Come on People

roadglideguy

Reaction score
I was fishing this morning for Pinks... the river Gods smiled favorably on me! Unfortunatley though I have to bring something up that was really upsetting! What is it with people who drag fish up on the shore and do not use nets? WTF is wrong with people? It beats the hell out of the fish. I actually had someone say to me "oh it's just a pink"...I would like to see a law passed where people have to use nets to land their fish! My other pet peeve while I think of it is if you want to take your picture with the fish then you should hold your breath for the same length of time...

flytie09

Reaction score
I'm with you. You tend to see alot of mishandling techniques of fish while out fishing for Salmonids. There's just something that brings out man's primordial instincts when a big fish is involved. I agree.... using a net definitely makes for a speedy landing and release. When fishing with others......I use one. But it is not the only safe way.

I fish alone a lot of times. I find using a net to be extremely difficult. There are techniques you can use to isolate the fish, remove the hook and allow the fish to condition itself and release it without harm. I keep the fish in the water away from rocks and definitely don't drag it up on shore. Grasping the tail firmly allows you to control the fish and aids in the release.

YouTube

Landing Fish Without a Net | Tips for Tailing Fish

As far as pictures go....I don't fault anyone that wants to take a picture to remember a great fish. We've all done it. But there are responsible ways to do so. I would just say that one should try to be quick about it and release the fish within 5-10 seconds. When I'm by myself.....pictures are just so difficult to get...so I simply opt to not do so.

I'll never forget a couple years ago when a group of anglers across river from me in a catch and release area, that landed an amazing brown trout. This man took the fish up on the shore, removed the hook, picked it up to pose, dropped it on the rocks twice, had it out of the water for a good 2 minutes while his buddy took pictures with multiple cameras and even handed it off to the other. They did try to revive the fish and did release it...but as they proceeded to walk away it was unresponsive. A young man that was with this group watched the fish for 5 minutes floating belly up in the shallows. A heck of a way to show the future of the sport how to be a sportsman. It was a sad display all around.

Last edited:

luj333

Reaction score
Definitely painful to watch. I'm guilty of beaching warm water species (primarily carp, but never all the way up on dry land), but always carry a net for cold water species.

dillon

Reaction score
Salmon fishing seems to bring out some of the worst. This the reason I don't fish for them in the rivers anymore and even if I'm fishing steelhead I stay away from other anglers.

Were they fly fishing and were they keeping or releasing?

Last edited:

rfb700

Reaction score
Southeastern Ontario, Canada (armpit of the trout
I think the split between people who care about the resource and those who dont is about 60/40 in favor of those who dont and thats being generous. You can try and educate them but that often doesnt end well. most times you have to grin and bare it or move on.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

runningfish

Reaction score
There were plenty of videos of guys holding a trout or any fish with a towel and said "now we are going to release it unharmed". And I know 1 guy in Indiana who does that.

Acheron

Reaction score
I always have a net because it's easier (on the angler and fish) to land a fish with one than without. That is not an opinion. Be responsible, bring the right tools for the right job.

The C&R, CPR, etc. debate is different altogether. We've all seen excellent examples as well as the worst ones too.

taylorreels

Reaction score
My understanding of fishing in the PNW is that there a bit of a stigma against nets... I had a guided trip a couple years ago and when I went to get in the drift boat my guide told me to leave my net in the car... I have been fishing in Oregon several times and the anti-net thing seems to be real.

On a side note I love that fly fishing in general has a culture of value towards our resources, rivers, and fish. Catch-and-release, keep-em-wet, and protecting our resources are all apart of fly fishing culture.

silver creek

Reaction score
Salmon's Revenge

Shortly after I moved to Wisconsin in the late '70s and before I started fly fishing, I thought that I would see what snagging salmon was all about. Snagging was legal at that time and a popular river was the Kewaunee just north of Two Rivers, Wisconsin.

I drove without rod or reel to the Kewaunee one Saturday, to a popular spot. The banks were line were lined with snaggers (they certainly weren't fishermen) throwing large treble hooks with a center core or lead for weight. The line was about 50 lb. mono on a large spinning reel and with a short stiff rod.

One particular fellow was a caricature of the prototypical snagger, and he was bragging about how many salmon he had snagged. After finishing a beer he proceeded to toss his line in the river and was shortly on to a large salmon. He loudly announced the best way to land a snagged salmon was to tighten the drag down all the way and to back away from the river instead of "fighting" the salmon in the usual way.

He proceeded to back away from the river in a tug of war with the salmon. The 50 lb. mono was as tight as piano wire and stretched to the limit when the hook came loose from the salmon. He had about 50 feet of line out and the 1 oz hook came back like a guided missile and hit him in the shin with the sound of a baseball bat hitting a telephone pole. He went down like he had been shot, and in a manner of speaking, I guess he had been. He had to be taken to the hospital, and I suspect that he suffered a fractured tibia.

So I guess what goes around comes around. It was the one and only time I ever went to a river during the snagging season, which fortunately been outlawed in Wisconsin. But whenever I think of snagging, I can see that 1 oz of lead flying through the air and I hear the whack of metal on bone, and I just smile at the Salmon's Revenge!

luj333

Reaction score
Salmon's Revenge

Shortly after I moved to Wisconsin in the late '70s and before I started fly fishing, I thought that I would see what snagging salmon was all about. Snagging was legal at that time and a popular river was the Kewaunee just north of Two Rivers, Wisconsin.

