Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  45
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: What's the biggest fight?

You can't compare freshwater and saltwater fish, and I tend to think you can't throw searun fish into the mix either. I love the fight of a steelhead fresh from the ocean, but its just not a fair comparison to any fish I've caught in freshwater. When it comes to freshwater fish I put three above all the rest; smallmouth, carp, and rainbows. Smallies pull hard and jump, but don't run much. Carp pull and run, but don't jump. Rainbows do all three and have speed the other two don't.

2. Likes flytie09, okaloosa liked this post

I would love to see what a 5lb bluegill could do. I'd be willing to bet it would rank in top 3 if not top slot.
    The addiction all began on the Cimmaron River in New Mexico...

4. Likes ia_trouter liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by flav View Post
    You can't compare freshwater and saltwater fish, and I tend to think you can't throw searun fish into the mix either. I love the fight of a steelhead fresh from the ocean, but its just not a fair comparison to any fish I've caught in freshwater. When it comes to freshwater fish I put three above all the rest; smallmouth, carp, and rainbows. Smallies pull hard and jump, but don't run much. Carp pull and run, but don't jump. Rainbows do all three and have speed the other two don't.
    It is true that simply by virtue of their environment and potential predators, oceanic fish are bigger and stronger than freshwater counterparts merely on the basis of survival. It becomes, in sport fishing, a little clouded, however, when the anadromous and non-migratory fish is the same species as in rainbow and steelhead trout. While the life history story varies and we get that, a steelhead is nevertheless a freshwater dependent, for spawning and rearing, species. And, as illustrated by the adaptive success of Great Lakes steelhead, fully capable of reverting to a fresh water only variation. Same with brown trout that can be sea run, lake run or river resident fish.

6. Likes unknownflyman liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by dolomieu View Post
    Another fish that fights very well is the Hybrid Striped Bass or Wiper. A 5lb. specimen is not all that large, but they are fun and hit your offering like a freight train, then bore off in knuckle busting runs.
    Not having caught several of the species on the list, this was going to be my choice as well. We just call them hybrid, but they're a mix of striped bass (stripers) and white bass. They don't get super huge here, but man are they mean. A few times a year they school up and chase bait on top water. That's some of the most fun I've ever had. Water splashing all around the boat due to their chasing bait, and it doesn't matter what you throw or in what direction. You're going to hook up, and it's going to be like having a little freight train on the line. We got into a school of 4-6lbers one day, and that's probably the best day fishing I've had in terms of good old fun.

8. Likes dolomieu liked this post

I just want to say, thank you for all the replies.

I think most people missed the ranking I was doing on the original post. I was ranking the fish in terms of fight, not nominating a bunch of fish for top spot. That's why the walleye is in there at the bottom. Pike are on the lower end, like has been said, decent fight to start, quick to give up.

As for the fish I chose, those were in my mind of all great lakes fish.

Poor judgement on my part, I didn't include sturgeon, lol, 5lb sturgeon. Anyway

1-10

This past June I was able to fish Lake Havasu in Arizona. It's home to the world record shellcracker, weighing in at almost 6 pounds. Using spinning gear on a day when the temps were in triple digits, I managed to catch 2 of those beasts. 50 years of fishing and I catch my 2 largest panfish ever, both a few minutes a part from each other. I didn't weight nor measure them, I just let them go. The first one on, I thought I had a catfish. It just bulldogged to the bottom, taking some serious drag along with it.

Once I realized what I had, it was all I could do to land the fish without losing it. If anyone was watching me, I must have looked like Roger Willoughby to them,

So a 5 pound panfish wins my vote.

11. Likes okaloosa liked this post

What about Catfish? A fast water channel cat? I have had some good 2 pounders on when fishing muddlers for SMB. Little tanks!

13. Likes strmanglr scott liked this post

A fish that I have NOT seen mentioned is the Bowfin. That is a fish that fights from hook up to release,and, they are STRONG!
    "We Are The People Our Parents Warned Us About"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234