Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10

Thread: furled leaders?

Default furled leaders?

since I have never used one I would like to hear from experienced dry fly fishermen about pros and cons especially for fishing midges (#22-24) in windy terrain.
    Thank you..
    norm

Default Re: furled leaders?

Ive been using mono furled leaders for a few months,its all been 'pros',have experienced no 'cons'

3. Likes hairwing530 liked this post

If you scroll down to Freshwater Articles I wrote an analysis of Cutthroat Nylon Furled leaders and how to extend them for dry fly usage. Like op, I too give them a thumbs up.

5. Likes pickadrake, ejsell, hairwing530 liked this post
    Blog Entries

We just started a new sale for our most common leaders.
    The idea is to get happy customers to give some popular items as gifts to fellow fly fishers. Our best advertising is word of mouth from happy customers.
    Use the coupon code 2019 at checkout to save 25% off of our Dry Fly leaders, Hi-Vis nymph leaders and our Big Bug leaders.
    The savings also work for our most popular Combo pack. The Brown Trout Combo. It has two dry fly leaders and one Hi-Vis nymph.

Thank you for the interest.

7. Likes sweetandsalt, ejsell, hairwing530 liked this post

Thumbs down Re: furled leaders?

Hi Norm,

I am also pretty much sold on nylon furled leaders and consider the Cutthroat brand to be the best i have used. I have only tried the thread ones several times, so probably canít say that they are in any way inferior, but the nylon ones seem to turn the fly over better in wind and with longer tippet.

S&S wrote a great article about using those leaders and it is down under articles. About the only thing I do different from his recommendations is to eschew the loop-to-loop connections in favor of a tippet ring. I just have had bad results with loop connections so I prefer either knots or the rings. Part of that is convenience and the fact that I change rigging back and forth more often than he does because I use those leaders for nymphs, streamers and wet flies as well as dries.

I think if you try them, you will be pleased with the results. But it is very important that you step the tippet down as S&S recommends rather than just using a longer piece of level tippet. About the only place i go directly to one size of tippet is with streamers where I generally just tie on a length of 3X. I seldom fish very large streamers, usually sticking to size 8 to 12.

They make heavier nylon furled leaders for use with larger flies and stronger tippets, but I generally just use regular mono if I want to go that heavy. I would think that with your Hardy 4 wt that you would be fine with a nylon furled and then 3X.

Mike at Cutthroat is a sponsor of this forum and gives a discount for forum members if you want to order from him.

Good luck,

Don

Edit to apologize for duplicating info in the above post from Mike but we must have been typing at the same time. I have given some fishing companions some of Mikeís leaders and they have all been impressed. I need to try some his heavier leaders for streamers.

Don

9. Likes sweetandsalt, hairwing530 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by sparsegraystubble View Post
    Hi Norm,

I am also pretty much sold on nylon furled leaders and consider the Cutthroat brand to be the best i have used. I have only tried the thread ones several times, so probably can’t say that they are in any way inferior, but the nylon ones seem to turn the fly over better in wind and with longer tippet.

S&S wrote a great article about using those leaders and it is down under articles. About the only thing I do different from his recommendations is to eschew the loop-to-loop connections in favor of a tippet ring. I just have had bad results with loop connections so I prefer either knots or the rings. Part of that is convenience and the fact that I change rigging back and forth more often than he does because I use those leaders for nymphs, streamers and wet flies as well as dries.

I think if you try them, you will be pleased with the results. But it is very important that you step the tippet down as S&S recommends rather than just using a longer piece of level tippet. About the only place i go directly to one size of tippet is with streamers where I generally just tie on a length of 3X. I seldom fish very large streamers, usually sticking to size 8 to 12.

They make heavier nylon furled leaders for use with larger flies and stronger tippets, but I generally just use regular mono if I want to go that heavy. I would think that with your Hardy 4 wt that you would be fine with a nylon furled and then 3X.

Mike at Cutthroat is a sponsor of this forum and gives a discount for forum members if you want to order from him.

Good luck,

Don

Edit to apologize for duplicating info in the above post from Mike but we must have been typing at the same time. I have given some fishing companions some of Mike’s leaders and they have all been impressed. I need to try some his heavier leaders for streamers.

Don
    Don,
    Thanks for the reply. I definitely will try their leaders....I did read S&S's thread...very informative.
    I really need a leader than transfers power more efficiently yet supple enough for the perfect presentation these PhD trout here demand esp when using 6x tippet..
    norm

11. Likes hairwing530 liked this post