Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tin shot

Default Re: tin shot

Quote Originally Posted by okaloosa View Post
    I am not an eco-nut but I would prefer to go lead free.
    I've never tried it, but I would think I could make my twist-ons with the no-tox wire I use when I tie if I was concerned about the lead.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

Quote Originally Posted by ontheflymn View Post
    Big fan of Dinsmore shot. Never had much luck with putty sticking on like split shot.
    Used tungsten putty for years but it needs something to stick to and anchor it or it slides all over the place, ruining presentation, and eventually lets go, hence the small shot to mould it around.
    There are float silicon rubber anchors available, sorry to say we call them snotties, which don't add extra weight and the putty can be moulded around then reliably, they have to be added to the leader before the fly and butt up against the hook eye or a sliding, or fixed, stop knot.
    I also use small diameter tungsten/rubber rig tubing, that also needs to be threaded onto the leader before the fly is tied on but can be pushed over the hook eye to keep it in place.

Quote Originally Posted by bumble54 View Post
    Used tungsten putty for years but it needs something to stick to and anchor it or it slides all over the place, ruining presentation, and eventually lets go, hence the small shot to mould it around.
    There are float silicon rubber anchors available, sorry to say we call them snotties, which don't add extra weight and the putty can be moulded around then reliably, they have to be added to the leader before the fly and butt up against the hook eye or a sliding, or fixed, stop knot.
    I also use small diameter tungsten/rubber rig tubing, that also needs to be threaded onto the leader before the fly is tied on but can be pushed over the hook eye to keep it in place.
    I'll stick with split shot and not overcomplicate things.

4. Likes bumble54 liked this post

I tried tin shot and found it to be completely useless. It's simply not dense enough...the current pushes it faster than it sinks. Might as well be using nothing. I'll pay the extra for tungsten shot if necessary, and keep using the lead everywhere else.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12