Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  101
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Fishing in Grizzly Country

Conversely to my above post, I often also wonder how effective a firearm would be on bear....as others have said the adrenaline and further the shear mass of the animal would dictate a pretty composed shooter make a really decent and lethal shot to be effective. As a kid in AZ I hunted Javelina with a 22-250 and 30.06 from longer range....the 22-250 would tick them off and you could jack 4 rounds squarely on target and they would run toward you....I picture this same scenario with a bear...I suspect any small caliber handgun would just anger them....and a misplaced grazing shot in a larger round would just tick them off. I have never hunted bear and I assume that a 45-70 saddle carbine or similar would be a standard outback guide type choice....but realistically nobody is carrying a rifle or a shot gun while fishing unless a guide is standing watch with one. I just have to believe that no matter how confident someone is with a firearm they would likely have a better result avoiding having to use it...by de-escalating the situation and somehow and the bear running off. Here in Colorado we see bear from time to time....had one in my pasture a year ago....but we see far more cats...I carry when I believe there is potential for cats...they scare me far more than bear....I suspect there may be more cat attacks on record than bear too. I don;t think the airhorn or spray is going to run a cat off....likely the only way a big hungry cat is leaving is if he's taking a dirt nap.

2. Likes boisefly liked this post

When fishing bear spray is standard issue on my fishing pack, and within reach. There are times when I have a large caliber handgun as well. Same when bowhunting for elk. Kind of like wearing suspenders and a belt, but I feel better about it. In actuality, spray would be my choice for use. I shot handguns competitively for many years, speed and accuracy, not just target punching, and like the spray concept.

Here is an article initially published by RMEF on spray vs guns effectiveness. While it is now hosted on a spray mfg website, it offers some good statistics. The author is a biologist living in Wyo.
    http://https://counterassault.com/wp...vivalSpray.pdf
    There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
    Everyone knows what they mean.
    What's more important is time that is known as the little dash in between.

Razz

4. Likes smarty140 liked this post

I am the OP for this and am enjoying reading all the responses. I see we are up to 7 pages, I'd like to see 7 more (or more). Responses run the gamut from I carry a gun, I carry spray, I carry both and even an I carry nothing. Personally, I think the risk of collateral damage from a flare is pretty high. I have always prided myself on being an ethical hunter, obeying the laws and trying to make quick clean kills. I would think that ethics might go out the window when it comes to bear defense. I don't want to see an animal suffer after being shot, but defending your, or a loved ones life from a bear comes first. I would think that many bears have been shot defensively and run off to die a slow lingering death, but the thought of that would be the last thing on my mind if I were the one pulling the trigger. I will be buying a can of bear spray to carry on my next camping/hiking/fly fishing trip into the Colorado Rockies, I will also have a .44 magnum on my chest. I fully respect your choice of bear defense, whatever it may be. A bear the area I am fishing/camping/hiking in would not deter me from what I am there to do, only prompt me to be more vigilant. Let's see 7 more pages of responses!!

6. Likes boisefly liked this post

Underwood hardcast. I see absolutely no downside to having it along.

8. Likes jangles liked this post
    Blog Entries

As mentioned earlier....when looking them up I was surprised by the amount of modern specialty products designed for the purpose - some are just remakes on old school tactics like the flare gun.....but they are plentiful:

Launchers and Bear Bangers – Kodiak Wildlife Products | Bear Spray | Bear Bangers | Wild Life Safety Kits | Bear Bells

Shop Bear Spray & Bear Deterrents

I kind of like the flare gun idea. If they make one in a double action . . . . . .

Marana ,Hellazonia . Idaho , Utah , Mt , NM and Wyoming at different times of the year .

Spend your money on trinkets if you like but I'm putting a 255 HC BB 460R in him given the chance . I wont even give one the chance to charge me . Just like Nam , NO warning shot, bang you're dead . Otherwise I'll scream like a girl if one gets me down and then there's the hilary clinton mask for a backup .
    Ron Zimmerman

Driving a 52 Chevy in a Cadillac lane on my way to a river near you .

Don't forget the duct tape , Red Green

Thread Killer

12. Likes boisefly liked this post
    Hot Springs, Virginia/Harbor Springs, Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by cooutlaw View Post
    I guess the flare gun scenario hung around from long ago...I just looked up bear flares, bear bangers, cracker shells, they even have lightweight pens that take a flare cartridge now....all kinds of specialty bear deterrents. What I saw in actual use (for those fearing fire from the flare) was: mid water the flare fired, bear ran off, and flare set down into the water...worked perfectly. I asked the same question at the time....the response was never launch the flare over the bear....it pushes them toward you afraid, and if the flare does go onto land...it will burn, yes, but after the bear runs off you can run over and stomp it out. The new designs appear even safer....some just burn for a minute, make noise, and then go out. They are also using the little portable bottled marine boat horns...aerosol can horns....high pitched screech sound supposedly runs them off quickly too.

Years ago I was told a story....I don;t know it's validity....could be complete BS....but I was told that Moose in the northeast, Maine or somewhere, had become conditioned to people present meaning food and they were becoming more bold and in mass numbers almost harassing people aggressively running at them... the game wardens began using the flare gun scenario and literally lighting the Moose up...they supposedly tracked the results by Moose with flare marks on them compared to Moose without them....as the story goes the Moose conditioned to people meaning fire/flare and the issue subsided pretty quickly.....again, just an old story that may be complete BS....a lot of early MT guides carried flare guns, myself included, and although I was lucky enough to never need to use one....I saw one launched one time at literally a group of bear, maybe 6-7, couple sows and few cubs and one BIG male....way more than enough to scare anybody, the whole tribe scattered quick...I think animals are probably more afraid of fire than anything else. I don;t know the legalities and I'm sure it differs in all locations, but I can tell you back then it sure worked.
    Thats great! Im going that route..the gunners on our vehicles in Iraq had those mini pin flare guns and they really dispersed crouds so i imagine it'll work on bears...im sure the legality is far better than other options that i use
    "All America lies at the end of the wilderness road, and our past is not a dead past, but still lives in us. Our forefathers had civilization inside themselves, the wilderness outside. We live in the civilization they created, but within us the wilderness still lingers. What they dreamed, we live, and what they lived, we dream." -T.K. Whipple

Case in point, Two years ago a Minnesota bowhunter shot a black bear with a bow in the evening. He went home and got his shotgun and a couple buddies to retrieve the bear. The bear was still alive and attacked and mauled the bowhunter he was near death and disfigured but he lived.

What saved his life was not the shotgun with slugs it was his 3" folding blade pocket knife, like my Kershaw I always carry.

While the bear was on top of the hunter chewing on his head and face, the hunter got his knife out of his pocket and stabbed the bear repeatedly in the stomach and chest killing the bear.

Ive been shooting since I was 12 when I got my first rifle after passing my firearms safety permit and shooting proficiently at a range with a LEO. Ive seen lots of people shoot, especially large caliber handguns. Most people never really get what I would call good at the range!

I would say a bear is pretty damn safe from most people with a handgun under stress. Ive seen friends under buck fever than have not fired or done some pretty stupid stuff.

I deer hunt every year and get one or two whitetails, I`m sorry but I don't get off on hole size or ballistics, a quick clean kill with my 30-06 and mostly I feel glad I got some meat in the freezer and I feel bad for the deer, I always do.

As much as I like firearms and respect them, I`m not a gun nut, I don't understand some of the people I know, and a gun is always the answer to everything. I find it bizarre, this strange love affair with firearms. Mine are in the vault until I go hunting, if someone broke in, I probably wouldn't even think to grab one.

Take what you want, I`m insured, and please leave. Make sure to grab the TV, I need a new 4K. lol

15. Likes Druunkonego, photoguy, boisefly liked this post

. I just have to believe that no matter how confident someone is with a firearm they would likely have a better result avoiding having to use it...
    True, a friend who is a part time hunting guide said he was confronted up close and personal by a grizzly and he said his gun hand was shaking so bad he didn't think he could have hit it if it had followed through with its bluff charge.
    I don't understand some of the people I know, and a gun is always the answer to everything.
    I've had a concealed carry permit for over 30 years and have put it to use under certain situations, however my state is an open carry state and there's always an ex-big city screwball who's moved here and struts around in public with a firearm strapped to his side just because he can.
    Last edited by jdwy; 09-20-2019 at 09:49 AM.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast