Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  101
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Fishing in Grizzly Country

I fished Slough Creek last August. We were the first ones up the trail and the wolves howled at us when we entered first meadow. Saw sandhill cranes in second meadow. Had a small grizzly run past us on the trail while we were watering up on the hike out. Neither one of us had bear spray, neither one of us was worried about it. If **** happens, it happens. I've lived a good full life.
    My best vacation is your worst nightmare. After all, it's only really fun if it is at least Type 2 fun.

2. Likes unknownflyman, mcnerney liked this post

A woman just got killed by a black bear on the Minnesota/Ontario border lake island. Her dog got loose and got in a fight, she went to save the dog or something. Food or Dogs seem to bring the most bad encounters. I think its pretty tough to save a dog, its probably better to leave the dog and bear fight it out and have the dog run away or not and no Ive never carried a gun in bear country. I never felt the overwhelming paranoia to carry.

4. Likes mcnerney liked this post
  5. Default Re: Fishing in Grizzly Country

About 20 years ago I was fishing the Galatin near Great Falls, MT. I was scheduled to meet Mrs. Fan soon, so I ended my hike on the river and fished on a sand bar. Shortly, I went to the gas station/fly shop across the street to get a warm drink. The guy there asked how I did, then told met that mama grizzly and her two cubs were on that sand bar about 5 minutes before I was. It made me think.

I live in Wyoming, and there are Grizzlies and wolves here. You learn to keep your ears and eyes open. Mostly during hunting season, but also when I'm tagged out and hitting the rivers.

6. Likes mcnerney liked this post

I fish Northern Michigan streams. We have some black bear which are not nearly as aggressive as a grizzly but they can and do attack.

There are also a few cougar.

Possibly a wild boar, which I'd probably be more scared of than a black bear.

Coyotes.

Wolves, which again, probably more scary than a black bear.

Skunks, rather not have one of those get to close.

Then there is the most capable and dangerous thing out there, the human being. Not the first thing most would think of but deadly.

Of course most fisherman are really quite nice. But humans are what they are and some are not so nice. There's also more than just fisherman out there.

I fish a spot in the fall, that for many years, I get so far upstream and all of a sudden I'm being watched from the bridge by a couple guys in a golf cart. They don't think I can see them from where I'm at. Last time I saw one of them leaning off the bridge trying to watch me. It only happens in the fall. I think someone is growing pot and if I walked farther upstream than I usually do, I believe I'd come across their plot. Are they friendly, would they not bother me and hope I didn't say anything, or would they take a more aggressive approach? Luckily pot is now legal in Michigan so they may not be so stressed. We'll see, probably gonna go fish it next week.

A good spray could save your life from many different predators.

8. Likes wthorpe, hcrum87hc, mcnerney liked this post

I carry bear spray and keep my head on a swivel. I'd carry a handgun if I had one in a bigger caliber. Whatever you carry, know how to use it and keep it handy.

10. Likes mcnerney, jdwy liked this post

I encountered one Grizzly out west that eventually wandered off. I have had some interesting Black Bear encounters in NE PA. Some ran off others just poke along going about their business. Some are surprised and circle to get down wind to further identify you and others just hang around too long which can be unnerving. There are a lot of Black Bears where I live and some have caused problems mostly to property and other animals. They are a large powerful animal.
    I enjoy seeing them in the woods but I am mindful to their presence.

12. Default Re: Fishing in Grizzly Country

I fish quite a bit around grizzlies and carry spray.

Now I'm Canadian and can't legally carry a handgun to fish, but I wouldn't carry one for bear protection if I could (and yes, I have a fair bit of experience with them). I've fished and camped a few really sketchy places where I took the 12 gauge, and keep a shotgun or rifle close by if there is also moose calling or harvesting going on.

I think the combination of fly rod and bear spray is actually a very good bear defense. Just leave it strung up while you walk in and out through the bushes- all the swearing will let them know you're in the area so they can leave. To be doubly sure, take up the spey rod, which cultivates loud cussing while on the water. The spray is mostly to give you something to think about so you don't panic and run away screaming the first time you get that really funny feeling in your belly, turn around, and see a bear fishing 20 feet behind you.

13. Likes buffler razz, photoguy, mcnerney liked this post

I was out hunting this past week for the opening of elk season and I "bumped" a large black bear... The bear was only around 15 feet away! Luckily there was no cubs and it moved away growling and making other terrifying noises. I think we were both mutually spooked.

When I am in grizzly country I always carry bear spray. I have watched way too many sketchy youtube videos to not always have bear spray on my belt.
    Quality Fly Fishing Reels at www.taylorflyfishing.com

15. Likes mcnerney liked this post
  16. Default Re: Fishing in Grizzly Country

I just got back from fishing the second meadow of Slough creek. I have done this a number of times. I hike solo, carry bear spray,make noise, pay attention and avoid hiking at dusk and dawn. Calculated risk I guess. Slough creek is worth it.

17. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by satyr View Post
    I fished Slough Creek last August. We were the first ones up the trail and the wolves howled at us when we entered first meadow. Saw sandhill cranes in second meadow. Had a small grizzly run past us on the trail while we were watering up on the hike out. Neither one of us had bear spray, neither one of us was worried about it. If **** happens, it happens. I've lived a good full life.
    The way I interpret this is that you have no defensive weapon of any kind, and you are OK with that and aren't worried simply because you live a good full life. So have I, but I have a desire to make it a bit fuller.

19. Likes pfetz, mcnerney, jdwy, rustneversleeps liked this post
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast