Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  41
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Retiring near the Rockies

And what about the crime rate or natural disaster in NM or in any of those states?
    I don't always catch fish; but when I do I scream like a little girl.

Blog Entries

Santa Fe Crime Statistics: New Mexico (NM) - CityRating.com

Before I looked at the stats, my impression of Santa Fe and most of Northern NM was that property crime was pretty high and violent crime not so much. That’s about what the numbers are saying. My folks had their Jeep Rubicon stolen from a supposedly secure parking lot in Albuquerque and that’s the extent of crime they have experienced there.

I don’t think that area has any big disaster natural threats. Outside the tornado belt. Too far south and west for frequent massive blizzards. Always tends to be on the dry side. Mountain in season snows and summer monsoonal flow showers supply the most of the moisture. Not on any known or active fault zones.

Los Alamos National Laboratory is nearby and they work on all kinds of fun stuff including nukes, but none ever seem to go off without intent. The Demon Core, the barely subcritical machined mass of plutonium killed a few people in Los Alamos back in the 1940s, but that material got used up on some bomb decades ago and they seemed to be more professional about handling highly radioactive material these days.

There’s a neat museum in Los Alamos, all about the development of the Bomb.
    Wherever you go, there you are.

3. Likes runningfish liked this post

Whoever laid out their road system should be flogged- it's a mess.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Karstopo's on the money. I'll add some stuff.

I retired from Los Alamos just over two years ago. No nukes up there, but they do work with fissile material. Safety is a big deal but things do happen. Case in point is a relatively recent situation in which criticality could have happened due to too much material in proximity. That shut TA-55, which is the place handling most of that stuff, down for quite a while. There is contamination around Los Alamos and they're trying to clean it up. Slowly.

I live just outside of Santa Fe. I like it here. Quiet, but close to good restaurants and generally good shopping. It doesn't have a Costco and should, but Walmart seems to not want that to happen for some reason. Housing isn't very affordable. We were lucky to get into our house 20 years ago when prices were lower.

There have been minor tornadoes around here, including one I remember happening in Albuquerque proper. Very rare, but they do happen. Worst snow in 20 years was a 30 incher over Christmas one year. Over 12 inches in a storm is rare. Right now, we're in thunderstorm season and the biggest hazard is lightning, especially in the mountains.

Rivers of note are the San Juan (4 hours away), Conejos (3 hours), Pecos (less than an hour), those in the Jemez and Valles Caldera (1.5 to 2.5 hours), northern Rio Grande (2 hours) and some other minor streams. I hit the San Juan at least 4 times a year. It's pretty good.

And yeah, the roads suck. Santa Fe, though, has 400 years of history (horse paths, generally) to thank for its present road layout.

6. Likes osseous, mcnerney, runningfish liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by osseous View Post
    Whoever laid out their road system should be flogged- it's a mess.

Keeps the furriners out.

8. Likes lacanadio liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by el jefe View Post
    Keeps the furriners out.
    Depends on your definition, I suppose~ Retiring near the Rockies

10. Likes MarsB liked this post

+1 on Santa Fe.....the smell of piņon never gets old...

12. Likes el jefe, karstopo, runningfish liked this post

Small world, most everyone I know has been there, and some are from there, and they say word for word what cooutlaw posted about Colorado. Referring to his first post, that is. And if I may say a word to the wise, never chose to move to a nice small town that's along an interstate. It never stays that way, been there, done that and have seen it in other areas.

14. Likes runningfish liked this post

Thank you guys for the feedback, I sent the link to this thread and let him read it with a note to ignore the fishing part. I am going to leave the thread open for everyone.
    I don't always catch fish; but when I do I scream like a little girl.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123