Retiring near the Rockies

runningfish

Reaction score
OK, it's not for me ... yet.

My father in law is planning to retire in 2-3 years and he is looking for a state with the Rocky Mountain with good medical center or hospital etc. He is not a fisherman, but I am.. wink wink.

I've been to MT, ID, WY, CO never been to NM and don't know about the actual living costs, housing or health care, etc in those states. So if you guys have any inputs about those states i'd appreciate it.

We might be planning to move closer to him to take care of him.

Last edited:

el jefe

Reaction score
Are you looking to live very close to a river, or a short drive from one? And a short drive out here, as you know, means something different that it does to the folks in the Midwest and East.

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
I’m retired in Laramie, WY and have lived here since 2001. Before that in Southeast Idaho (Pocatello and Blackfoot) and tons of other places before that working for newspapers all over the country.

We looked at various options when I retired in 2012 so I can give you some pros and cons. Remember some of this is pure personal opinion.

Wyoming: No state income tax and relatively low property tax. That may be changing as coal and energy revenues that have been paying the bills is on a downward trend.

Very few people and lots of open spaces. Conservative politically and has weird trespass laws for fishing that are a pain in the butt.

Medical care can be spotty except in several cities. Winters can be long and relatively nasty, but the summers are wonderful. Winter starts in mid October and can run till mid-May.

Wind.

Cost of living not too bad, but housing in some areas is surprisingly high.

Idaho: More people. Very inexpensive real estate (in the Southeast anyway). Milder winters. Probably more fishing availability than Wyoming without packing in or having a drift boat.

Taxes relatively affordable. Much milder climate overall.

Colorado: Many more people so more competition for recreational opportunities. Easy access to mountains and many, many streams. Probably smaller fish than either Wyoming or Idaho.

Depending on location, state of the art medical and health care. Higher taxes. Housing, particularly in Denver area has had big cost jumps in recent years.

But easy access to metro attractions including pro baseball and other sports if that is important.

We eliminated Colorado as an option because my wife hates hot weather and summers can be really warm down there. Makes for mostly mild winters though.

Utah: Has some of the people pressure of Coloradoand is even warmer during the summers. Some really beautiful areas, but we found no reason to go there when we lived in Idaho except for the airport and shopping.

Montana: Lots of good places and wonderful fishing, but we never really considered it only because of the winters and because we really had no idea where we would choose to be. The places I would want for fishing would not appeal to my wife.

Our decision to stay in Laramie to retire was probably as much due to friends, knowledge of the town, and all of the other things that tie you to a location over the years.

Laramie, Cody, Lander or Sheridan would be my choices of places to live in Wyoming. Laramie is a college town so that makes a difference for us.

In Colorado I would probably choose Fort Collins even though it has grown quite a bit in recent years. Or maybe Grand Junction area on the west slope of the Rockies.

Idaho I would go back to Pocatello in a shot, or Idaho Falls or even Rexburg.

Hope some of this is of help, but there are pluses and minuses to every area and you will hear many of them here.

Best wishes,

Don

runningfish

Reaction score
Are you looking to live very close to a river, or a short drive from one? And a short drive out here, as you know, means something different that it does to the folks in the Midwest and East.
El Jefe, I would love to, but it is up to my father in law. I'd say he would probably like the idea of a 75/25 suburban/outdoor life. He'll probably just taking his morning and afternoon walks as I can't really imagine him learning to fish.

What's your take about NM? my neighbor is also thinking about moving there once he retires.

runningfish

Reaction score
I’m retired in Laramie, WY and have lived here since 2001. Before that in Southeast Idaho (Pocatello and Blackfoot) and tons of other places before that working for newspapers all over the country.

We looked at various options when I retired in 2012 so I can give you some pros and cons. Remember some of this is pure personal opinion.

Wyoming: No state income tax and relatively low property tax. That may be changing as coal and energy revenues that have been paying the bills is on a downward trend.

Very few people and lots of open spaces. Conservative politically and has weird trespass laws for fishing that are a pain in the butt.

Medical care can be spotty except in several cities. Winters can be long and relatively nasty, but the summers are wonderful. Winter starts in mid October and can run till mid-May.

Wind.

Cost of living not too bad, but housing in some areas is surprisingly high.

