X leader
    2)quick shallow water release after a 1 minute fight with 2X or 3X leader
    This is a salmon thread so I've never witnessed a 6-7X leader in actual use, but of course a quick landing is always desirable.

Quote Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
    This is a salmon thread so I've never witnessed a 6-7X leader in actual use, but of course a quick landing is always desirable.
    You are correct, but I was just wondering how people would answer my question. I suspect that the #1 stress factor is prolonged fights probably secondary to light leaders.
    I do think there is a legitimate way
    to land a fish in the shallows without a net especially if heavier leaders are used but I agree that many people do not respect the fish and manhandle them.

One of the significant challenges of a long rod guy with a big fish if you don't have a net man. I've never not had a net man in these situations. A quick landing and careful release without forcing him into the shallows? I'll let others with more experience expand on that technique.
    I remember the first time I hooked a king w my fly rod and no net man.

Whew, that was a battle. Had that fish close to me several times, go for the net and he'd swim down into a hole and get revived, then I'd get him close again and off he went into the hole. Did that routine about 3 or 4 times before I finally got him in the net.

I've gotten better landing fish on my own thankfully.

14. Likes ia_trouter liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by strmanglr scott View Post
    I remember the first time I hooked a king w my fly rod and no net man.

Whew, that was a battle. Had that fish close to me several times, go for the net and he'd swim down into a hole and get revived, then I'd get him close again and off he went into the hole. Did that routine about 3 or 4 times before I finally got him in the net.

I've gotten better landing fish on my own thankfully.
    I've only caught two 20# class salmon and Ard was the net man for both of them. He's not afraid to wade of course so they were not drug up on the rocks. One of them is my forum avatar. I have no idea how I could have accomplished that on a long rod without either beating them into submission with a too long fight, or dragging them onto the rocks. Heck, landing a 3# bass on a long rod quickly is fairly challenging.

I've only caught two 20# class salmon and Ard was the net man for both of them. He's not afraid to wade of course so they were not drug up on the rocks. One of them is my forum avatar. I have no idea how I could have accomplished that on a long rod without either beating them into submission with a too long fight, or dragging them onto the rocks. Heck, landing a 3# bass on a long rod quickly is fairly challenging.
    That really was the motivation for my question....personally I find that I extend the fight a lot longer trying to net a fish, especially in fast water, than gently pulling back onto the shore. Anyhow, the answer is probably getting a longer handle net and finding some convenient way of carrying it.....

17. Likes ia_trouter liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12