Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  24
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Suggestions, advice and gearing Up - how many leaders and flies, etc?

I use a blood knot for adding tippet or modifying a leader. It is small and the two sections are in line rather than offset as other knots. Note that a blood know results in the two lines are "in line."

Other popular knots are the double surgeon's knot and the orvis tippet knot. However, both offset the two sections as in the double surgeon's knot below.

If you are joining fluorocarbon to nylon mono use a triple surgeon's knot.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

2. Likes hairwing530 liked this post
  3. Default Re: Suggestions, advice and gearing Up - how many leaders and flies, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
    I use a blood knot for adding tippet or modifying a leader. It is small and the two sections are in line rather than offset as other knots. Note that a blood know results in the two lines are "in line."

Other popular knots are the double surgeon's knot and the orvis tippet knot. However, both offset the two sections as in the double surgeon's knot below.

If you are joining fluorocarbon to nylon mono use a triple surgeon's knot.

Thanks!

Was also wondering what are the key rigs I should try fishing (straight dry, straight wet, dry w/ wet dropper, euro nymph, etc) and if there's a certain priority or order I should proceed down. Was also curious when it makes sense to use an indicator?

Default Re: Suggestions, advice and gearing Up - how many leaders and flies, etc?

"Was also wondering what are the key rigs I should try fishing (straight dry, straight wet, dry w/ wet dropper, euro nymph, etc) and if there's a certain priority or order I should proceed down. Was also curious when it makes sense to use an indicator? "

This will vary widely among anglers, conditions, time of the year, etc.

Even on the same stream at the same time, anglers will fish different methods. It's all about what works for you and your skill/comfort level.

However, there are times when conditions all pretty much dictate the particular rig that will catch fish.

In short, there really is no right and wrong answer.

Don't overthink it.
    Mainline the blueline

5. Likes hairwing530 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by jplee3 View Post
    Thanks!

Was also wondering what are the key rigs I should try fishing (straight dry, straight wet, dry w/ wet dropper, euro nymph, etc) and if there's a certain priority or order I should proceed down. Was also curious when it makes sense to use an indicator?
    There are many, many ways that anglers decide what to do.

Some anglers prefer a certain method over others. For example, some will only fish dry flies; others may nymph most of the time.

Some anglers will vary what they they do by how they feel that day.

Some will vary what they do by the type of water or locations they fish. For example, on the Madison River, I nymph most of the time.

Some will vary by the season. For example, during summer in hopper season and in a river that has grassy banks on both sides, many anglers will fish a hopper dropper.

Some will fish for big fish on some days and use streamers.

I monitor the hatches and what nymphs are in the water AT the location I am fishing. So if there is a hatch and I see rising fish, I will fish a dry pattern that matches what is hatching. If I know I am early for the hatch, I will use a nymph that matches the nymph of the what will hatch. I will then fish an emerger dropper off a dry pattern that matches the hatch, then when the emerger stops working; I just use the dry. I try to "follow" the hatch progression.

If there is nothing hatching, I may find some riffles and use a dry dropper with a generic dry or a dry attractor like a Royal Wulff. Or I may fish generic nymph like a PT where mayflies hatch or a hare's ear in caddis water, or an attractor nymph like a small prince nymph.

You have got to follow your own desires. There are two main paths. The first is try to catch as many fish as you can. The other is to fish the way you enjoy fishing.

For me, I prefer dry fly fishing during a hatch because I enjoy SEEING the take and I get immediate feedback if a feeding trout does NOT take my presentation. With nymphing, I don't know if and when a fish has REFUSED my offering. Even when there are no fish rising, I can read the water and if I think there is a trout in a prime lie, and present a dry fly that it takes, there is satisfaction in that.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

7. Likes photoguy, hairwing530 liked this post
  8. Default Re: Suggestions, advice and gearing Up - how many leaders and flies, etc?

Thanks all!

As a sidebar, I was curious if any of you have recommendations on places nearby the Springville area for sightseeing off the beaten path as well as things we shouldn't miss. Both preferably good with younger kids in mind (toddler, preschool and elementary). My friend threw out General Sherman but that's like another 2-3 hours away!! There's gotta be closer sights to see that won't cause us to forfeit our time to driving around.

EDIT I see Trail of 100 Giants which seems cool and kid-friendly. As well as Lake Success - maybe a boat ride on one of those patio boats would be nice. And they let you fish off those boats too, apparently. But I think the only fish in that lake are bass -trout would have been nice too.
    Last edited by jplee3; 11-01-2019 at 05:33 PM.

9. Default Re: Suggestions, advice and gearing Up - how many leaders and flies, etc?

Quick report: didn't end up catching anything. I had maybe a couple hours max to fish a very small section of swimming holes at a turn-off several miles east of Lower Coffee Camp. I didn't see any fish in the pools but there had to have been one or two. One hole I *thought* I saw a splash as I was casting...if it was a fish, I probably spooked it. I tried a prince nymph and then a dry fly dropper (though I probably tied it in the wrong order lol) with a green/olive patterned nymph and dry fly (trying to imitate a blue winged olive). Didn't really see many insects around though. I spotted the bigger pools and trail near power house area north of that the next day but didn't have time to stop so wanted to return the following AM. Unfortunately, my kid got strep at the start of the trip so it put a huge damper on everything (waking up multiple times at night crying). In short, it was a huge tease but I suppose it was good getting a line wet versus not. This trip has made me want to go back for more - not necessarily there but really anywhere in the Sierras. Tough to get away from the wife and kids though - even when we're on vacation up there my wife doesn't like the idea of it lol.

Sorry your trip didn't go perfectly but better a lousy trip then no trip at all.

I usually fish the sections of creeks with current and not the big slow holes. The fish a less spooky and have a harder time seeing you thru the turbulance. And I move a lot! I'll thow a fly into a nice section a few times and catch what I can, or not, and move on as soon as the action abates. This puts your fly in front of many more fish and greatly increases your chances of catching fish.
    My best vacation is your worst nightmare. After all, it's only really fun if it is at least Type 2 fun.

11. Default Re: Suggestions, advice and gearing Up - how many leaders and flies, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by satyr View Post
    Sorry your trip didn't go perfectly but better a lousy trip then no trip at all.

I usually fish the sections of creeks with current and not the big slow holes. The fish a less spooky and have a harder time seeing you thru the turbulance. And I move a lot! I'll thow a fly into a nice section a few times and catch what I can, or not, and move on as soon as the action abates. This puts your fly in front of many more fish and greatly increases your chances of catching fish.
    Thanks! I fished maybe 3-4 different sections/areas of pools both calmer and also ones that had riffles (some slow and fast). I didn't have a chance to cycle through too many different flies. On that note, do you guys prefer retying flies every time or do you use those quick snaps to change out flies quicker?

I really need to get back up to the mountains to fish but it's tough finding the time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123