Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  13
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: What’s the biggest fight - Saltwater Edition

Easily bluefish
    "Pound for pound" the meanest fish in the sea
    If they grew larger, no other fish could stand in their way
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.” --- Horace Kephart

2. Likes pheldozer liked this post

I think the same fish wins both fresh and salt... King Salmon. I have always said it’s the perfect game fish because it does everything a game fish is supposed to do. Amazing aerials, deep dogging, uses structure to its advantage, and makes long runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stingray. I was fishing near the road and my backcast hooked one that was going by.

5. Likes mjkirshner, pickadrake liked this post

I have no saltwater experience other than fishing for Baltic Salmon and while I only had a brief hook up I witnessed a fly fisherman near me tie into a 40 pound class fish if not 50. It was the most amazing thing Ive ever seen no fish flew so high and swam so fast. My Altlanic and pacific salmon experience is in the Great Lakes so I can't really comment on that.

Ive watched a lot of tarpon videos and that looks insane as well, they maybe don't jump as high as Baltic and Atlantic salmon but they do jump high and travel fast, besides they are 100 to 160 pounds.

In my opinion I will have to say that Tarpon would be number one, and Atlantic and Baltic salmon number 2 and pacific salmon number 3.

And I say across all lines, fresh or salt water, and you can add steelhead in with pacific salmon.

Ive heard it two ways, Salmon and Steelhead fight harder because there is no smoltification process, going from salt to fresh water but fresh fish from the salt are larger and fight harder, and get doggy after the adjustment to fresh water.

On my home river on lake superior there is only one fish that will consistently steal peoples fly lines and that is the wild king salmon on my home river. Two reports of lost fly lines this year. Ive not heard of many steelhead taking fly lines but I'm sure its happened.

Stream trout even in large size do not have the power of salmon and steelhead even in fresh water.

1-Tarpon
    2-Baltic and Atlantic Salmon
    3-Pacific Salmon
    4-Steelhead

I`m not including bill fish and tuna, I'm not sure about how those fish could even take a fly without chumming so my disclaimer is a fish taking a fly without assistances of chum, bait or scents.

Pffft...A Yellowfin or Bluefin Tuna for pure strength
    "We Are The People Our Parents Warned Us About"

Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia

Tuna,Sailfish and Marlin are in a league of their own alright,but for mere mortals like me the strongest fighting fish I've caught are Milkfish and GT's.....Your Bluefish (we call them Tailor in Australia) are OK but not in the above company.You want tough?
    How about the Papuan Black Bass?

I am going to be contrarian here. I vote for the sail cat. I fish a 3wt in the glades for lady fish and the keeper mangrove snapper or sheep head for dinner when it's just a lazy evening. But, I swear there is one catfish per square yard in the glades, and a two pound sail cat will make a similar sized jack, or baby tarpon look like a joke on an ultralight outfit ( plus the spines and slime). No joke, they are considered a trash fish like lady fish and jacks, but as light tackle guy I love all three.

10. Likes karstopo liked this post
    Blog Entries

Gafftopsail are strong, they’d be real bad boys if they got bigger. I bet they are something on a 3wt.
    Wherever you go, there you are.

Quote Originally Posted by unknownflyman View Post

I`m not including bill fish and tuna, I'm not sure about how those fish could even take a fly without chumming so my disclaimer is a fish taking a fly without assistances of chum, bait or scents.
    I have caught many pacific sails over 100 lbs on a fly...they are not chummed....you troll teasers and as soon as the fish chases the teaser the mate reels in the teaser, the captain puts the boat in neutral, the mate then pulls the teaser in the boat..the billfish gets pissed the teaser is gone and will usually attack the fly as soon as you cast it and give it some motion...one time I made the perfect cast but the captain up in the tower got too excited and dropped his big slice of watermelon which splashed a couple feet from my fly. the billfish turned and ate the watermellon slice and took off...The captain apologized but I could only laugh...caught 3 or 4 that day so I could afford to laugh...otherwise would not have been that funny....

BTW, there is nothing wrong with chumming up saltwater fish to fly fish to...One of the greatest days I have ever had was fishing with Capt Pat Dineen and Capt David Mangum anchored up and chumming for kings, blackfin, little tunny, and sharks....the action was non stop....absolute blast as pelagics blasted past the boat from all directions. the speed at which they snag the fly is amazing. you will never see such speed in fresh water....

13. Likes tcorfey liked this post
  14. Default Re: What’s the biggest fight - Saltwater Edition

Yellow fin tuna.

2 great moments in the fight, when you hook up and when it comes alongside the boat.

Regards,

Trevor

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast