Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: loop to loop connection

Blog Entries

Default Re: loop to loop connection

You're a night owl

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Blog Entries

lol Not as much as I used to be. I usually turn in in about an hour or two. Just a few years ago that would be mid-afternoon.
    Anthony Laurence
    www.anthonylaurence.net
    Web Developement and Design
    FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog

Blog Entries

There is no perfect solution to the connection when you get into big fish. I have had Cortland Braids ripped off by Great Lakes Kings, I have had nail knots peeled off my line and I've broken a welded loop on Kings too. You gotta go with whatever you are comfortable with.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Blog Entries

Nothings perfect. I have a few lines with the line looped over on the end and then bound with tying thread (I think Frank posted instructions of this a while back) that I had unravel while trying to get un-snagged. I blame myself for possibly not using enough glue on the end. I was still a bit steamed at that one as I lost fly, tippet and leader to the Lake.
    Anthony Laurence
    www.anthonylaurence.net
    Web Developement and Design
    FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog

Caswell's knot to furled leader on all of my rigs. Never had one fail-- granted about the biggest fish I see are 5 Lbs. TOPS.... No (immediate) access to Kings and Steelheads here...

It is not the smallest knot in the world, but it is simple-- and it is by no means 'bulky'. I like that there is only one tag end and it can be 'directed' to a certain orientation.

Ard,

I have had Cortland Braids ripped off by Great Lakes Kings,
    If you are talking about the braided mono loops that come two or three in a package, I would never use them. I had the first one I tried fall apart just from casting. After a buddy of mine showed me how to do them myself, I realized the cortland ones were not made properly.

Cheers,
    Jim

I run a nail knot on all of my trout lines. Steelhead get a braided loop with an "albright" knot using a strand of thin backing...tying it in 2 spots along its length onto the fly line. I also dab each knot with super glue....pretty much full proof and slips through guides easy.

Quote Originally Posted by fishngolf16 View Post
    . . . I used to cut the loop off and tie on leaders but what I noticed the most was the lack of flotation after cutting the loop off.

A couple of years ago at the Denver Fly Fishing show I stopped at the RIO booth and asked the question about cutting off the loop and flotation of the line. I was told the cutting of the line will introduce more water into the line and flotation will be compromised. This is the only issue with the nail knot technique that I know of. Coy
    You can resolve this problem by coating the cut fly line end with Pliobond (or another flexible glue) to keep water from seeping into the fly line core.
    On the whole, I'd rather be in Wyoming . . .
    Fly2:

Now for something completely different.

I use a nail knot to secure my butt to the fly line...I like that knot the very best...small profile, strong.

I then tie a very small loop in the tag end of my butt. I then tie my leader/tippet directly to that loop as though it was the eye of a fly..I use the standard clinch...but I do take the leader around the loop twice...to give another strand for strength. It's easy, its fast..it has less drag and is only a method to use if you are NOT using tapered's. I do not use tapered leaders very often at all unless fine dries are the norm for my adventure.

This technique is excellent for nymphing and buggers.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
    You can resolve this problem by coating the cut fly line end with Pliobond (or another flexible glue) to keep water from seeping into the fly line core.
    Great idea I may have to give the old nail knot another try. Thanks
    Coy
    "Share your passion with others"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast