Tippets? Mono or fluerocarbon?

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Which do yall prefer? Or is one better than the other or do they each have their time and place?
All I use is fluoro, I want the best edge I can get. Flouro will tend to sink where mono will tend to float, but I normally don't fish small dries anyway. I mostly fish sub-surface (nymphs and streamers) or with big flies (hoppers and chernobyl ants). If you fish highly pressured fish like on tailwaters you will need fluoro to catch fish. On the rare occasion that I fish small mountain streams with small dries, then I switch to mono.

Larry

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
When Fluorocarbon was introduced I started using it for my level leaders for streamer fishing. You could get a higher break strength with a thinner strand so it made sense. Then I started using it to tip my leaders for dry fly fishing with no problem.

The only thing I noticed was that if you were not careful when making your blood knots and the Orvis knot to the fly they could slip. You have to test the knots well. Also be sure to stick with quality material, I have had several spools of fluorocarbon that were brittle. No way were they what the label said when it came to break strength.

Here I use level Maxima for heavy level leaders and 8 - 10 lb fluorocarbon for trout / steelhead fishing. On the rare dry fly day I use old leaders from my wallet and have no idea what they are, I just test the knots and then fish.

FlyBum

Reaction score
I only use Flouro...I have only used Rio, so my experience has only been good as all of Rio's stuff is top notch in my opinion.

After New Years though I've been planning buying the Froghair leader tying kit and begin tying my and my son's leaders to save a little money and to learn about leader design so that I can customise my own. That kit has come with great recommendations from quite a few forum members here so I'm assuming Froghair is excellent quality flouro as well.

O

okuma

Personally, I don't use fluro. I tried. Didn't like it. My preference in all my fishing is Maxima tippet

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I should jump on the Rio bandwagon too because it has been good stuff. The brittle brands were all cheap brand X stuff I bought when on the road and selection was not an option.

Reaction score
After New Years though I've been planning buying the Froghair .
Stop Dont Do it Man!
I was at the Denver ISE a few years back and found Froghair for $9 a three tippet pack 5,6,7X I thought I was dreaming. so I plunked down $9 like a kid in a candy store,big grin on my face. Headed to the water and loaded the 5x up and snap,Hum? "moisten the knot with saliva before pulling tight"? Hum?
attempted another ...snap..same result. I could never get it to hold or stay in one piece. So now I use it for eye's on my mysis shrimps and a funky bug I tie.
I too am RIO all the way but not so much on the flouro. Heck all fly's have a ginormus hunk of metal hanging out their rectum. If that don't spoke a fish nothin will.
Always put your toy's away when your done playing with them!
Steve

seajay

Reaction score
Re: Tippets? Mono or fluorocarbon?

As far as Fluro, Seguar is the best I have found. Take it I have only used it for S/W Inshore on conventional,and as a leader for trolling live bait King fishing.
Also have had great success with Pink Ande. I recently received a sample of
OHERO Fluro nice stuff. There 20# is 0.40mm nice supple line.
As far as mono I like the Berkley line. Trying to find a resonable source for Maxima. to give it a try.

Joni

Reaction score
I use furled leaders and ALWAYS fluorocarbon tippet even on #32 dries.

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
I use furled leaders and ALWAYS fluorocarbon tippet even on #32 dries.
Trust me, Joni knows. Good advice. The only thing we disagree on is I build and use "Twisted" leaders and Joni builds and uses her own "Furled" leaders - same concept, personal preference :D

Kelly

Joni

Reaction score
trust me, joni knows. Good advice. The only thing we disagree on is i build and use "twisted" leaders and joni builds and uses her own "furled" leaders - same concept, personal preference :d

kelly
yea! Lol

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I use mostly mono but carry some fluro also. I agree with fishngolf16 that different circumstances may require mono or fluero. I like Frog Hair and have never had any break as stated by dang old king. The down side to Frog Hair is its price but I think it is worth the extra cost.

When using mono for dry fly fishing the last few inches next to the fly should sink. At least that is what I prefer.

Frank

Fly2Fish

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I use mostly mono but carry some fluro also. I agree with fishngolf16 that different circumstances may require mono or fluero. I like Frog Hair and have never had any break as stated by dang old king. The down side to Frog Hair is its price but I think it is worth the extra cost.

When using mono for dry fly fishing the last few inches next to the fly should sink. At least that is what I prefer.

Frank
Like Frank said. I too have never had any problems with my preferred tippet, Frogs Hair, unlike what Dang Old King experienced. And also like Frank, the last few inches of tippet next to a dry should sink for a better presentation.

cpowell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Re: Tippets? Mono or fluorocarbon?

Use both no discrimination allowed. They both have situational advantages.
I agree. Really the mark for me is if my fly is moving (streamer) I use mono and I go heavy. When nymphing I use fluoro if I think I need the advantage...typically in situations where fish are much more pressured but still feed aggressively (frying pan). If I need to get down quicker with less weight and need a site (invisible) advantage as well I use fluoro.

I seem to have gravitated towards Orvis' fluoro now since i have always thought their Super Strong was one of the best monos ever.

.02$

axle27

Reaction score
Mono = dries, slight subsurface

Flouro = streamers, stuff getting way down

Some people complain about knotting flouro but I use a perfection loop and a clinch with no problems....