Airlock Indicators

awreis

Reaction score
I have been looking for some 1/2" airlock indicators and have noticed that almost everyone is out of stock. Does anyone know if there would be a reason why?

osseous

Reaction score
I have been looking for some 1/2" airlock indicators and have noticed that almost everyone is out of stock. Does anyone know if there would be a reason why?
Yeah- they had a q/c issue with the manufacturer. Gonna be a while.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
Or use this as a chance to try the Dorsey Yarn Indicators. You might be surprised at how well they will serve to suspend your flies while being a lot easier to cast.

Since giving these a try, I haven’t used one of the bobber style indicators at all. That doesn’t mean you will agree, but it is worth a shot.

Don

Matt4.0

Reaction score
Ran into this same issue last week. As already stated above and told to me by a LFS, the most popular size in clear had a quality issue. (They said the tops were popping off, so sounds like the threads were off).

Unfortunate as these are my go-to. Easiest to adjust your depth when moving spots and don’t kink your leader.

pheldozer

Reaction score
Or use this as a chance to try the Dorsey Yarn Indicators. You might be surprised at how well they will serve to suspend your flies while being a lot easier to cast.

Since giving these a try, I haven’t used one of the bobber style indicators at all. That doesn’t mean you will agree, but it is worth a shot.

Don
best option around for light nymphs, but i can't make one big enough to suspend anything bigger than a size 14 w/a tungsten bead

if anybody wants to make some and needs macrame yarn, shoot me a PM and i'll send you some. i've got 5x more than i'll ever use in my lifetime

durangobrad

Reaction score
best option around for light nymphs, but i can't make one big enough to suspend anything bigger than a size 14 w/a tungsten bead

if anybody wants to make some and needs macrame yarn, shoot me a PM and i'll send you some. i've got 5x more than i'll ever use in my lifetime
Yep I use homemade yarn indicators attached with a dental rubber band, up to the point where the water is rough and fast or the nymphs and weights are too heavy. They are extremely delicate, easy to adjust and give you a good idea what your flies are doing at all times, compared to bobbers.

osseous

Reaction score
I use Dorsey style on weighted double rigs all the time- no problem. Floats for hours. Use the right yarn. Brush it out with a dab of floatant. Done. Only time I go Airlock now is in highly aerated water so the indicator will float back up if it gets submerged. But even then, just elevate the Dorsey until you see it, and it'll float again.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk