Great Day.

2ltdjorn

Reaction score
Today I had planned to head to the local tailwater.

I scoped the generation schedules, and was surprised to see they would not be running water.

I optimistically went to Kroger to get my groceries for the journey.

My packing list is routine, consistent...
4x Dasani.
3x Mountain Dew
3x Sunkist
2 Snickers
3x Hormel Snack Pack (ham/cheese, turkey/cheese, pepperoni/cheese)
Pringles - Sour/Cream

I put the yeti by the fridge in the ready!

I repacked the night before, and had my rods pre-rigged (this has saved me 30 minutes @ the river).

Past experiences have taught me that no generation is tough fishing, so when my alarm went off at 0400 I hit snooze. At 430 I woke, and pulled through. I through my pre-laid out clothes on, and stuffed the yeti.

15 minutes and the car was packed and I was headed west.

The drive is 2.5 hours.

I usually listen to audiobooks, with particular interest in John Gierach's work. However the majority of the drive was in silence with the flapping of the soft top (Jeep Wrangler) in the wind.

As I got within striking distance I was greeted by a beautiful sunrise at 0647 AM. I arrived at my fishing location at 704. By 710 I had my sweatpants and waders on and was heading down the trail to the river. I was disappointed as no other cars were there... surely I was the fool to chase unrealistic expectations.

I have alway thought the brook trout is one of the most beautiful fish, our local tailwater started restocking them a year or so ago. Its been my ambition to catch one, to this date I have failed.

When I got to the bottom of the trail, and stood on the bank I was breathed the fresh air and took in the scenery. I was greeted by a small pod of brook trout in the shallows. I laughed as this was about par for the course, have always wanted to catch one... only to be taunted by a few uncatchable ones so close to the shore in a pocket of still/shallow/clear water.

I shrugged, and headed closer to the down.

I have read up on the river, and probably been there more than 30 times. I took advantage of my reading, and after observing the local flies. I saw a "light-colored" hatch going on. I tied on a light Cahill #16/#18 and threw it into the ripples... before I finished the washout I was surprised to see a ripple... then my fly was gone.

I raised my road, and felt the gentle pull of a fish.

After a quick, but exciting battle I netted a beautiful brook trout at about 11 inches.

I had a solid 5 hours of dry fly action. BWO, Cahills, Adams.... they ate them all! When they were taking dries, they were eating RS2 and BH pheasant tails.

The rest of the morning was great, hitting dries and midges. I lost count after the 20th brook trout and maybe 12 rainbow trout. It was one of the greatest days I have enjoyed this far.

I finished the day and got out of my waders, and headed to the local fly shop to replenish some flies. I don't really need any flies, but the purchase supports the economy I suppose. I got some nice Red Ass, BWO, and Red/Black midges.

On the way out of town I stopped at the gas station to take a leak. They had a nice display of local fly patterns, $25 later I had some new emergers.

At the end of the day I enjoyed a Mountain Dew and Sunkist, ate my Hormel Ham/Cheese snack pack.

It was exhilarating.

Last edited:

Thwarptide

Reaction score
Outstanding! Well put story line had my attention. The colorful description of the scenery had me there right with you. I was totally prepared for a no catch blow out. We've all had such blow-outs and still ended the adventure much better off than when we began it, for the sheer beauty of the environment garnished by the fact that not another soul was lurking about.

Then what you've waited so long for, the capture and release of the elusive Brook Trout(s) was the days trophy; and should you ever experience such a fine day again, it would pale in comparison. There's sort of a sad bit to this in that there was no fishing bud around to capture all the moments for you. But then again, sometimes the best photographer could never capture such perfect moments. They're best cherished in mind and heart, being relived through the telling of the story as colorfully to a child on the knee. (or a bunch guys enjoying hot coffee round the camp fire).

I'm too big a kid (with a bald head) to sit on yer knee, but thanks for sharing the adventure just the same.(beautiful fish they are no doubt)

Matt4.0

Reaction score
Great report!

Have you read Gierach’s books in hard copy as well? Hope so as they are better imo. I’m an audible junkie with my work travels (somewhere around 150 books in my library) but the narrator in the first Gierach book I tried was terrible. With that said I just stared a new one with a different narrator who is better so far.

srock

Reaction score
Outstanding report. I have been on some similar trips. It’s more than the fishing - its the experience. Thanks for sharing. SROCK

JDR

Reaction score
The beauty of your story is: there is nothing that you could add that would have made the day even a little bit better. Indeed, it does sound like a perfect day. Savor!

okaloosa

Reaction score
I never start a fishing day trip without a mountain dew also...nice report.

2ltdjorn

Reaction score
Snuck back over yesterday. I’ll update my report...

But got a brown (with three eyes), rainbow and brook for the trifecta.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunter Gathers

Reaction score
Love this! Well done.

I'm enamored by brook trout and really hope to catch one next year (some streams in the ~5hr range from me contain native brook and wild brown).