Idaho: More people. Very inexpensive real estate (in the Southeast anyway). Milder winters. Probably more fishing availability than Wyoming without packing in or having a drift boat.

Taxes relatively affordable. Much milder climate overall.

Colorado: Many more people so more competition for recreational opportunities. Easy access to mountains and many, many streams. Probably smaller fish than either Wyoming or Idaho.

Depending on location, state of the art medical and health care. Higher taxes. Housing, particularly in Denver area has had big cost jumps in recent years.

But easy access to metro attractions including pro baseball and other sports if that is important.

We eliminated Colorado as an option because my wife hates hot weather and summers can be really warm down there. Makes for mostly mild winters though.

Utah: Has some of the people pressure of Coloradoand is even warmer during the summers. Some really beautiful areas, but we found no reason to go there when we lived in Idaho except for the airport and shopping.

Montana: Lots of good places and wonderful fishing, but we never really considered it only because of the winters and because we really had no idea where we would choose to be. The places I would want for fishing would not appeal to my wife.

Our decision to stay in Laramie to retire was probably as much due to friends, knowledge of the town, and all of the other things that tie you to a location over the years.

Laramie, Cody, Lander or Sheridan would be my choices of places to live in Wyoming. Laramie is a college town so that makes a difference for us.

In Colorado I would probably choose Fort Collins even though it has grown quite a bit in recent years. Or maybe Grand Junction area on the west slope of the Rockies.

Idaho I would go back to Pocatello in a shot, or Idaho Falls or even Rexburg.

Hope some of this is of help, but there are pluses and minuses to every area and you will hear many of them here.

Best wishes,

Don
Thank you Don for the detail insights, I'll print this out and give it to my wife.

I passed Pocatello and Idaho Falls on Interstate 15 North and South bounds on my cross country trip with my dad from Los Angeles, CA to Calgary, AB a few years back. My dad liked the area but he said that he'd pick Salt Lake City, UT to live in.

Back to my father in law, he used to live in Germany so he is no stranger to winter but I'd say he'll take warmer winter for sure. He eliminated Florida and California because of the humidity, heat and the cost of living (California). He once planned to retire in Buffalo, NY so he can see the Niagara Falls everyday. LOL.

I'll probably need to make a special trip for him to those States and let him experience them by himself.

If I were to choose I'll take Salt Lake City, UT.

el jefe

Reaction score
El Jefe, I would love to, but it is up to my father in law. I'd say he would probably like the idea of a 75/25 suburban/outdoor life. He'll probably just taking his morning and afternoon walks as I can't really imagine him learning to fish.

What's your take about NM? my neighbor is also thinking about moving there once he retires.
I am a big fan of NM. The place I have in mind is Farmington, in the Four Corners area. It is a short drive to the San Juan from there (year round fishing), but you can also access a lot of southern CO from there, too. Farmington is a pretty decent sized town with decent medical care, a lot of services, and mild climate. It has an airport, albeit small. Within a few hours drive or less are Durango, Pagosa Springs, and Telluride. Albuquerque is 3 hours away if you need big city stuff. If you are into golf, Farmington has Pinon Hills, a well-known and highly regarded golf course for a very reasonable fee. Property values are not too high compared to some other places (cheaper than Durango). Rivers within a decent distance are the San Juan below the dam, and above it (around Pagosa Springs), Animas, Dolores, San Miguel. Over Wolf Creek Pass lies the Rio Grande drainage.

Another area to consider is Montrose, CO, which is similarly sized to Farmington. I don't know about property values or taxes there, but Montrose has a lot of similar characteristics to Farmington. There you have the Uncompahgre, and easier access to the Dolores, San Miguel, and Gunnison. A little further east over Monarch Pass lies the Arkansas drainage.

runningfish

Reaction score
El Jefe, the name of those places sound so familiar but yet I have no clue about them.

