Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  128
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Default Re: So what's your favorite junk fly, where is your line?

Well, its just one lake, plenty of walleyes in Minnesota, but mille lacs is a walleye factory, natural reproduction is good, it just takes time, it was over fished. Sometimes I hear my dad's words come out of my mouth, Just leave the fish alone. Fish somewhere else.

2. Likes ia_trouter liked this post

I was thinking more like small Triple Teasers or the tiny Flatfish that are only about an inch long. They're a lot lighter than a conehead wooly bugger, much less some of those big articulated monsters.

4. Likes ia_trouter, trev liked this post

I think most of the guys on here are too young to remember when most fly fishers had a secret box that had a couple tiny Colorado spinners that they could pull out when the going got tough.

Those also were much lighter than the stone fly nymphs or cone head buggers that we run through deep holes and runs today.

Don

6. Likes ia_trouter, trev, markfrid, tsmervis liked this post

Assuming it's legal, a fly is only a junk fly if it doesn't catch fish. Yes, there are flies (like mop flies or egg patterns) that I won't fish, but that's because I'm not interested in them, not because they're junk.
    Bob

8. Likes kentuckysteve, Fly2bTied, ia_trouter liked this post

I don't care if you find some carpet fuzz tie it to a hook and fish it on fly gear, its a fly. LOL. I agree about there are no junk flies, you should have seen some of my first fly tying creations, I swear I heard trout laughing and I didn't catch any fish.

My first really insane dry fly experience with catching large stocker rainbows one after the other on one of my tied creations was by sheer accident. I believe in happy accidents and have come to appreciate the learning experiences they provide usually much later for me as I recapped the evening of fishing in later years.

I didn't have many materials, I could barely wind fur on a hook, but I found some white rabbit dub and wound it on a size 14 dry fly hook and I fuzzed it up by the eye. That was it. I tied one.

Later that evening my friend came over that said he liked to fly fish and we went out, I caught fish after fish he caught nothing, nothing. Needless to say he tried to match my horrible looking fly but he didn't have anything white. He fished in pure frustration putting on everything he had in the box and fish were near the surface feeding.

Years later when I was studying some patterns and local entomology I stumbled on it and the light bulb went on, My fly that provided my first 100 fish day was by sheer luck a crane fly larvae and was fished at the exact right time.

I still have it in my box, I never fished it again, but if I posted a pic of that fly you guys would laugh and call it a junk fly, to me its special.

Peace

Here's a true confession regarding junk flies. It was my second day fly fishing and I had no clue what I was doing. First day went very well with a mentor, caught some little browns and stocker bows. I probably owned a dozen flies I had bought, and most of them were panfish or bass flies which I hadn't ever fished for yet. So a few days later I head to a stocker bow stream. It's mid August and 85F easy. Mid day and sunny. I find a half dozen bows hanging out in some protected dead still shallow water. I proceeded to empty my fly box. A dozen or so casts then tie on the next fly. The first couple casts they swim over to check it out, then nothing of course because I've beaten the water to a froth, but I see them and dammit I'm gonna catch one. I finally get down to a San Juan worm. Of course that didn't work either. But wait, this gets worse. I've still some got spinning gear tackle in this little Cabela's bag I'm carrying. I'm rummaging around and see a small jar of Berkeley Powerbait I hadn't even opened yet. I dipped the SJ worm in the sauce and now the fish are interested. I got a couple strikes, got in the car and drove home thinking what a bust that day was. Vowed now that I had proven to myself attractants work, I should not do that ever again. I think I found this forum just a few days later and started working on my elitist game.

11. Likes tx_newb, trev, kentuckysteve, dennyk liked this post

I leave the "what is a fly?" and "what is fly fishing?" definitions up to the state. The state I lived in when the fly rod found me defined "fly fishing" as done "with a fly rod and a single action reel" for their ffo waters; which leaves it open to spinners, spoons , live bait , what ever you can cast with a fly rod and a single action reel. But the daintiest dry fly in the world would have been illegal if you used an automatic fly reel or a multiplying fly reel.
    Time flies and where I live now 'Fly" for the purpose of ffo is defined as using a list of possible materials "tied, glued or permanently fastened to a single point hook" the fly is the determining factor so a Rooster Tail on a spinning rig is legally fly fishing.
    I just go on the way I always have and don't fret over what anyone else does, because I have fun my way and won't let thoughts of them spoil it.
    Any fly that gets wet three or four times and doesn't get bit is a junk fly and it gets field modified and if that doesn't work, it goes back to the vise for a strip and rebuild.
    I still have a flatfish and a Little Cleo and a few Colorado spinners but they aren't legal in the fly only areas, so haven't been used in a while.

Blog Entries

When I'm having "one of those days" on the stream it's quite often the junkiest, ugliest fly I have in my box that works!

Denny

Quote Originally Posted by dennyk View Post
    When I'm having "one of those days" on the stream it's quite often the junkiest, ugliest fly I have in my box that works!

Denny
    One man's junk is another man's treasure. It is exactly the same with fish.
    I tie no junk flies but i sometimes tie unidentifiable globs of fur and flash on hooks that fish seem to go crazy for at times.
    -Steve

"There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm."-Patrick f. McManus

15. Likes dennyk, ia_trouter liked this post

I have 4-5 cigar boxes full of "junk flies"
    Maybe some day I'll get around to stripping them so that I can reuse the hooks, but as of now that looks doubtful.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

17. Likes ia_trouter liked this post
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567