I drove without rod or reel to the Kewaunee one Saturday, to a popular spot. The banks were line were lined with snaggers (they certainly weren't fishermen) throwing large treble hooks with a center core or lead for weight. The line was about 50 lb. mono on a large spinning reel and with a short stiff rod.

One particular fellow was a caricature of the prototypical snagger, and he was bragging about how many salmon he had snagged. After finishing a beer he proceeded to toss his line in the river and was shortly on to a large salmon. He loudly announced the best way to land a snagged salmon was to tighten the drag down all the way and to back away from the river instead of "fighting" the salmon in the usual way.

He proceeded to back away from the river in a tug of war with the salmon. The 50 lb. mono was as tight as piano wire and stretched to the limit when the hook came loose from the salmon. He had about 50 feet of line out and the 1 oz hook came back like a guided missile and hit him in the shin with the sound of a baseball bat hitting a telephone pole. He went down like he had been shot, and in a manner of speaking, I guess he had been. He had to be taken to the hospital, and I suspect that he suffered a fractured tibia.

So I guess what goes around comes around. It was the one and only time I ever went to a river during the snagging season, which fortunately been outlawed in Wisconsin. But whenever I think of snagging, I can see that 1 oz of lead flying through the air and I hear the whack of metal on bone, and I just smile at the Salmon's Revenge!
That is an amazing story

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I've seen a lot over the years. Just last week I myself handled a male silver salmon without using the net that was nearby in the boat but there was good reason. The fishing slow - the water low - water warm - the fish stressed and few..... and right below us 3 meat hunters who were watching myself and another forum member like gulls especially when they realized I was hooked into a salmon.

Rather than make a production of landing this fish I opted for the "make it look like I've caught a Chum" show and so brought it into about 3 inches of water - removed hook and then gently nudged it into deeper water. The meat men down stream had pulled in below us and were already encroaching so I went without the net. Generally I net everything.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
One of the significant challenges of a long rod guy with a big fish if you don't have a net man. I've never not had a net man in these situations. A quick landing and careful release without forcing him into the shallows? I'll let others with more experience expand on that technique.

okaloosa

Reaction score
I am going to play the devil's advocate here and ask:
which causes more stress:
1) releasing a netted fish after a 10 minute fight with 6X or 7X leader
2)quick shallow water release after a 1 minute fight with 2X or 3X leader

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I am going to play the devil's advocate here and ask:
which causes more stress:
1) releasing a netted fish after a 10 minute fight with 6X or 7X leader
2)quick shallow water release after a 1 minute fight with 2X or 3X leader
This is a salmon thread so I've never witnessed a 6-7X leader in actual use, but of course a quick landing is always desirable.

okaloosa

Reaction score
This is a salmon thread so I've never witnessed a 6-7X leader in actual use, but of course a quick landing is always desirable.
You are correct, but I was just wondering how people would answer my question. I suspect that the #1 stress factor is prolonged fights probably secondary to light leaders.
I do think there is a legitimate way
to land a fish in the shallows without a net especially if heavier leaders are used but I agree that many people do not respect the fish and manhandle them.

strmanglr scott

Reaction score
One of the significant challenges of a long rod guy with a big fish if you don't have a net man. I've never not had a net man in these situations. A quick landing and careful release without forcing him into the shallows? I'll let others with more experience expand on that technique.
I remember the first time I hooked a king w my fly rod and no net man.

Whew, that was a battle. Had that fish close to me several times, go for the net and he'd swim down into a hole and get revived, then I'd get him close again and off he went into the hole. Did that routine about 3 or 4 times before I finally got him in the net.

I've gotten better landing fish on my own thankfully.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I remember the first time I hooked a king w my fly rod and no net man.

Whew, that was a battle. Had that fish close to me several times, go for the net and he'd swim down into a hole and get revived, then I'd get him close again and off he went into the hole. Did that routine about 3 or 4 times before I finally got him in the net.

I've gotten better landing fish on my own thankfully.
I've only caught two 20# class salmon and Ard was the net man for both of them. He's not afraid to wade of course so they were not drug up on the rocks. One of them is my forum avatar. I have no idea how I could have accomplished that on a long rod without either beating them into submission with a too long fight, or dragging them onto the rocks. Heck, landing a 3# bass on a long rod quickly is fairly challenging. :)

okaloosa

Reaction score
I've only caught two 20# class salmon and Ard was the net man for both of them. He's not afraid to wade of course so they were not drug up on the rocks. One of them is my forum avatar. I have no idea how I could have accomplished that on a long rod without either beating them into submission with a too long fight, or dragging them onto the rocks. Heck, landing a 3# bass on a long rod quickly is fairly challenging. :)
That really was the motivation for my question....personally I find that I extend the fight a lot longer trying to net a fish, especially in fast water, than gently pulling back onto the shore. Anyhow, the answer is probably getting a longer handle net and finding some convenient way of carrying it.....