Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  38
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default Re: best guided trip ever

Honestly, I've never had a great guided experience. I've only been guided three times in my life. Two separate times we hired two differnt guides for inshore fishing in the SC lowcountry, and the third time was a free guided trip I had won from a shop in WNC. Neither of the lowcountry guides put us on any fish to speak of, which isn't always their fault due to weather, tides, and whatnot. The first guide tried pretty hard to switch up tactics and locations to get us on fish. The second guide did not work very hard at all to try to find fish.

The WNC trip was even worse. The "guide" basically just dumped us on a roadside DH stream that was just stocked, told us to tie on the mop flies he gave us and basically just had us fish the same two runs for several hours while he sat on a rock watching. It was pretty awful. I know it was a free trip, but if I'd known that's all it'd consist of, I probably would have just stayed home and saved the hotel and gas money.

To be honest, my best "guided" trip occurred when I was fishing on my own one day in WNC and ran into a guide on his day off. He taught me everything I know about Euro nymphing. I learned more from him in a couple of hours of his free time than I ever have from a paid guide.

2. Likes corn fed fins liked this post

Default Re: best guided trip ever

Quote Originally Posted by hcrum87hc View Post
    Honestly, I've never had a great guided experience. I've only been guided three times in my life. Two separate times we hired two differnt guides for inshore fishing in the SC lowcountry, and the third time was a free guided trip I had won from a shop in WNC. Neither of the lowcountry guides put us on any fish to speak of, which isn't always their fault due to weather, tides, and whatnot. The first guide tried pretty hard to switch up tactics and locations to get us on fish. The second guide did not work very hard at all to try to find fish.

The WNC trip was even worse. The "guide" basically just dumped us on a roadside DH stream that was just stocked, told us to tie on the mop flies he gave us and basically just had us fish the same two runs for several hours while he sat on a rock watching. It was pretty awful. I know it was a free trip, but if I'd known that's all it'd consist of, I probably would have just stayed home and saved the hotel and gas money.

To be honest, my best "guided" trip occurred when I was fishing on my own one day in WNC and ran into a guide on his day off. He taught me everything I know about Euro nymphing. I learned more from him in a couple of hours of his free time than I ever have from a paid guide.
    MOP flies and sat on a rock? That is like straight out of a Hank Patterson video!

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

4. Likes corn fed fins liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by WNCtroutstalker View Post
    I'm torn between two, sort of a quality-vs-quantity dilemma.

In terms of my most memorable fish, that's easy...

Attachment 18789
    At the Alto Parana River in Argentina earlier this year. Estimated at 19 lbs. It was my last fish of the trip caught with less than 30 minutes of fishing left.

But for the most memorable overall day, that was a few years ago in the Patagonia region of Argentina. There's a particular river that runs into a large lake/reservoir that holds big browns and rainbows. At certain times of the year minnows leave the lake and run upstream and the big trout follow. The guide had said that there wasn't a very large minnow run at the time, but on the last day of my trip I asked to go there as I wanted to fish as many different waters as possible. All I can say is that if the minnow run was slow that day I can't imagine what it would be like when it's really on. I forget the numbers, but I probably landed around 40 fish, seven or eight of which were 20+", and missed a bunch more because of short strikes (I was fishing streamers resembling minnows), missed sets and break offs.

Attachment 18790
    23", my last and largest fish of the day.
    Great to know that a lot of people in the forum had great memories from our Northern Patagonia waters in Argentina. The minnow run as well as the inch-worm hatch are amazing phenomenom that are definitely worth of them.

6. Likes Ard liked this post
  7. Default Re: best guided trip ever

Quote Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
    MOP flies and sat on a rock? That is like straight out of a Hank Patterson video!

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk
    At least Hank would have provided some entertainment.

8. Likes ia_trouter liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by okaloosa View Post
    what is your best guided trip ever...This was mine and I will never forget...it was about 15 years ago...
    It was supposed to be a 6 to 8 hour night time fly fishing trip for tarpon out of Miami....
    That sounds spectacular. I would like to hire this guy. What is his name?
    Last edited by flafly14; 09-12-2019 at 07:49 AM.

I've had to many good days with guides to recount them all but they all occurred with the guys from Trouthunter lodge in Idaho while fishing Henry's Fork. Darby, Gaffney, Lewis, Hemes, et.al not only excellent guides and teachers but solid individuals as well. My life has been enriched from having spent a few days with each of these guides. My advice is very simple. If you are fishing water that you don't know well hire a guide. If you only fish a few days a year hire a guide.

11. Thanks MichaelCPA thanked for this post

Quote Originally Posted by tennessee dave View Post
    If you are fishing water that you don't know well hire a guide. If you only fish a few days a year hire a guide.
    Do this. Such great advice.

13. Likes Esteban Urban liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12