How is it climate wise? mild winter and summer?

cooutlaw

Reaction score
I'll be the devils advocate here and try and steer you away from Colorado - I have lived in Colorado since 1985, before that was AZ, and then MT, after growing up a nomad military brat. As I near retirement I have one thing on my mind....to find a place other than Colorado to retire. Why? It has changed dramatically over the years, it's very crowded now....almost everywhere except for small outlying areas. It's become basically California's twin for general cost of living and particularly housing costs.....in the metro Denver area the current "entry" home- 1200 sq ft or so, postage stamp lot, maybe a garage, maybe needing updating, is $560K....1-2 bedroom condo's are $350-400K ish....a nice 2000-2500 sq ft home in a decent area is $650K-$1M (plus $6-12K a year property taxes depending on tax districts).....I see it every day my wife is in real estate. Property taxes are still rising too, almost all areas now have HOA's and covenants that add $150-$400 a month in fees, water bills are high (can be $300 mo in high demand areas), electricity and gas is high (averages $340 mo statewide), car insurance is insanely high (we have the second highest hail storm claim rates in the USA- Think $4-7K a year two cars good driving records)....further, honestly, even the weather even seems to have gone downhill in the last 10 years....colder winters and lots more snow (Denver now averages 77"s annually, short summers, tons of rain and hail- Denver now averages 20"s annual precip. from rain). Crime has risen dramatically- up 62% in 5 years, homeless population too, getting any services- plumbing, construction, landscaping, concrete, electrical, automotive, exterior painting, you will pay through the nose and wait in line to get them. It has almost become cost prohibitive to live here, I used to laugh at CA because in Orange County if you had a family of 4 and your annual income was less than $100K you qualified for food stamps, Colorado is not much different than that now.....you better make $150-200K if you want to break even, pay your bills and eat out once or twice a month. Even health insurance (although bad everywhere) is crazy high here and in the mountain areas, by provider numbers, it's 30% higher than Denver Metro and for a basic Blue Cross, nothing special health insurance plan with $12K annual deductible and average co-pays it's $1,600 a month for a family of 3 in Denver area. They say currently that for someone to retire here in CO, they need to be debt free, home paid for, and to make ends meet, pay utilities, cell phone, groceries, health care, property taxes, homeowners insurance, car insurance, vehicle maintenance, the basics, a couple needs to have an annual retirement income of $85K to survive. I doubt very seriously that over the next 5-10-15-20 years that many folks will retire in Colorado except for the elite. Just a fair warning from a guy punching the numbers for the last few years and trying to figure it out himself.

Last edited:

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
If your preferences run toward Salt Lake City then you are more attracted to big cities than I am. Of the bigger cities in the area I would probably prefer Denver or even Santa Fe over Salt Lake, but both of those choices are pretty spendy (as Cooutlaw has described above much better than I could.)

You might take a hard look at Boise. Mountains all around and a really cool town that is still pretty darn livable. Another possiblilty would be Cheyenne. It is only 50 miles from Laramie but about 1500 feet lower in altitude so generally much milder weather. Has all of the tax advantages of Wyoming, but less than an hour from Fort Collins, CO for recreation, shopping and such.

Personally I would find either Cheyenne or Boise a lot more interesting as a place to live than Salt Lake. If I really wanted a big city then I would bite the bullet and consider Denver.

You really need to research some of these cities and get your FIL out to take a look.

Good luck,

Don

dtaylo1066

Reaction score
Your tolerance for winter (or lack thereof) should be a major consideration. NM the warmest, but also the fewest quality fishing rivers. Colorado next most mild, lots of rivers, but many areas getting crowded. You want mountain or valley location and how close to decent Hospital? Wyoming cheapest and fewest folks, but damn nippy in the winter and cold. Laramie person above can testify to that. 2 hours from Denver but a hole world of difference in climate. Montana east of the continental divide you can plan on a brisk winter. Missoula and Kalispell less cold, but Missoula not the banana belt some say. Denver area has great hospitals. Missoula college town and major area hospital. Lots of great local water. Same for Bozeman, but a bit more chilly there in Winter, and also college town. Gateway to Yellowstone. Billings more of a plains town and can be cold and windy and far less local fishing variety. Missoula and Boze you have it at the back door. All Wyoming towns pretty small. Long winter. Colorado you can look at Montrose area, but like the rest of the state it is growing. Good access to lots of nice places. Denver big city now. Lots of amenities, but lots of traffic and congestion, and nearby rivers can get mobbed. Utah pretty arid but some good water around SLC/Ogden. Winter inversions along the Wasatch Front can really suck. If you like to ski, no better place than Utah. Major questions: How much you want to spend on a home? How close to you want to be to decent or excellent fishing? How much you mind shoveling or dealing with snow? Do you have 4-wheel drive vehicle? How much of a yard/property do you need? As indicated above, Boise a great town with lots of local fishing, and much of Idaho to fish and not crowded.

