Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: just a tip

1. Default just a tip

for some newer fly guys, heres a tip i posted elsewhere on this forum. when choosing your leader and tippet this is the rule of thumb i use: choose the size of fly we'll say 18 for easy math, now divide that by 3 and you get 6. theres your leader, now your tippet should be at the heaviest 5x. for different size flies you can just round it out, its just a good starting point. then of course you have the clearity of the water to factor in. but in dirty water youll use a bigger fly so the math starts over. sometimes for the leader ill go 1x lighter it seems to match better.

Default Re: just a tip

Quote Originally Posted by pc40chas View Post
    for some newer fly guys, heres a tip i posted elsewhere on this forum. when choosing your leader and tippet this is the rule of thumb i use: choose the size of fly we'll say 18 for easy math, now divide that by 3 and you get 6. theres your leader, now your tippet should be at the heaviest 5x
    With regard to your leader / tippit relationship... this is opposite of what I do and recommend. I have a different approach that has less faith in math, and more in 15 years of experimentation ... I generally choose my tapered leader based on my line weight and taper to get the smoothest transfer of energy... for example with a 5wt WF I'll usually go with a 4X, and with DT and TT sometimes a 5X. From there I generally go +1X for my tippet, unless I'm concerned that it won't cut it for the fish I'm likely to find during that outing, then sometimes I'll run the same weight. I never rig with a tippet that is heavier/stronger than my leader... it makes no sense to me. YMMV
    ... But a lifelong journey.

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
    go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford

Default Re: just a tip

I didn't study.... I didn't know there was gonna be a quiz
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart