Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  42
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Icelandic sheep hair for saltwater streamer

I'd be concerned about the wing of that fly fouling around the hook bend.
    When looking at a deceiver or a flatwing style fly, you'll see that they are designed as they are precisely to avoid that.
    Mr unknown's suggestion of the bucktail "platform" is a good one, but you might want to try a mono loop.
    Ray Bondrow's buckail "Rays Fly" is a serious fish catcher but I've also had problems with it fouling even though the wing is tied with stiff bucktail

Like this

the Ray's Fly

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.” --- Horace Kephart

2. Thanks fq13 thanked for this post
    Likes mcnerney, unknownflyman liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by bbart View Post
    Reminds me of Whitlock's sheep hair version. I note you put the flashabou between layers, a better idea IMHO. Thanks for the response! Do you tie the sheep hair without removing the underfur?
    I remove a good bit of the underfur, but not always all of it. Depends on how I want it to look. I use Polar Flash on this fly, as I like it better than Flashabou for combining with these finer textured materials.

Rip, this material does have a tendency to foul because it's not very stiff, not like bucktail. My use of a short shank hook, some adhesive behind the head, and the feathers on each side helps reduce the fouling. The mallard also adds to the baitfish look, so serves two purposes.

McGlothin, traditionally bucktail hair has been the most used and most popular natural material for streamer patterns in saltwater. Unfortunately, it's limited in length, so other materials have gained use and popularity. Yak hair is likely the most popular for length, but it's also stiffer. I've tied with other materials, including Tibetian Lamb and other sheep/goat hairs, Yak, and Mohair. Synthetics have replaced natural for many of the larger, longer patterns. I have not tied a lot with them, but kanekelon is one that I like using and have used it in place of Yak to add length and combined it with natural materials.

If you're really interested in larger baitfish patterns, take a look at some of the fly designs that Bob Popovics has designed. They can be tied in many sizes, and with materials that are not always long.

Check out Bob Popovics books for his flies & tying techniques.
    Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

Quote Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
    I remove a good bit of the underfur, but not always all of it. Depends on how I want it to look. I use Polar Flash on this fly, as I like it better than Flashabou for combining with these finer textured materials.

Rip, this material does have a tendency to foul because it's not very stiff, not like bucktail. My use of a short shank hook, some adhesive behind the head, and the feathers on each side helps reduce the fouling. The mallard also adds to the baitfish look, so serves two purposes.

McGlothin, traditionally bucktail hair has been the most used and most popular natural material for streamer patterns in saltwater. Unfortunately, it's limited in length, so other materials have gained use and popularity. Yak hair is likely the most popular for length, but it's also stiffer. I've tied with other materials, including Tibetian Lamb and other sheep/goat hairs, Yak, and Mohair. Synthetics have replaced natural for many of the larger, longer patterns. I have not tied a lot with them, but kanekelon is one that I like using and have used it in place of Yak to add length and combined it with natural materials.

If you're really interested in larger baitfish patterns, take a look at some of the fly designs that Bob Popovics has designed. They can be tied in many sizes, and with materials that are not always long.

Check out Bob Popovics books for his flies & tying techniques.
    I've migrated to Angel Hair or Polar Flash for smaller streamers, and as you mention should be a better addition to the fine sheep hair.

5. Likes bigjim5589 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    I'd be concerned about the wing of that fly fouling around the hook bend.
    When looking at a deceiver or a flatwing style fly, you'll see that they are designed as they are precisely to avoid that.
    Mr unknown's suggestion of the bucktail "platform" is a good one, but you might want to try a mono loop.
    Ray Bondrow's buckail "Rays Fly" is a serious fish catcher but I've also had problems with it fouling even though the wing is tied with stiff bucktail

Like this

the Ray's Fly

The short shank on this hair fly seems to have prevented the fowling as I cast a few days ago. I have used a few strands of Unique Hair tied on the shank and stiffened with ZapAGap. The idea being the twistier stuff will wrap around the stiffened fibers. I also use the mono loop when tying on longer shank hooks. Not sure anything works 100% of the time, but thanks for the input.

Damn, I just got back from Iceland. I could have stocked up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Likes unknownflyman, TwoThumbsUp liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by oldskewl808 View Post
    Damn, I just got back from Iceland. I could have stocked up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've got 2 full sheep pelts slung over our stair banister that my wife brought back from Iceland. I could start snipping bits and pieces out of them and my wife would never know. She'd kill me if she found out, though.
    *Disclaimer, I don't always know what I'm talking about.

10. Likes unknownflyman liked this post

Just an FYI, some of these hairs are also sold for doll making. I have purchased it a few times from an Ebay seller who sells such doll making supplies. Unfortunately, color selection is not always the best, but white is usually available and I dye some of my own materials anyway.

The colors I used in the posted fly, white, light blue & pink, all were as purchased, so many of the colors used for making dolls, can be worthwhile for tying flies.

Of course, many fly shops carry these supplies too. Check with Theriault Flies in Maine. They raise some of these animals and have a good selection of tying materials.
    Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

Icelandic sheep is not expensive fly tying material and easy to get, my local shop on the river has a full selection and not expensive at all. Don't cut up your nice pelts.

13. Likes bigjim5589, danmarino, fq13 liked this post
  14. Default Re: Icelandic sheep hair for saltwater streamer

Here is a craft fur version I tied up a few years ago, but recently caught some bass and bluegills on.

15. Likes bigjim5589, kentuckysteve liked this post

I use it and love it here in So Fl. (Though I do wonder what an Icelandic sheep would think about his tail being died chartreuse and sold in the Everglades) ? I tie a little #6 long shanked bass fly with sheep over sparse white marabou with the hook wrapped in peacock heal or the same colored thick tinsel with a black thread head. Sort of like the original fly shown. I also use it like craft hair on the on wider body flies tying in one clump over another for wider body bunker type flies.

Like trophy wives in Boca Raton Florida fish believe there is no such thing as too much flash, so lots of pearlecent Crystal flash or a bit of thin good tinsel never hurts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast