Need help with fishing in WY

dryfly87

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new to the site and I have a few questions for y'all. I am a fly guide in NC and I am working in Yellowstone next summer (2011) July-October. I have been to WY a few times (once for the Cutt-slam). My question is where will I be able to catch Golden trout in Wy. I have heard the wind river range but where? Also I would love to fish for some greenbacks. From what I have heard Greenbacks are primarily in Co so I would be willing to make a road trip, Any ideas? I'm not asking for anyone's secret spot here. I just need help finding these fish. The kicker here for me is that I have bad asthma/alergies so wherever I go needs to be no more than a 5 mile hike or so. Hiking at 10,000 ft. is pretty tough. I appreciate any advice.

Also, I have a 4x4 4runner. Any cool 4x4 trails that lead to streams around northwest Wy, Mt or Id?

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
dryfly87: With your asthma, you probably will have a tough time in the Wind River area. Here is an article on hiking and fishing for Goldens that might provide some insight. Golden Trout in Wyoming

Here is another article on Goldens: Adventure In The Winds: The Elusive Golden Trout

Here is another article on Glodens: Fish in Sublette County, Wyoming

I'd recommend getting a copy of this book: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Flyfishers-Guide-Wyoming-Yellowstone-Flyfishing/dp/1932098100/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1292254649&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Flyfisher's Guide to Wyoming: Including Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks (Flyfishing Guides) (Flyfishing Guides) (Flyfishing Guides) (9781932098105): Ken Retallic: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51iWj-c%2BxxL.@@AMEPARAM@@51iWj-c%2BxxL[/ame]

For Greenbacks, look in Rocky Mountain National Park.

Larry

sevenmxf

Reaction score
Take a look at the Beartooth Lakes area along highway 212 in NW Wyoming (Shoshone National Forest). While I've not been to that area, I'm planning a trip to WY in July and have done a bit of research.

I'd second mcnerney's suggestion re: the Flyfisher's Guide to Wyoming.

Cheers!
Michael

dryfly87

Reaction score
Thanks alot guys. Michael, are you referring to 4x4 trails located near Beartooth? Or one of my specific species located there?

Also thanks Larry I will be sure to pick that book up sometime in the next few weeks. I think the tough part of my trip will be deciding if I could leave or not. My dream is to live in West Yellowstone, Mt.

I had a new Hyde Signature series that I took to the South Holston river in TN. Some meth head hillbillies stole my car with the new boat on the back otherwise I would be filling my time with float trips. Maybe i'll be able to afford a guide raft by then, we'll see. Thanks again

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
dryfly87: Sorry to hear the bad news about losing your car and Hyde Drift boat, I sure hope you had insurance.

West Yellowstone or the Island Park would be a great place to hang your hat that is for sure, good luck next session. Lots of angling opportunities in that area.

Another good source of info on the Wind River Mountains would be to send a PM to 2PawsRiver, he has backpacked into that area and fished a number of waters.
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/rocky-mountain-range/44657-backpacking-fishing-winds.html

http://www.markandchrislundin.com/Fishing.htm

Larry

Last edited:

sevenmxf

Reaction score
Thanks alot guys. Michael, are you referring to 4x4 trails located near Beartooth? Or one of my specific species located there?

Also thanks Larry I will be sure to pick that book up sometime in the next few weeks. I think the tough part of my trip will be deciding if I could leave or not. My dream is to live in West Yellowstone, Mt.

I had a new Hyde Signature series that I took to the South Holston river in TN. Some meth head hillbillies stole my car with the new boat on the back otherwise I would be filling my time with float trips. Maybe i'll be able to afford a guide raft by then, we'll see. Thanks again
dryfly - I PM'd you.