Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  22
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: First post and introduction

Welcome to the forum...I have done 30 years worth of flyfishing in Florida, mostly in panhandle but also in Keys, Miami, and everglades.
    this has to be the friendliest forum I have been on regarding fishing..we all learn from each other

2. Thanks cyclerdoug thanked for this post

I believe I had read somewhere that Pennsylvania has more miles of trout streams than anywhere, It would be a shame to learn how to fly cast and not pick up a light stream trout rod and pursue some wild trout.

Hi Doug,

Nice to meet you... Welcome to the forum!

Whilst I know nothing about fishing for bonefish, Iíll be looking forward to seeing your posts & learning alongside you. Enjoy the forum. Itís a great place to be when you canít be out on the water!

Kind regards,
    Wallace
    Wallace

5. Thanks cyclerdoug thanked for this post

Welcome to the forum Doug! No Salt life advice from me either, but as you already know this place is a wealth of information.

Dewayne

7. Thanks cyclerdoug thanked for this post

Welcome to the forum Doug. This is a great place with very helpful people. I would encourage you to start your new adventure with casting lessons as soon as you can. I know that some places offer lessons for free while others charge a little (or quite a bit), but you can't place a value on casting instructions. Lessons will save you time and frustration and get you off to a great start. Just my opinion.

Take Care,
    Dan

9. Likes cyclerdoug liked this post

Cool Re: First post and introduction

Gentlemen - Thanks very much for the warm welcome, and again for those of you who have answered my pm's! I have arranged for some individual instruction in the coming week based on all your suggestions in here. I went to a very well known shop in our area and told their salt water guy just how much of a rookie I am and he chatted with me for a solid hour about my goal. I am going to get individual instruction from him for several hours, then get the rod, reel, and line setup and practice all fall and winter and then attend his small group weekend schools next spring for a tune-up (Or several tune-ups...I am a certified dipsh!t). He had rod and reel matchup recommendations for me, never pushed me in any direction to get a sale based on his pay, and even told me if I want something they don't carry and wanted to order it online he would give me his opinion before I buy it, and help me get it all set up regardless of where I got it. Coming from my car business background his entire attitude and demeanor was refreshing to say the least. He is in his early 60's I would say and has been fly fishing since he was 8 and teaches several schools and takes flyfishing trips to Belize, Montana, and the Bahamas annually for anglers who want to join him. I am looking forward to starting out. Hell, I don't even know if I'm right or left-handed yet!

11. Likes iv_wjb liked this post

Yes, welcome, cycler. We have two saltwater sections here, a general one and an Article one that you might enjoy perusing. You did a smart thing engaging with a local pro from whom you could potently learn a lot. May I propose you have a conversation with him on a specific topic: Pursuing bonefish on the tropical flats is at the high end of the fly fishing learning curve anywhere but is at its most complex in the Florida Keys. You are fortunate to live in a state with abundant trout streams. Now, I love both trout and salt fishing and suggest you start with your local opportunities from which you can start to build a skill-set foundation toward more exotic pursuits. Of course, if you have a hankering to vacation in the Keys...go for it. Locate a guide there who is talented at teaching a novice through a fly shop in the area you might be going, he likely will have loaner equipment for you too. Good luck and stay involved here.

13. Thanks cyclerdoug thanked for this post

Welcome aboard!

Blog Entries

Welcome! Glad to see yet another fellow stick waver.
    Nice fish! Do you have anymore pictures of it lying in the dirt?
    As publicity increases so does the propensity of tripping over yards of mono attached to a Dipsey sinker.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    Yes, welcome, cycler. We have two saltwater sections here, a general one and an Article one that you might enjoy perusing. You did a smart thing engaging with a local pro from whom you could potently learn a lot. May I propose you have a conversation with him on a specific topic: Pursuing bonefish on the tropical flats is at the high end of the fly fishing learning curve anywhere but is at its most complex in the Florida Keys. You are fortunate to live in a state with abundant trout streams. Now, I love both trout and salt fishing and suggest you start with your local opportunities from which you can start to build a skill-set foundation toward more exotic pursuits. Of course, if you have a hankering to vacation in the Keys...go for it. Locate a guide there who is talented at teaching a novice through a fly shop in the area you might be going, he likely will have loaner equipment for you too. Good luck and stay involved here.

Very good advice, thank you Sweet! I have considered the local trout streams, I grew up here so I am familiar with the abundance of them. However, what sparked my fascination and desire to learn is the very specific discipline of bonefishing those flats. The more I see and learn of it the more I want to do it. And I have been reading (Mostly in here) about the specific challenges of it and that makes me want to learn it even more. I didn't learn to fly by getting my wings wet in a Piper Cub, I started with a helicopter! If I go through all this and end up in the Keys after a week without one picture of me with one little bonefish I won't give half a rats a$$, it'll still be worth it and that will just mean I have to return the next year
    This local pro I'm returning to for lessons next week has all the saltwater gear for me to use, from 7 wt through 9 wt, and several reels, both in right and left retrieve. I will absolutely heed your advice about the local guide down there...I have no trouble starting the conversation with anyone about how new I am and how much hand-holding I'll likely need. I refuse to show up at the dock and not know how to cast, strip, and retrieve properly though. Hence the instruction. Worth every penny, and I haven't even started yet!

Please keep the suggestions coming, and stop me right away if I try to stick a fork in the toaster!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12