MarsB

Reaction score
Boise by all accounts is already headed towards being the next Denver. Housing prices have skyrocketed in the past few years as California folks have moved there and driven property values up and the infrastructure is straining from the influx of population increase. I had been looking at the area 10 years ago, and realized I missed the window.
As Boise booms, a city faces the curse of ‘Californication’ - Curbed
'The pace of growth is too fast.' Boise State survey sheds light on SW Idaho concerns - BoiseDev
Report: Boise's economy faces challenges in years to come - BoiseDev

Unfortunately, this is the tune of most cities in the west. A quick google search will show similar problems facing Missoula, Bozeman, Ft. Collins, and everywhere else I wanted to live... :)

I'd look to places that haven't blown up yet like Cheyenne, Helena, Idaho Falls, Pocatello, etc.

runningfish

Reaction score
Thank you guys with the inputs, recommendation and suggestion. Some went above and beyond with the number which my Father in law (FIL) can totally relate to.

The FIL is definitely not interested in fishing as he isn't really outdoorsy but he does enjoy trips to national parks. And although he is looking for a quite retirement city, he might want to stay a bit closer to the suburban areas.

I'll let my wife to read the postings and let her consult him....they speak the same language. :D

Lonnie Utah

Reaction score
If I were to choose I'll take Salt Lake City, UT.
FWIW, along the Wasatch front, the housing market here is out of control right now. In one of the smaller outlying communities along the Wasatch Back it's not as bad.

With the University of Utah Medical centers along with Inter-mountain Healthcare, The health care system here is very good for the amount of population base it serves.

cooutlaw

Reaction score
Spokane?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Meth? Crime? Suicide rate? Poverty/Homeless? wannabe Gangs? White Supremacist arien nation compounds vs Woodstock stoner refugees ? Children of the corn? Scene from Deliverance? MAYBE outlying areas or east into Coeur d' alene....or southeast into Western Montana....but Spokane "proper" is "sketchy" and that's being very kind.

Last edited:

osseous

Reaction score
Meth? Crime? Suicide rate? Poverty/Homeless? wannabe Gangs? White Supremacist arien nation compounds vs Woodstock stoner refugees ? Children of the corn? Scene from Deliverance? MAYBE outlying areas or east into Coeur d' alene....or southwest into Western Montana....but Spokane "proper" is "sketchy" and that's being very kind.
No, then?~ Been a while for me... obviously.

Flagstaff!

cooutlaw

Reaction score
No, then?~ Been a while for me... obviously.

Flagstaff!

:thumb::thumb: I only know because a few years back I was offered a job and "visited" the area for a week, and talked with a few folks I knew there....after my "exploration" I politely declined the offer.

karstopo

Reaction score
I sure like the vibe of Santa Fe. Not bitter cold in the winter and at 7,000' + asl not quite so blazing hot, relatively low humidity at any rate, in the summer. Great place for walking, great produce, farmer's markets and I love the New Mexican food, but there are other types of food being served in a multitude of eateries. There is a blends of cultures, the avant garde and the very old, and not everyone is of the super rich segment like it might feel in a place like Aspen or Vail. There's a mix of more or less average Joe and Jose locals, California refugees and just enough tourists to be interesting. It's bigger than those glitzy ski resort places I mentioned, but not such a big or medium sized city, but more with a very large town/small city kind of feel. The traffic is tolerable if you have to drive anyplace and no place within Santa Fe is a long place to drive.

My parents spend considerable time there in their retirement and I get up there as much as possible. I don't like cloudy, damp or especially cold icy or snowy weather and Santa Fe is none of those things for very long. The worst heat of summer is not bad at all, just find some shade, but I'm especially heat tolerant. Haven't fished there, but I know people do. Skied at Santa Fe mountain and it's a nice mid sized mountain, just a bit of a drive. Lots of day trips opportunities around and walking through Bandelier National Monument is real treat. A few wineries are popping up. There's stuff to do for sure.

mr mike

Reaction score
I second Karstopo's thoughts on Santa Fe reflecting back to a visit there 3 year ago. Best farmer's market I've ever visited in the US I think. Also, relatively close to ABQ if you need a good airport or more healthcare options.