Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Default Slit foam recharging?

I've converted to mostly slim slit foam boxes. However, some that have held larger (for me) #12-16 hooks develop a memory from the hooks between the foam slits. Those boxes will no longer hold 18's and 20's securely because the foam has an indentation. Does anyone know a way to get the foam expanded again to make the slits tight?

Default Re: Slit foam recharging?

I take the flies out and steam the foam over boiling water from a tea kettle. It usually does a pretty good job for me.

I've followed your blog for years. It gets two thumbs up from me.
    *Disclaimer, I don't always know what I'm talking about.

3. Thanks lightline thanked for this post

Glue the slits shut and cut new ones with an exacto.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

Quote Originally Posted by JoJer View Post
    Glue the slits shut and cut new ones with an exacto.
    Have you done this? What type of glue exactly? And do you try to cut the new slits in between the old ones or at the old ones. The C&F boxes have notches where the slots are and they are really close together so I imagine that you are recutting them where the old ones were.

I would probably try the steaming method first. Another option would be to remove the foam entirely and replace with new either from the original manufacturer or another source.

Thanks for any additional information.

Don

No, I have never done this. I buy cheap plastic boxes and line them with whatever foam I can find. Then I stuff them with the terrible flies I tie. I'll never have one of those cool looking boxes filled with row upon row of identical flies tied in three sizes of five different colors. Once I get a fly "right" (looks like the one in the picture) I'm lucky if I can stay interested long enough to tie six more before I wander into..." what would that look like if I added some of this or that". So, no sense buying expensive boxes where the foam (apparently) can wear out before the hinges.
    Gluing those slits might be the only time contact cement would be easy to use. I have some automotive spray adhesives I inherited that are looking for a project, but I would hope someone here better versed in glues than I will give you suggestions.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

7. Likes asdf liked this post