Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Leader Length for sink tips..

I am 100% sure this has been beaten to death but I was unable to find anything using the integrated search and most online articles don't seem to pertain to me as i dont boat fish. So here goes. I recently got into streamer fishing and bought a 6wt fast action rod which i love. On lots of advice I bought 1/2 heavy floating line and planned on using versi/poly leaders to sink my zero to moderate weighted streamers. All size 8-6 with a few p
    Barbell eyed sculpzillas made with zonker fur sections. Since then I have bought a few size 6 and 4 kelly galloup articulated flies and was told i would be better off with integrated sink tip as those flies can tend to be a bit more buoyant and may be more easily cast on the integrated sink tip line. I am currently awaiting its arrival. I purchased a few 7'-7.5' 0x leaders what should the ideal leader length be and how should i go about it. I also bought 1x flouro tippet. Please help

Default Re: Leader Length for sink tips..

On the non loop end of your poly/versileader you should have some exposed mono. You can either tie a loop or put on a small swivel. From there I normally tie on about 2-3ft of 2x. If you choose to go the loop route you can create a loop to loop connection with the poly to tippet. And if you go the swivel route just tie the tippet directly onto the swivel. The other option would be to skip the versi/poly and just use your regular leader. Add a couple of ft of 2x tippet and a little split shot about 6-12 inches above your streamer and go from there. I’ve done it both ways and both methods can be effective although I personally prefer the regular leader with a little shot most of the time. Play with it and see which setup is more comfortable to cast/fish.

3. Likes Ard liked this post
    Blog Entries

Remember that as the size / bulk of your streamers increase use heavy enough leader. I never go below 12 pound ultra green Maxima. Don't worry about fish seeing the mono, the idea is to bring the streamer from above / up current of their holding spot so they see fly not line. Too light of mono will give casting difficulty and be prone to the knots fly to leader slipping or breaking.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

5. Likes mcnerney, tcorfey, ia_trouter liked this post

1' of 20 lb, blood knotted to 3' of 12 lb. Loop knot to the fly. Done. Don't get too concerned about material. Maxima, Maxima clear, green, Berkely Big Game from Walmart. It doesn't make much difference. You can use an improved blood knot if you have any issues with the jump between 12 and 20- just double the 12.

What you don't want is for the fly to be floating up above the sink tip- that defeats the purpose- and longer leaders (like those 7.5') will do that. They will also make it hard to hit your targets. You want to be picking pockets with this rig- see a spot, hit it with the fly broadside to the current. Strip across that likely holding lie, pick it up and nail the next spot. Rapid fire, working of the most likely water. If you aren't getting hits, change color. Repeat. Our rivers are shallow, so I use a FAST sink, 10' sink tip. On bigger, deeper water, a longer tip can be helpful- here, it just makes it more difficult to pick up and re-cast. Remember, fish feed up, but you don't want them to have to move way up for your fly. Just off the bottom is right most of the time, and you want your fly to get there as quickly as possible, so it is fishing right away. Waiting for it to get to fishing depth is wasted time.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

7. Likes mcnerney, myt1 liked this post

With both poly leaders and sink tips I go with straight 8 to 10 lb mono, about 2 to 3 feet long. Some guys I know go with up to 5 feet of tippet, but I like to keep it shorter.

Unweighted fly: 3' level leader

Weighted fly: up to 6' leader
    Danny

I just use a straight piece of fluorocarbon off my sink tip. 5 to 6 feet long. Depending what I'm fishing for an the fly I'm using, 12 to 30 lb test.
    "All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."

For salmon and steelhead I use a 2'-4' straight piece of 15 lb. Maxima Chameleon, regardless of the type of sink tip (depending on whether I'm fishing a single or double-handed rod, I'll use sink tips, versileaders, and MOW tips). I start with a 4' length, but it'll get cut down during the day as I lose and change flies. I generally don't fish weighted flies, but if I do I add a foot or two of length.

Scott

Thank you everyone for all the advice. Decided to go with 1012 lb and 20 lb Maxima ultragreen. Build the short leader and tie a perfection loop. If that doesnt work for me or my style i will keep working through the suggestions to find the right fit for me. Tight lines everyone

Blog Entries

Once I pass under 20 pound mono I use a double surgeons knot rather than perfection loop, the double surgeon retains better breaking strength. I arrived at that conclusion after all these years of salmon fishing. Whether I broke a tippet on a king salmon or a foul hooked Chum or a snag on the bottom I always lost the whole tippet not just the fly.

I use the 'Orvis Knot' for attaching flies and had been using the Perfection Loop to connect tippet to my tips. Since I lost the entire tippet and fly every time it was easy to determine that the Orvis knot retained more tinsel & torsion strength than the Perfection Loop. With that I began to experiment with the Double Surgeon Knot as my loop for loop to loop connections. Last trip salmon fishing I became snagged on a rock (low water) and the hook actually broke before either of my knots on a 15 pound tippet, go figure?

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast